Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Autumn/ Winter 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

No rain nevermind sparks in Bray. That big blob of precipitation traveling up the East coast for the last few hours just Peters out as it hits the Bray rain shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

A few miles west of Nenagh, we've had distant rumbles for the last few hours, and now its quite dark and raining hard. No lightning yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I was expecting the end of the day for any real action in Dublin as the storms make their Easterly exit but not much going on to suggest this will happen unless storms are expected to pep up a bit as the easterly drift begins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Flash flooding in the centre of Kanturk town after the torrential rain!! Good few businesses got flooded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I think the cell around Limerick is expanding but easing. The thunder in this cell has died out. But it is still very dull with moderate rain. At least the satellite signal to my Sky box is no longer blocked and functioning normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

NE England under a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Some amazing photos around the UK today ,clouds are unreal 😍

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The Cold front looks a bit active during it's passage tomorrow night, might get a few storms, highlighted on weather forecast after the 21.00 news too.

Munster might have the best chance but could get some around the coasts also.

Weds has the upper Low and associated cold pool in over Ireland aiding instability which could see thunderstorms during the day with some big heavy convective showers, perhaps could see hail also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Torro report

Convective Discussion–22:00 BST Tue 19 Sep 2023 – 02:00 BST Thu 21 Sep 2023

Areas affected

• RoI
    • N Ireland
    • S Scotland
    • Parts of cent Scotland
    • England
    • Wales
    • IoM
    • Channel Is

Hazards

• Isolated brief tornadoes
    • Gusts winds 50-60mph
    • Occasional CG lightning

Discussion

A fairly intense Atlantic cyclone will approach and then cross Scotland on Wednesday. Ahead of this, a warm sector will be in place across most areas. A cold front (perhaps a double cold-front structure) will move into the west of the RoI and N Ireland later this evening, and then cross the rest of the Discussion area through the remainder of the night, Wednesday, and Wednesday evening. Strong shear will be present in the vicinity of the front, including fairly intense low-level shear. Instability will be fairly meagre, but some low-level CAPE is indicated, and there is also the chance of a forced line of convection along the cold surge of air.

A pronounced mid-level shortwave trough will cross the RoI, N Ireland and into parts of S Scotland/N England overnight, as the front moves through. This may enhance the frontal activity here, including the risk for one or two brief tornadoes. Another trough will overrun the front across parts of S England, the Midlands, E Anglia, and SE England on Wednesday afternoon - in this latter area, there are some suggestions of a mesoscale wave developing along the front, which could enhance wind gusts, and the tornado threat.

Elsewhere across the Discussion area, the front will likely exhibit some line convection in places, but not everywhere - however, it's not easy to pin down these areas, and the overall risk is fairly low, hence why a broad and long-lasting Discussion has been issued.

Occasional CG lightning appears most likely across the RoI and N Ireland with the shortwave trough overnight, perhaps into parts of Scotland/N England and NW Wales. Elsewhere, it cannot be ruled out, but the chances seem lower.

• Advertisement

Lightning strike registered near Cloonaglin, Kerry NEE of Waterville and NW of Sneem

more now south of Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Nice rumble here in Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Any lightning reported around Galway this morning? Just spotted something large burning and falling from the sky in multiple pieces near Carnmore. Thought first it might be a pylon as there are some around there. I have some dashcam footage, not great but you can clearly see the bright orange glow from 2 objects. In person I could see a smoke trail behind them, they were falling/floating down slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

You may just have seen some elusive ball lightning. If you have them jealous is the word of the day!

I'm not so sure, I was thinking it had hit something as this was burning and floating through the air. I thought I heard a rumble before I left the house, that's why I thought it might be lightning related. Nothing showed up on any lightning detector sites.

I'm told the army could be doing exercises this week so I guess its possible flares were carried in the wind, somewhat irresponsible if that's the case with the high winds they could set anything on fire...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Doubt they would use flares in high winds seems strange to point the finger at them without evidence

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

They look like flares and the description of smoke trail behind them and falling/floating down slowly would tally.

Not pointing the finger, just saying if it was an army exercise it seems strange to do it in that wind. That's why I said "if"

• Advertisement

Found this from May 2022, same area, same experience so I think we can rule out lightning now 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Thinking of it! If the weather was bad might it have been flares from a vessel in distress? We’re you near the coast?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of strikes showing up now near Gorey, Co. Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭pureza

5 long loud rumbles here just before 6pm in Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭highdef

Possible squall line moving from Galway, into Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Quite the squall gone through Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

Spectacular Earth on Rte2 now. This evening's episode is all about lightning, looks a decent watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Squall hit Meath about 20 mins ago. Wow. The colour of the sky too.

Awful afternoon. Hopefully easing up now.

16⁰ Meath

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Maybe a few thunderstorms embedded in the frontal passage overnight and in the unstable post frontal airmass. Blustery during the passage and possibly squally waking up a few people overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Below is just a copy and paste from netweather. Sounds interning

Longwave upper trough extends south over the N Atlantic from Greenland and Iceland to the west of UK and Ireland on Tuesday. A surface low will be slow-moving to the south of Iceland, a cold front will move eastward across Ireland and UK through the day, lying across W Scotland, Wales and SW England at noon then N Sea and Low Countries at midnight.

Ahead of the cold front, the nose of 14-16C theta-w plume will push in across SE England / E Anglia through the morning. An area of elevatedinstability looks to develop on the northern extent of the plume across S England and E Anglia during the morning, as a shortwave trough moving infrom the Atlantic moves NE creating lift of the northern edge of the plume and steepening lapse rates. This will support the development of heavy showers and perhaps some elevatedthunderstorms moving NE over these areas through the morning and into the early afternoon.

Cold front across the west of mainland Britain at noon before moving east across the UK through the afternoon will also produce some convection, thanks to forced ascent of warm moist conveyor ahead of front, with a risk of isolated thunderstorms embedded in band of showery rain along front. Heavy showers and a few thunderstorms may also develop across Ireland, Irish Sea coastal areas and SW Scotland in post-frontal airmass characterised by colder upper air / steep lapse rates.

Convective Outlook ⚡ (meant to say brief, isolated tornadoes on map)

Along a cold front, a squall line looks fairly likely to set up Approaching Ireland and Scotland by around mid morning with widespread 90 KM/H+ winds along the cold front bringing squally winds and rain. Strong winds and heavy rainfall look to be the main severe threats.

As the morning gets on, the lift will increase along the south of England and along the squall line. So showers form and move through the central south and southeast of England in areas with 75+ J/KG of 3CAPE for some sunrise showers to form and move north east into the early afternoon potentially. This occurring along a shortwave trough, may bring the risk of some weak flooding with it.

The Irish risk continues on into S/SW Scotland with 150+ J/KG of 3CAPE along the squall line and 35+ knots of LLS. Large amounts of that momentum is shifted downwards and that may transfer into stretching the surface streeamwise vorticity. This may transfer into a local increase of the LLJ in certain areas, for some rotation along spots of increased vorticity. So some brief spin up tornadoes are possible.

Most energy looks to be transferred downward so the spin up tornadoes and strong wind gusts are fairly potential risks along the squall line. Mainly in the slight risk areas where squall line intensity and potentially lightning frequency looks to be increased. Eventually, the cold front weakens as it moves through Northern England and Scotland mid afternoon and lifts north, significantly weakening to essentially nothing by the evening.

Advertisement