Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2023

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,663 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hate that guy, he's like an annoyance to play against, if you let him win the mind battle he'll beat you, Novak far too experienced to fall for it though, unlike Alcaraz .

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭tiegan

Not my ideal candidates for the final so lets just hope they give us some good tennis. I don't even care who wins!!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Prediction is Djoko in four sets. Djoko not playing with the kind of pressure he was in 2021, plus he'll be extra motivated after the events of 2020 and 2022, even if it was all self inflicted.

Medvedev will obviously need to play a brilliant match, but as I've mentioned previously he doesn't look quite the same mentally since Melbourne last year. Hope I'm wrong, but I can't see past Djoko.

None of the commentators are making any remark about the fact Novak is out on his feet, and clearly aching if not injured. The man is hurting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

He is playing possum again, we have seen it too many times in the past to not recognise it.

• Advertisement

UNREAL

The Goat wins the second set while looking 75% at best

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

And that is that

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yet another remarkable recovery from Djokovic 😌

You'd imagine that should be that for this match. I'm actually kinda glad tbh, don't want to be up all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Well that was enjoyable, some great rallies.

Meant to be, the greats always find a way through those moments that decide a point, a game, a set, a match

• Advertisement

Mad that for all the talk of the supposed changing of the guard this year, it's Djoko who ends the year with three of the four grand slams won.

So glad that Medvedev got his slam when he did, so unfortunate that he keeps bumping into two of the best to ever play the game in finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I know it was straights sets but Medvedev pushed Djokovic hard tonight, he wins the 2nd set and he probably wins the match.

Sometimes you watch Djokovic in his normal matches and he's not great to watch as he just grinds his opponents down with little flair involved but you truly see his greatness when he's pushed hard like he was tonight and you realize what an incredible player he is, second set was incredible from both players and Djokovic just edged it. Djokovic net play was incredible tonight which is something not traditionally associated with him and yet he was almost perfect in that area tonight shows the complete player he is.

I think it's beyond doubt now that he's the GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It wasn't self-inflicted - it was literally inflicted by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Honourable mention for Laslo Djere. The only player to take sets off Djokovic in the whole tournament.

Advertisement