Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No New Contract For Vera Pauw

Options
  • 30-08-2023 4:27am

In a brief statement issued by Irish football's governing body, chief executive Jonathan Hill said: "On behalf of the Football Association of Ireland, we would like to thank Vera for her hard work and commitment over the past four years and wish her well for the future.

"In particular, I wish to acknowledge the role she played in leading Ireland to the FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 where our women’s team made history and inspired a nation.

"The future is bright for women and girls’ football and our focus now is building upon the work done by Vera and the historic achievements of our women’s team, which we see as a platform to support the next phase of the journey for the team, and more broadly the development of women and girls’ football in this country."

An extremely successful manager...

In a time when Irish sport is flourishing, what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Is it a case of no smoke without fire in the alleged 'weight shaming' mentioned in times past or the seemingly unhappy relationship between her and the team captain?

Or maybe it's just time for new blood.

• Irish soccer is an outlier;

Best rugby union team in the world

Brilliant results in athletics

What's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Xander10

Current affairs?

I think we are losing the plot here......

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

I don't rate the ladies soccer but I was shouting for them all the same!

Too much hype surrounding it, a little like the GAA!

Glad though to see the end of this lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Madness.. Player power wins again. This Irish team is way over hyped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 seamieyaboya

Who remembers Saipan 2006?

Roy Keane thought he was more a manager than Mick McCarthy.

Has the Irish team ever recovered since then?

May the same happen to this gang!

Time for a root-to-branch cleanout of the F.A.I.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Imagine the hype had the men's team gotten to the World Cup finals! The women's team did well and while they didn't get out of their group, they still made it to the finals!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Ignoring the controversy, which in pro sport is hardly a surprising thing and barely a controversy imo, ignoring her great achievement in getting to the World Cup, and ignoring a clear rift with players, she made some bizarre and, in hindsight, awful calls in squad and team selection for the World Cup. Tactically she also got it wrong and in-game management was very very poor.

Post edited by Pablo Escobar on

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TruthEnforcer

The so called "Controversy" was was years ago ...and addressed by Vera which was accepted by the FAI before going to the WC.

As soon as Katie McCabe does her Roy Keane moment, the FAI start getting nervous.

Who's the Manager ? Vera Or Katie..

Well, they've made the decision ..let's see where it takes them

This Team did well at the WC, where they were well out of their league ...they were seeded too high in the competition..and it showed.

I suspect they'll struggle to qualify again anytime soon !

I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I’ve seen a few comments by male footballers who outlined their clubs unhappiness with their weight particularly when they return for pre season. Real Madrid apparently were very unhappy with Eden Hazard, MU with Romulu Lukaku. It seems strange to me that there would be an issue with a coach having a problem with over weight football players, but it does not surprise me that American players would have a problem being told that they had to run their fat assess around the pitch and eat less burgers. I couldn’t imagine the Dublin ladies team having an issue with being told they needed to improve their fitness if they wanted to perform at an elite level.

So I would say that “smoke” relating to fitness, is about as thick as a vape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No one remembers Saipan 2006.

But everyone remembers Saipan 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

So much drama with womens football that is nothing to do with the actual sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Not sure this will work out well for us, it all depends on who is selected to replace her.

I don't think the reason for not renewing can be anything related to the allegations from last Dec - once she was kept on after that, the FAI effectively accepted her version of events.

IMO, she was 100% right in the McCabe incident but maybe the poor communication between the two was sympomatic of their relationship and Pauw as manager has to take most of the responsibility for that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you please provide some examples of this drama you are referring to or is this just some sexist crap?

You haven’t seen a news item about ladies football since the WC final, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭TokTik

Excellent news to wake up to. Ireland will be Pauws last ever job. Very toxic woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

I couldn't care about the men's team. I'm just saying this team was over hype. Vera did an amazing job. Let's see how this team will get on now.

Except for the fact that the girl that Pauw called overweight, and encouraged to keep losing weight even when gaunt, ended up so thin and ill that she had to quit the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

i think Rugby is the outlier there bud

Its a sport with a tiny footprint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ha not like the men. The Premiership is a bloody soap opera, that's why I love it.

Encouraged the girl in US to get so gaunt she had to quit football.

Bullied Tyler Toland out of the Ireland setup. Publicly tried to shame her when her father phoned to find out what was going on (She was 16 and a minor so her father had every right to ask).

Deeply unlikeable person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Strange ow they get rid of a successful manager while holding onto a guy that is totally out of his depth.....

If she was overweight to start with, you think a professional coach should say to a professional player that it is fine to be overweight and underperforming?

Get a grip, this is professional sport, not the local pub league, players are expected to be in peak athletic condition, not over weight. If that is your idea of toxic, then every professional club that doesn’t allow over weight players to be picked is toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

She told certain players that they needed to be fitter so that the team would do better, and she didn't make the exact substitution in a game that Katie "Roy Keane" McCabe wanted, at the exact moment that Katie wanted it. She also tried to bring better players into the squad, so that the team would do better. You know, awful stuff like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

He'll be gone by Christmas as well thankfully.

I have no idea what that is about, but this is the senior ladies international team, not a cresh.

Pep Guadiola is widely recognised as the best coach in world football, possibly one of the best ever, try Googling articles about what it is like to play for him, the intensity, the criticism that happens if he thinks your standards have fallen, how he discards players who don’t perform. And on topic, his treatment of current player Kalvin Phillips who the club believe did not manage his weight last season.

So again, if your career is as an elite sportsperson, the basic requirement should be that you present in the required physical condition when attending work and collecting a wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭micks_address

i guess its not a surprise the contract wasn't renewed - it would be worse for the FAI if they renewed and more allegations or whatever turned up in the comings months/years.. it does seem like she has a very direct approach.. commentators attribute it to the 'dutch' way of being very direct... from a play perspective it did seem to look like what jack did with the lads back in the day, play to your strengths etc when the team maybe feel like they can do better than a defensive mind set.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023/0829/1402281-pauw-strengths-and-weaknesses-tapped-from-the-same-well/

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shelfie

I think Vera will be snapped up elsewhere very quickly. We will struggle to get a replacement as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

She demanded the best and a level of elite professional.

She had to go, absolutely no room for that craic in Irish football.

Hopefully the next manager allows the players to pick the team.

Advertisement