Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer recruitment 2023

Options
  • 06-09-2023 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭

I see they are once again recruiting prison officers

My question is if you where going for the job is it worth doing the Prison Officer online course in advance,

Has anyone done it was it helpful ?? or is it a waste of money ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pastey

Judging from the 2022 campaign chat, the 2 courses on offer were a bit of a let down and didn't reflect the questions in the assessment. I'll be throwing my hat in without a course anyway. My bigger concern will be the fitness test so 3 months to drop a few pounds and get cardio fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Stretch1432

Hi guys i did last years tests . I would say dont go near kilroys college but give career services a shot they have a good variety of sample tests and they go into detail via video tutorials of how to break the questioms down into steps.

The numerical test is very difficult. A lot of graphs and charts and written information in the questions and you have to slove the puzzle first before doing any steps.

Hope this helps !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How did you get on yourself did you make it through

How long after you applied where you called for interviews

I didnt pass the numerical . I just panicked and started guessing . I was completly cought of guard for the exam and it i wasnt expecting it. Iv done grinds online since and got career services package. I hope to do better this year.

How long after you applied did you get a call for the numerical

• Advertisement

2-4 months

• Registered Users Posts: 45 2023recruit

After applying for this year did anyone hear anything back

• Registered Users Posts: 20 recruit1994

I have a feeling it will be a couple of months at least before we were to hear anything back from reading previous posts and threads. Seems like there is a long process ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cmc35

Check your public jobs messages lads, Stage 1 is commencing within a month.

Would 3 or 4 weeks practice of the aptitude tests through career services be enough time to prep for Stage 1 do ye reckon? Gonna buy that now.

• Advertisement

Ye I saw that come through earlier. Was quicker turnaround than I expected. I’m gonna do the same and sign up to the career services coursework and get through it between now and then! Think that is our best bet.

Its not cheap is it 250 or something , id imagine you can find free similar aptitude tests online ,

190 quid it says on their website, not cheap at all.

I used for the Gardaí a few years back and would not have passed without it.

I suppose it is worth it if you pass

Are you currently a Garda., why you changing ?

I was a Garda, now working in the private sector.

Left for personal reasons but I'm considering applying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Riverstown1

I completed last years campaign. I'm due to go back to Portlaoise to try a second time for the fitness but due to personal reasons even if I do pass it I don't think I'll be able to start before the Summer. I was in Batch 4 of last years competition. I've applied for this years competition & was thinking of doing the Career Services Course to try to get to a higher Batch this year. Has anyone tried it & do you find it beneficial?

Does anyone know if you can the online assessment with an English IP address,

I'll be away the next week with work & will have to do it in while I'm in London,it'll be on a work network too

Anyone attempt the test yet ?

I'll give it a go the weekend , How about yourself ,

Il give it a go on the weekend also . Im flat out at the min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 smithymk11

Done the test this morning was straight forward expect the maths it's nearly all %s and graphs it was very difficult and I'd be usually OK with maths .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pastey

Yeesh. At least the math isn't timed.

Did ye do the practice tests linked in the info booklet? The pattern one was nuts (did it for the craic though we don't have a pattern recognition section).

Anyway, I plan to do mine tomorrow when everyone is out of the house. Best of luck to ye

Anyone who has experience of taking the tests last year know how long it usually takes to hear back/ get results and what batch you are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Riverstown1

Approx 4 weeks

Thanks!

What is the next stage if we pass the aptitude tests.

Got through it all yesterday,

Was fairly straight forward until of course you get to the numerical reasoning by the time it go t to the last two questions it was tough for myself ,

Havent done numerical yet . I am dreading it .

Its strange one isn't it m I understand it shows an intelligence but i wonder how practical is it in the every day work you'd be carrying out,

Take your time & don;t get stressed sometimes its a lot easier than it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 dublin 1

I thought it was much harder than last years

Advertisement