Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

29th is a holiday for quite a lot of folks, it won’t be happening till next week at the earliest if there’s nothin this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Read that back @scruff monkey . As predictions go this is unassailable. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Is anyone on 'ere bothered about this announcement, genuinely?

Snarky Snark Snark

ffs, yeah, it's pretty unimpeachable in terms of logic.

Am sick as a dog, covid test #3 since friday is blank and brain no worky too well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yes. I'd like to get stuck into listening to the bands that I know nothing about, to see if they're worth sticking on my list of 'bands to check out' at the festival.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Wooderson

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭glennponder

My WhatsApp group this morning rife with the possible cancellation rumour and possible alternatives to go to if it is, I told them to chillax as the boardsies know all.....yiz better be right 🫣😆

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

TOO BIG TO FAIL. /s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

Leftfield playing the big top in Galway mid July.

A possibility from strabally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I thought the same but tbh that's probably just because I don't think I'd heard anyone mention them since I was about 15. I vaguely remember that in my metal-loving group of friends in school that they had one or two people who liked them, but they were unfortunately also designated as "gay" which was a clear indication to steer clear at the time lest you also be thought of as "gay" by listening to them (I have to hope kids don't still think this way) so I don't think I ever actually listened to them.

Snarky Snark Snark

There a better chance of P.Diddy playing EP than it being cancelled.

Has any festival like EP ever cancelled previously after already selling tickets, with the exception of the big covid lockdowns that forced everything to cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 seamieom

I'd be working in and around Stradbally daily and haven't heard anything to suggest that EP is going to be cancelled. As Seathrun and Scruff have pointed out already, it's 99.9% come from far-right nutters on telegram trying to foment anti-refugee sentiments.

I'm loathe to bring up the festival size relative to population argument again, but it'd be akin to them cancelling Glastonbury because there was a 1000 people who've left their entire lives behind because a nationalist fuckhead has decided to blow their homes and families up.

Snarky Snark Snark

This is all very simple.

1. are there refugees currently being housed under a contract in Stradbally - Yes
    2. does that contract expire in advance of EP - Yes

fin.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dav09

It would be cheaper to let EP happen contractually than to facilitate an extra refugee contract (usually given on a monthly at most yearly basis). I wouldn't be surprised if some campsites changed but that's it. I can imagine the breech of contract payout (business interruption or whichever) would be colossal from the site, as I presume they could claim loss of revenue, and future years revenue from reputation damage should the site choose the latter contract option, also logically speaking from the government's point of view it would be a massive disaster, there are lots of refugee sites around the country, it's sad it's come down to renting tents and sites like it for the people living there. Plus, worst case scenario, also other sites for the festival which they would be able to plan well in advance.

Not that this should have to be explained. Again, this is spread by people with motives likely against refugees and causing panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Maximo Park announced a tour with an Irish date for the autumn. Hopefully a festival run too 🤞 started listening to them again after years of not. Quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It's all thinly-veiled MAGA loons: "Dey're comin' to take ur jurbs... I mean Festivals"

(We know they don't have jurbs... 😀)

Just to be clear, I was aware that it's not being cancelled. I was just asking if there's any precedent for a festival to be cancelled at this stage in the process. My assumption was that there isn't, because the idea of the organisers of a festival that have done this many previous events suddenly bollocksing the whole thing up so badly and leaving everything so last minute that they have to announce a cancellation by April (for any reason, I've also heard "rumours" that they failed to get planning permission or that the local farmers have been blocking it) after everyone has already paid their installments (and therefore would have to process 70k refunds in addition to everything else) just sounds like a ludicrous proposition, and outside of covid or some similar level of extenuating circumstances it would be very hard to even imagine it happening.

I'm aware some other festivals like Body and Soul were "cancelled" but afaik, they just decided to take a year off. They didn't sell out all of their tickets and then say "oops, actually we're not doing this after all" just a few months before it was scheduled to go ahead.

At this point I just want to see some names I can digest and investigate or maybe I should just go to Green Man.

• Advertisement

Some additional names added to Rock En Seine the week after EP.

Body and Soul + Life festival are two examples this year but not exactly huge and never seemed to really be going ahead in the first place. Pretty sure it's happened at a few smaller ones, Bare in the Woods again not huge but 10k capacity it happened, seems like they were refused license in 2017. One happened in 2018 but it seems like they never recovered from it and it finished then.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

Absolutely. It's my way to discover new music and I get a lot of months out of listening on Spotify to see who I like or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

I heard that they moved to August knowing full well they'd piss off the farmers, get it cancelled for a year and therefore be able to fill the place with refugees. And the Interest from the sold out tickets will pay for refund costs!

Just kidding. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah. that's always a good plan for festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

You definitely know you should just go to Green Man.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Yeah but I'm in with the Picnic really as I know the volunteer admin and love the build up, for me anyways its like a week event with all the concerts and raves in the weekend. Some of the separate areas of the festival have wee raves on the build up some of which the early campers on Thursday get to witness a bit. If I was doing Green Man would prefer to do the volunteering route if it came together. I've four festivals marked for working in Ireland this year, I just hoping Wild Roots announce a few crackers otherwise the current line up as it is, is not inspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

That wild roots line up is grim. Summed up by a Gerry cinnemon support act being so high on the the list

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭TenPicnics

It's a real shame, the location is outstandingly beautiful, and the people working at it and attending seemed very sound when I was there the first year, 2022. Was definitely keen to go again but the offerings as regards line-ups have remained very poor since so decided not to go last year or this year. Maybe one or two proper mid-range acts could make all the difference to it. Also the festival should include more covered areas/big tents to cater for normal Irish weather when it occurs - they've been the luckiest weekend festival in Ireland for 2 years running now with fantastic sunshine.

• Advertisement

Lads how in the world is there a Gerry Cinnamon tribute act and how is he getting festival bookings FFS. I was hoping they booked the real thing to be honest, and while they were at it if they could also book Nathan Carter, The Script, The Coronas, Catfish and the Bottleman, Noah Kahn (mostly very wishful thinking for a festival it's size) and likewise as exclusives to festivals like that so that they don't show up at Stradbally this year.

Advertisement