Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 8 and 8 Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Is this using the AIB authenticator app? I've a business account with them and it works fine now but for the first 4 months or so after they launched that app I basically couldn't use my business account to buy anything online as it just didn't work at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭bawnBeag

The is no notification, you get an error message from Google that the transaction is not authorized. Nothing from AIB, no SMS or notification in the app to confirm the transaction, nada. Even in the app there is no indication that your card has been blocked. It stinks of old tech "hacked" to work with VISA or maybe having people answer calls is more cost effective than the licensing cost to have full automation from VISA. Anyway this is probably off topic, my apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭wassie

At least once the payment is processed you know that Google deliver...

...as distinct from entering the Vodafone Online Shop lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Just switched my business account over to three and availed of the Pixel 8 Pro. Hopefully I will still qualify for the watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

I'm considering jumping on the 8 Pro. Current phone is Xiaomi Mi 9 128GB that I have since May 2019. Its still working fine but battery life is not what it used to be and if travelling I now have to make sure I have a battery pack with me if I can't plug in. I'm struggling with dropping a grand plus on a phone though??? For the experts - would I see a big improvement in speeds, pictures etc?

I have no interest in the watch as have a smart watch already and its just confirmed I'm not a smart watch fan. I use it for walking and the vibrate alarms, other than that I'd wear my Casios or mechanical watches. No way I'm going from a once a week charge to once a day hassle. So what are the buds like? I have a crap lidl pair but if they are decent they might sway me. Reviews on youtube seem good but thats youtube.

Last question - will teh package deals last a while as I'd like to get some longer term use reviews feedback if possible but mising the buds or watch to flip on makes the deal a lot less attractive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MarsyB

16th of October, you can't get the buds with the pro if you buy anywhere else other than the Google store. I would recommend getting the watch and reselling for 300-350 at least then it brings the price down for you! Or you can buy the buds and pocket the change. In regards to reviews maybe just buy it now for the bundle deal and return it if you don't like it. Pretty sure you would have a legal right within certain time period.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The buds are excellent, they will be absolutely miles better than anything you'd pick up in Lidl. I had some Sennheiser buds prior to the pixel ones and the pixels are far more comfortable to wear, as well as sounding miles better and having noise cancellation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭TheRona

Yeah, I've never touched my Bose QC 45's since I got the buds. Love them.

Seems that way.

And like Henry Ford said, “Any color the customer wants, as long as it's black.”

• Advertisement

I'd be buying through the google store. Not sure I want the hassle of trying to see the watch privately and I imagine there may be a few at it. I'll think about it over the weekend.

@Royale with Cheese @TheRona Thanks for the feedback. I would hope the lidl ones were a low benchmark to be honest but I tried one or two others over the years and maybe my ears are weird but they just didn't seem to stay in. Been looking at a few reviews and these ones seem to fit well for people that struggled before.

Anyone see/read anything about battery life? All I can find is the link below saying its on par with the 7 series

https://www.gizmochina.com/2023/10/05/google-pixel-8-worse-battery-life-pixel-6/

Unbe-effin-lievable.....After going through AIB to unblock my card, I tried again just now and it failed. This is just not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Anyone with 3 network near or around Drogheda? Might consider switching from Vodafone if they don't offer the pre order

After retrying several times, I eventually got my order placed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ordered with Three. Hope signing up for a new "prepay" plan won't affect my current Three Hero plan! But didn't look for keeping my number so should be ok. Didn't get an invoice for the €1,039 - just a "customer agreement" with no amount on it - how does one proceed to make the claim through the rewards page?

Use this map to check coverage this is very reliable here in Dublin correlates exactly where my connection drops on my bus route. Your mileage may vary however: https://coveragemap.comreg.ie/map

Vodafone do offer the preorder if they release before the 16th

Usually have to wait until you get your phone as you need your IMEI to redeem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Edit: This was supposed to be a reply to 1jcdub but I hit the wrong button.

I'd say to pick up a prepay Three sim first and check the coverage. I travel around Clare for work and coverage here is gone to the dogs. In 2023 it's quite ridiculous to see the data signal bumped down to E and there's still plenty of complete dead zones where it's emergency calls only. Joke of a network.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭redmond08

Does Google take the money out of your account when it is shipped? Nothing has been taken from my account yet.

• Advertisement

For anyone on the fence thinking about upgrading from a Pixel 7, heres a good summary of the major differences based on the actual released version

Yes, usually a day or two before you receive it.

Although only minor changes, the upgrade used to be a no brainer. Sell the previous phone for around €500, sell the gift for around €300, upgrade only costs about €100. Even with the price increase, you can go from 7 Pro to 8 Pro for around €300, which isn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Thanks for the reply.

I did a SIM swap with a friend in work who's on 3. And we did a speed test. Both networks were showing 4g. But 3 only was getting 4mb download and 1 upload. Vodafone was 40 download and 2 upload. So I'll have to stick to Vodafone. Now if they would only get their finger out and allow customers to pre-order the pixel 8!

When will see the first proper reviews from users around the world? There are few online at the moment but they seem to be launch phone experiences rather than bought and given a proper test.

Perfect - thanks for that. Thats Wednesday so by next weekend we should have a good idea, warts and all of what they are like and I can buy before the bundle deals expire on Monday 16th.

Vodafone will have the Pixel 8/Pro available to order on October 12th

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Coming from a 4a, it'll be a good upgrade. I've never used 5g.

Advertisement