Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shimano crank recall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Not quite right MB - after a lot of toing and froing, I eventually got a credit note for £142+VAT but had long before bought a 105 crankset for €124 on Bike24. Marginally heavier but not glued (doesn't bonded sound so much better?) like the Ultegra & Dura Ace.

Still kicking myself I didn't go for the silver 105 though I'm not sure it was an option on Bike24

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Looks like the bike shops in the UK are not gonna make a call on the safety of the cranks and rightly so.

WA's split along the length of the crank where the two parts are joined but, from memory, there was also a crack across the crank just above the pedal. On mine, (5 min later!) when I put sideways pressure on the end of the crank, the spider arms started coming apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ciarano

I logged a case today with the Ccpc. Ie / Competition and Consumer Protection Commission who are now looking into this and will revert.

I spoke with them for 40 mins,

I also spoke with Shimano in the Netherlands and they were of no assistance just redirected me back to going to the LBS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

What is the case about? That Shimano should replace all cranks before any issues become obvious visually or something else?

Exactly it should be a full recall and not a partial recall based on the LBS/Shimano service center inspection especially when you have an affected part number ,Nor should you have to inspect every time you ride the bike ,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what powers do the CCPC have when the products in question are four years older or more? on a pure simple warranty issue, shimano could wipe their hands of it - but obviously it's not that simple as shimano have basically admitted a manufacturing flaw.

Have a look at the CCPC website and have a read they have a lot of power

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Happened a year or two back.. was wondering what was wrong with my bike, thought it was the cleats, then a mate spotted🫨

Think ill wait a while til their replacement programme gets going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

I can see why Shimano want to string this out - even with bike/part demand falling off a cliff, replacing 760,000 cranks (was that worldwide or just North America?) is a big deal, especially now that they've moved on to the new shiny-shiny in 12 speed (though I suspect a chainset from a 12 speed drivetrain would work perfectly well with 11 speed). Am I right in assuming they're replacing the entire chainset, both crank arms, spider, and the chainrings? I've only ever heard of the drive side failing, but would assume the same could apply to the left crank.

Now stressing I'm not wearing "I am a lawyer" hat, 'cause I don't have one, I'd say that by issuing the "voluntary" recall, there's a tacit admission on their part that the parts are faulty. From the CCPC website, "A business must always sell you a product that; (i) is fit for the purpose it is normally used for; (ii) works for a reasonable time with normal use". It would appear there's plenty of evidence that the cranks have failed catastrophically, which would be a big X against (i), but what's a reasonable amount of time, and what's normal use? A grand tour rider will probably put will over 20k km in a year, a weekend warrior might be less that 1000 - which is "normal". There's also the safety aspect - it's not the inconvenience of a TV going on the blink, there's a real risk here of getting chucked under a truck if it were to go suddenly while putting the power down.

The might get away with their approach in the good ol' US of A, but if EU consumer authorities get their teeth into it, Shimano's balance sheet will be taking a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

760k was North America only I understand. There have been left crank failures also, but only for Dura Ace 9000 & 9100 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Will the cover a crank with alternative chainrings fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Excellent point! Quick, out to the shed with me!

Excellent point Nicks, quick, out to the shed with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

hambini has an interesting take on it.he thinks its galvanic corrosion.

if you can put up with hambini that is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is galvanic corrosion not caused by two different metals coming into contact? i would have assumed both parts of the crank were the same aloy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

Connecting shaft is steel.

Post edited by hesker on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hindsight is great but in my situation, for a good few kms before the final fail, the drive side rotation just didn't feel right. I had assumed that my cleat had either loosened or moved position slightly and was intending to check it out when I got home. It wasn't enough to affect the ride as such and I continued as normal. Obviously it was the begining of the fail which, when it happened, was an audible but dull crack while taking off at a junction. The crank didn't come completely apart and I managed to 'nurse' it as far as Mercian Pro's house by pedaling with most of the pressure on my left leg and dismounting on steeper climbs.

according to this video - you can request multiple inspections, power meters don't exclude you, and any shimano reseller (not just authorised service centres) can perform the inspection - and they are compensated per inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

I assume this means there is essentially lifetime warranty of the affected chainsets now for this particular issue. So if I get my LBS to check it. They say yeah looks good. Out I go and 6 (or whatever) months down the line it splits then it's replacement. They can't turn around and say no the bike shop checked it and passed it. In which case is that not putting a certain amount of liability onto the shops? A LBS passes it and it fails on the next ride sending me face planting into the tar?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I deal with recalls for a living and I've seen plenty of 'check and if necessary replace' recalls. If a component passes the initial inspection and in x months time it eventually fails, the manufacturer will (almost always) replace the failed component until such time as the recall is finally archived. It's most likely a stance taken by Shimano to minimise costs and to curtail a spike in demand for the component that manufacturing capacity can't meet.

The CCCP will be notified of this via RAPEX but I don't see any mention of it on the EU Safety Gate yet but I think the official date of the Shimano recall was 1st October so there may be a delay before notification. If it's a 'safety recall' it should be listed here soon enough.

FWIW I usually get notified of a recall from the manufacturer about a month before the CCCP get a RAPEX notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Got my Dura Ace 9100 crank checked at the weekend, bike shop had Shimano specific mechanic in there doing the inspection. Got the all clear whilst in there browsing for 30 mins, cranks were removed as part of the inspection. Crank details and my own were collected and presumably input to a system.

Advise was get your cranks registered as checked and any issues down the line the crank will be replaced.

Owner maintains he would be very surprised to see many fail the inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

@Arthurdaly How many kms do you think your crank set has seen? I'd be interested to see if there's a minimum distance before the issue starts to exhibit visual signs of debonding.

Perhaps others could post km distances on crank sets and whether or not they failed or passed inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've heard anecdotally, that riding a lot in cold and wet weather leaves the crank more prone to debonding. I'm not sure why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I would estimate around 30k with a decent chunk of road racing at A1/A2 level. I'm pretty light (68kg) so wouldn't be putting huge strain on the cranks, I'd imagine bigger lads may have a different result.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭secman

Update, I have received a credit of €278 at my LBS for compensation for the failed crank set, had cost me €323 to have it replaced, very happy with that outcome, considering i was totally fobbed off initially, they didn't cover €45 labour charge.

Heading over tonight to get me a Garmin 840 for my belated 66th birthday present to myself 🙂

Picked up a Garmin 840, after discount and Shimano credit, cost me just under €160..Happy out

Post edited by secman on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement