If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

FCA1 Ambiguity

  • 29-08-2023 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

    Attempting to fill in FCA1 here, for a 243 for deer hunting. Do i fill in section 5.2 with land permission (1 landowner, 140 acres) despite not applying for a limited certificate? Where do they want land details submitted for a standard firearm cert, not a limited cert. The amount of contradiction in the form is very confusing.

    I'm also a member of a gun club with a bird-only lease on Coillte land, can I use this as permission for fox control with the same rifle? I don't want to be limited to just hunting on the land I have written permission for.

    Thanks folks.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

    Section 5.2 only applies to limited certificates which only applies to shotguns, so skip that.

    In section 4.2, why this type of firearm is needed, you tick hunting. You'll see it says under the options to include details as to why it's required.

    I use this to explain why I need the firearm and then include any permissions I have also. So for example:

    "I am applying for a 243 for the dual purpose of hunting Deer during the seasons (copy of Deer license attached), as well as vermin control during the off season. I will be stalking/hunting Deer and doing vermin control on the lands covered in my attached permissions. "

    Then attach a copy of your Deer license, and any/all land permissions.

    As for the Coilte/gun club lands. I don't know enough to give an opinion. If it's bird only lease (assuming that is what it sounds like) then I assume any vermin control would need to be okayed by both Coilte and the gun club.

    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

    If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

    Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭alex90

    Cheers cass I'll leave off the gun club and just use my land permissions. Thanks for the advice.

  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭john_aero

    I would fill in the Gun club details, it is how I fill in my forms. I have Land Permissions, Gun Club and Shooting Range Membership all entered onto my forms.

    Been a member of a local Gun club I think is a good idea and will be good on your application.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

    I would give them as little information as possible

  • Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

    Not listing something you intend to use the rifle for could be a mistake. Depends on the context of course.

    If the lease is “bird-only” then I don’t see how that lease could support the rifle application. However, the gun-club in itself could though on-going management of permissions.

    I don't want to be limited to just hunting on the land I have written permission for.

    I think you may have phrased that badly. You can only hunt on land you have permission for.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭alex90

    I can hunt on land a farmer has given me verbal permission to hunt. I meant I'm not restricted to the written permission submitted with the licence application.

  • Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

    You are not (at this stage) restricted by the functions and permissions you put on the application. They are simple evidence to support your application.

    A bird only permission would not (in my view) add much support a .243 application. But gunclub membership and a permission for vermin control on local farmland would. I'd include both of those personally.