Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 - Round 17 - Japan - Suzuka

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

normal service, thats a pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭McFly85

Pretty much. They just showed the end of his Q1 lap which he put 15th at the time which was never going to be good enough.

The car isn’t as good as the start of the season obviously but he’s always around 5 places down from where he should be.

Aston Martin will struggle in the constructors against other mid table teams while he’s there. McLaren are 78 points behind and you really wouldn’t bet against them catching AM before the end of the season. But I really don’t see Lawrence getting rid any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭thefa

Early days but Norris and Piastri is reminding me a little of Sainz and Norris. Piastri looking raw with some race decisions but seems to have some of the best potential of a rookie after a few lacklustre years.

Half of Perez’s issue is his poor qualifying which is an area Norris excels. Guesswork but the podium rate could easily go from ~50% to ~90% and the race wins from 2 to 4 so far. Norris probably converts a few of the rare opportunities where Verstappen started down the grid or hadn’t the most favorable circumstances.

Think Norris still has a fair bit of developing to do before he’d be a title challenger to Verstappen. Probably in a good spot to do it if McClaren stay competitive and he’s regularly racing the quality of drivers at Ferrari and Mercedes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I think on a track like Suzuka Max would be 2 or 3 tenths ahead of anyone else in the same car, a chunk less than the gap to Perez.

Norris said recently he would like to go up against Max in the same team, compare himself to the best or similar he said. Obviously unlikely to happen until his McLaren contract is up or a year later again and by that time Max might be a 4 or 5 time champion - I’d say he would welcome the challenge at that of his career. I’d love to see them in the same team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Would love to know what the craic was with RB last weekend. What changed this weekend? Rolled back an upgrade?

They went from understeer in corners last week to being able to pull 5g in corners this week. The car looked absolutely planted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

strange stuff alright, its a shame it was fixed though, last weekend was actually exciting!

From what I saw online it was a combination of factors - Singapore was always going to be one of their weakest tracks as it suits their car less than other tracks - no long fast corners. They supposedly raised the height of the car because of the bumpy nature of the track, which made it harder than normal for them to warm up the tires (the Red Bull isn't as hard on the tires as other cars which can sometimes hinder them in qualifying vs it being a benefit in the race). They did have a new floor on the car but they still have it on this week so that wouldn't have been a factor. I think it was a case of getting the ride height wrong on a track that doesn't suit the cars' strengths, the same thing happened to Merc a few years back when they were dominating iirc - had a mare of a race at Singapore.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 -F1-

I think Verstappen had the old floor on during the Singapore qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 -F1-

Just watched a reply of Sargents crash in Q1 and the faces of his engineers really says it all.

When James Vowles got interviewed I got the impression that he's had enough of Sargent also.

Post edited by -F1- on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Their car just didn’t do well there because of how low it runs its car. Suzuka is basically tailor made for RB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Max apparently even said before Singapore that they did their sim work for both tracks before Singapore and they were expecting to be poor at Singapore but strong at japan. Which looks to be the case.

So, eh, apparently this is a thing - a kiss activated trophy. Give tomorrow’s trophy a big ole smooch and it will display the colours of your national flag. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭markw7

That is some next-level-bullshittery....kiss activated micro switch technology....f#ck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So the race starts in five hours time and I’m genuinely considering just staying up all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I will be staying up all night. Xbox, Playstation and TV to keep me busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Yeah I mean I’m off Monday next week and I’ll be staying up late to watch American football on Sunday anyway so I could sleep for a few hours tomorrow.

I’ll be watching stuff on YouTube, specifically body cams of drunk drivers in the US.its equal parts funny and alarming that people that **** faced get behind the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

If I’m in bed by 3 I’ll be happy! Then back to bed for a while and all will be good!

My son has had me up since midnight. He's now threatening to go to sleep. Typical.

Might hold off until the reply in sky at 09:30. Or highlights at 12:30 on channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Looks a great day for a race.

• Advertisement

An honest man is Max.

Jean Alesi. Good to see him.

Morning folks. No idea how some of you can stay up all night, just like Sergeant Murtaugh - I’m too old for that ****. 😂

Looking forward to this race. That is a lovely national anthem, singer shed a tear too? Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Got up at 5, couldn't be staying up all night

Same here, but didn't sleep too much due to still being on a rugby high.

I just love the Suzuka circuit.

Just checked how we did, not a rugby fan but delighted to see we won again. Fingers crossed we go all the way.

Two stop race this at least?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Lawson should be handy enough around Suzuka, be nice to see a double points finish for AT! They badly need it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement