Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Robinson lambasts Fossil Fuel Industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I appreciate you're stance on carbon footprint, but are fully aware of the historical cultural impact Robinson has had in Ireland and her hand in the decriminalisation of homosexuality, the legalisation of contraception, the legalisation of divorce, enabling women to sit on juries, and her role of getting us in to the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

cop president and a fossil fuel ceo, yea theyre definitely compatible roles for the same person!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

A lot, and I mean a lot, of posters on here wouldn’t, necessarily, see those “things” as a good thing.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭donaghs

I dont recall “a lot men” hating Mary Robinson when she was elected. Where is this coming from? I do recall some elderly female relatives and similar types, being quite frosty about her and what she represented. But that was partly also to do with her defeating Brian Lenihan, their expected President.

In relation to Mr Al-Jabars comments , “I’m not in any way signing up to any discussion that is alarmist. There is no science out there, or no scenario out there, that says that the phase-out of fossil fuel is what’s going to achieve 1.5C.”

His comments were clear and to the point, but would appear to be to be out-of-step with the scientific consensus. So surely the best response would have been to provide some of “the science” which does show the connection between fossil fuels and temperature?

All the responses I’ve seen from different personalities appear over-emotional and sometimes alarmist, lacking in the kind of detailed measured response which would actually win that argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Oh I do. The FF supporter men in particular were extremely hateful.

I find it weird that people in Ireland will side with a billionaire oil sheikh over a lady who is honourable, truthful and always strives to do the right thing. His response was completely biased and he is deluded.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Reading some of the hate posts I think we're talking about people that haven't a clue about recent Irish history & spend most of their time gleaning their info from various unsubstantiated sources & are easily swayed by big marketing.

Or people that are old enough to have lived through it maybe 😉. I voted for Mary and I am glad I did but I vividly remember the anger at this upstart woman taking the presidency. She was the first to win the presidency without having the support of Fianna Fail. First woman too. A Fine Gael candidate has never won it as it happens. Haughey did stop her leaving the country in 1991, a little punishment and reminder.

As for your other waffle, Boards is the only social media I use so please don't lead me astray...

I'm not talking about you gleaning the info from unsubstantiated sources! I'm talking about the people that are won over by the fossil fuel marketing and are displaying hatred for Mary Robinson.

Apologies!!! I read it wrong. Yeah it is astounding people would automatically side with an oil sheikh over an elder stateswoman of her integrity. Definitely a level of sexism.

• Advertisement

Maybe sexism, but certainly more susceptible to the $4 billion yearly marketing spend the fossil fuel industry spends to recruit these people that will happily bang away on their keyboard in support of them against someone who's done so much for Ireland.

She's literally described on this thread as a "despicable turd", a "hypocrite" with a private jet (who told them she has a private jet), then she's chastised for not going to China and Brazil! (which she did)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Perhaps other people have first hand knowledge of the woman, through “working” with her?

but shure, throw the sexism labels and “easily manipulated” labels out there.

perhaps, people just don’t like a hypocrite, beit male or female?

It's clear that any of the keyboard warriors lambasting her never met her, let alone worked with her! Sure they haven't a clue about her and what she's done for them!

so you have never met her either are easily swayed by her PR?

I judge her by her actions NSAman.

I judge the fossil Fuel industry by their actions NSAman.

I've seen what she's done for Ireland with my own experiences. Plus.. she's right about the fossil fuel industry, any idiot can see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

This is the same Mary who was a personal friend of the Al Maktoum family, how any UN High Commissioner for Human Rights could be a personal friend of the ruler's of a country like the UAE is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

She's an idiot if she believes that countries whose primary export that underpins their entire economies, ought to rush to their reduction and eventual elimination. Is she stupid?

John no offence, but my own experience with Mary leaves me cold.

I also judge her by her actions, most of which have been self-serving and self-promotional.

we can all think that the fossil fuel industry has much to change, she herself has benefitted from it as we all have. I have no axe to grind with anyone about fossil fuel, but what did she actually do for Ireland? Seriously?

NSAman, I presume you're not Irish and while I don't have much time to further educate you on the later history of Ireland I'd advice you to do a little research on the county you live in and who, what and where impacted the state. I'll give you a starter on Mary Robinson. - She was involved in the decriminalisation of homosexuality, the legalisation of contraception, the legalisation of divorce, enabling women to sit on juries, and securing the right to legal aid in civil legal cases in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Well obviously we can’t just suddenly stop using all their products, but we need to use less of them and eventually not use them at all. It’s incredible the amount of people who can’t grasp the fact that fossil fuels are contributing to climate change and want to think it’s the New World Order or Bill Gates or George Soros out to screw us over.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, John, my education and experience, have me living through Mary’s brief reign in Ireland. Mary was only a “part” of many of the things you claim she did. Much of her persona is wrapped up in appearance. I can honestly say, appearance over substance.

not my type of person at all.

we all have opinions on people, mine differ from yours based on my own experience.

coming back to the main question though, she can lambast the oil industry all she wants. I’m sure her stay relevant comments will fall on some ears, but my main point that she is a hypocrite stands. Stop using oil, where will this planet be? All ideologues seem to have inflated sense of self. Unfortunately for Mary her time of influence is in severe decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Of course I grasp that fossil fuels contribute to climate change.

But it's a runaway train at this point, crashing through tipping points / targets / climate agreements / accords.

It's too late to stop it, that's my view.

She didn't "reign" in Ireland! And you're right she was part of many things that bought change to Ireland, at least you admit that although you may not like the changes she made.

If her influence has declined you'd wonder why she's hitting global headlines & why you're sitting here creating multiple posts about her as a fan boy for the fossil fuel marketing team.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Once she "rocked the system" to quote the vomit-inducing mugs and T shirts with her image being flogged at the EPIC museum, now she IS the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭Packrat

A ghoul who showed the highest form of disrespect to the nation and to the office she was elected to once she became bored with it.

People here crediting her for others work previously need to have a chat with themselves. Possibly some of the same who elected her in a fit of pique.

A jet hopping narcissist moralizing first to Ireland and then when it became obvious that she is an irrelevancy here - got herself on two bodies which basically are the rich finger wagging at everyone else.

A horrible stain on the record of Ireland internationally.

I'd categorize her along with Mick Wallace and Claire Daly.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

It’s called making a ‘exaggerated” statement and putting it out there PR 101. Global headlines? Please!

you can do better John than call me a “fan boy” that’s means you obviously have nothing else but personal attacks.

we can differ on our views of Mary without doubt, you can be her “fan boy” and I’ll still call her a hypocrite.

one question? Will she still be flying to her “very important” meetings world wide?

Well, stop exaggerating then. I've no problem being a fan of Mary Robinson, I don't embellish or exaggerate.

One Answer - Of course she'll be flying, how do you think she's going to get around the world? Critiques of flying by some environmentalists and people like yourself can be seen as sometimes misguided and even counter-productive. That's because not flying isn’t an effective way for experts to combat the causes of environmental degradation & climate change. Sometimes, flying can be necessary for environmentalists to attend international conferences, meetings, or events where critical decisions are made or activism efforts are coordinated. In these cases, the impact of the flight might be outweighed by the potential positive outcomes of their participation. Environmentalists might fly to witness and understand firsthand the impact of environmental issues in different parts of the world. This experiential learning can inform and strengthen their advocacy and educational efforts.

Talk about exaggerating view of self....

SO basically it is one law for "experts" what qualifies Mary as an expert? She can use oil to fly all around the world, while pontificating to the lower serfs that they have to cut back on flying and stay at home? Hypocrisy much?

"Not flying is'nt an effective way for experts to combat causes of environmental degradation and climate change" Ever heard of Skype? Many of these so called "experts" fly private. That really is hypocrisy at its worst. No co-ordination can happen unless these "experts" are in a room? Will the earth explode if all this intelligence is not in one place?

It's funny how many business can conduct business from a computer, thousands of people can communicate without ever meeting, yet climate people have to use the very mode of transport to visit places that they themselves (by their own admission) are helping to impact. Hypocrisy?

Why do they NEED to fly to check these things out? can they not rely on the impacts of evidence based scientists? Does Mary not believe the reports and is SO important that she HAS to fly there to see with her own eyes? Or is it a photo op?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Imagine them all sitting around a desk and saying right we will call ourselves ’

”The Elders”

its like a monty python sketch

• Advertisement

Skype is great, I use it all the time, but it's not the place for some meetings, exhibitions and conferences. I've explained a good few things to you at this stage, if you don't understand why face to face is important for some subjects and why politicians and business leaders travel to broker deals and accomplish purposes you're going to have to get back to the drawing board and work it out for yourself.

Advertisement