Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shimano crank recall

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ooh; just checked mine, they qualify (they say OD on them)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Birka

I've two qualifying sets here but "The dealer will inspect the crankset for signs of bonding separation," Shimano's statement continues. "Consumers whose cranksets show signs of bonding separation during the inspection will be provided a free replacement crankset from Shimano that the dealer will professionally install. "

It's a bit tricky if they've been bought online....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

On a slightly different note I am currently chasing Shimano through Madison UK for credit on a replacement crankset that i put on the bike to replace one that failed by way of a crack on the driveside crank. They tried to fob me off with the 2 year warranty but I kept at them, it's going on over a month but they back tracked this morning.....wonder why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

I need to check serial numbers on 3 bikes and also the one that's just been replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭dickdasr1234

Hehe, 'crank recall' - I thought you were talking about one of the mods!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

What about power meter cranks i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

About time they've acknowledged this. Been a known issue for years and actually made me deliberatley not buy Shimano cranks!! Stuck to Rotor since and will probably only eer get a Shimano one if its a ful bike purchase (which is less likely as it seems impossible to get a 54/55 tooth front ring from Shimano anymore! Seems their new 7100 is max 53!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

So recall for inspection. Wonder what happens if the crank passes the inspection but then debonds in a year’s time

I have 2 affected cranks. Ultegra and DA

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

The recall processs seems very sketchy. They will only replace it if it doesn't pass inspection but they encourage you to regularly inspect it in case it starts failing at some point in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Guess they cant just recall everything or they'd be hit massively financially. Might they be trying to offsett some form of liability if one fails causing harm and owner couldnt prove they inspected it!

760k units in northern america; at a replacement cost of say $100 each, that'd be $76m. and that's presuming they could make that many cranksets in a few months anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And are they going to pay shops to inspect too

Edit: They're apparently sitting on approx 3.5 billion in cash reserves and have been steadily buying back their shares the last few years. Maybe trying to get ahead of something once and for all. Short term pain etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Are they going to replace my beautiful silver DA9000 crankset with a new one that looks like melted wellington?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

So cigarette box calculations.

"Assuming" Ireland has pro rata the same number of crank sets sold as USA and Canada there has been about 10000 sold here.

We have 15 authorised service centres, which equates to 666 per centre.

I think the evil swines are betting on most cranksets being already dumped/worn/ or on unused forgotten bikes. They are probably not wrong.

I'll like to see my indemnity in writing before I'd start inspecting any cranksets if I owned one of those shops.

Is there a type of use which makes failure more likely; I'd love to see a map of failure locations

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Lovely timing. My 2017 ultegra crankset with approx 35,000kms 🙈 is long long over due replacing, hopefully can get a replacement this side of christmas. Still have my receipt and all.

you need to go out and put some power down, they won't replace it unless they can detect delamination.

i wonder if Mercian Pro will be back on to Madison - IIRC when his failed, because it was out of warranty, they sent him a replacement 105 one instead. does this mean they'll now issue a like-for-like retroactively? or will they consider those old reports as closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The timing couldn't be more ridiculous, a clubmate just posted a pic of his crank that failed last night and asked if anyone had ever seen anything like it before

Is there a type of use which makes failure more likely; I'd love to see a map of failure locations

IIRC it's basically just caused by moisture getting into the compound that bonds the outer and inner part of the crank together; i remember positing on here that wet weather use could be linked to it, but someone (who claimed to know what they were talking about, can't remember who it was) suggested that it'd wick moisture from humid air anyway so cycling in the wet would not specifically be a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

That would be my biggest issue too. Saw this on another forum

Seems the replacement cranks are 12-speed versions modified for 11 speed.

They’ll have to take my DA9000 crank out of my cold dead hand to replace it with that yoke 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I don't think that's an issue, they're not saying you have to bring it back to the original dealer.

"If you have an affected crank, you are advised to immediately stop using it and contact a Shimano dealer or an authorised inspection centre (essentially any store that is familiar with Shimano components and has passed Shimano's maintenance course). The dealer will then perform an inspection, and where signs of delamination or separation are found, a free replacement will be issued."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

My 6800 began to fail a couple of years ago so I replaced it with a 8000 series one. I'm sure I only threw it out recently when I moved, which is just my luck. It was definitely debonded as you could see the flex

what's the difference between 11 and 12 speed at the crankset? i thought the internal width of the chain was the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭JMcL

Is it only applicable to north America at the minute? Seems that way according to the Cycling Weekly story in the linked tweet, though it'll have to be global now they've admitted it's a problem.

They say it's only cranks from before 2019, so you'd imagine more recent ones don't have the issue. Mine (R8000 2020/21 probably) doesn't feature in the list of codes. Also, if the graphic the @Mr. Cats posted is accurate, the replacements look like they "made from girders" as the old Iron Bru ads went

this all started when shimano started making the cranksets (and groupsets) only available in black. i hope they learn their lesson on this. bring back silver groupsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

There has been a wicked creak out of it over the years, for a long time I believed it was the frame. The solution eventually had been to spray the small gaps where the star shaped part of the crank meets the chainset with a tiny drop of tf2 lubricant after any sort of deep clean. But there's never been any sort of wear or deterioration visible to the eye anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Humphries replaced mine at no cost to me after it failed even though it was out of warranty but I don't know if they took the hit for it or passed it on to Shimano.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ciarano

A scenario,

I have 5 affected cranksets i have many bikes so could be time before i know if they become faulty

say I bring to LBS for inspection and they pass

Are shimano seriously asking the LBS to inspect a crank on there behalf? after a recall

What happens if in a short while i have a dodgy crank and i get injured then the blame game would be the LBS ,

should a recall not be a recall in full ?especially when you match the effected part number

Advertisement