Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2023

Options
  • 28-08-2023 1:54am
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Final grand slam of the year is upon us.

Most are already locking in an Alcaraz vs Djokovic final, but let's see what happens.

WTA side should be intriguing, Swiatek is still world #1 but looking more beatable this year. Gauff took a huge step forward by winning Cincinnati, including beating Swiatek along the way, so many fancy her to go all the way.

My own prediction is Alcaraz and Sabalenka to win, which will surely be the kiss of death.

Hope it's a good fortnight!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Is the US Open only on Sky Sports or is Amazon showing it as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

No not on Prime - gutted !!! Sky & Now as far as I know is where you need to go to view The US Open on Sky Sports: How and where to watch the final Grand Slam of the year at Flushing Meadows | Tennis News | Sky Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Augme

A number of surprises already on the first day. Sakkari knocked and and 4th seed Holger Rune.

Best story has to go to Thiem for beating Bublik in the first round. A brilliant result for him given such a tough opponent and it's his first win in a slam since 2021.

Some start to the US Open, Musetti and Auger-Alliassime gone as well. Ruud had a bit of a battle as well. On the coverage, I was watching yesterday afternoon but they weren't showing any matches from Ashe. Tiafoe was on at the same time on Ashe but they showed Ruud had to switch off for some reason I can't watch Ruud, I just find him a tough watch. Also Taylor Fritz was on as well on Armstrong and they had on a women's match for some low ranking ex-japanese player but not playing for Great Britain on. Hopefully it gets better. Might see if the coverage is better on the US Channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Djokovic back to number one after US Open regardless of what happens next. He just needed to win one match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Shame it's not on prime.

Sky showcase are showing it (I am guessing that might be a taster for today only). Decent battle between Alexandrova and Fernandez on before the Murray match (I am guessing).

Reading the story around Bublik...made a plonker of himself, Thiem hammered him.

Rune (flopped again) not happy with organisers.

Very solid first set for Murray against Moutet takes it 6-2

Garcia seventh seed gone 6-4, 6-1

Murray had to save set points in that second set but managed to come through! Never easy with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Pretty funny seeing Rune moaning about being on court 5 and then being unceremoniously dumped out of the tournament on it.

Taylor Fritz now the only other top 10 player left in Djokovic's side of the draw 😒

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Ruud gone as well. Going to be one of those slams......

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wozniacki into the 3rd round, taking out Kvitova along the way. Impressive comeback so far.

Very decent win for Draper against Hurkacz, wasn't sure he would have the fitness levels after having to retire at the Winston-Salem open.

Murray looking in trouble down a set and a break to Dimitrov

Five years Andy Murray has been trying to make a comeback now and a handful of grand slam third round appearances is all he has to show for it. Surely he's going to call it a day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I never understood why he didn't go and play doubles with his brother. They'd have a real chance of winning grand slams as a pair and seeing as he's proven himself as a singles player, you'd think coming back and being properly competitive in doubles would be more enjoyable way to play out your career than slogging away in singles with no real hope of winning anything significant.

The highest seed playing today in the Day session is Tiafoe at 10. This side of the draw the seeds have been decimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Augme

Given what he said following his defeat at the US open he seems to be more content with probably never competing to win a grand slam again. He said himself that he still enjoys the training and playing and until that stops why would he stop playing. I never understood why he put so much stock in having to compete. He's got a few years max being able to play as a professional tennis player, he should make the most of it and enjoy it.

Also, I'd say the reason he hasn't shifted to doubles is the money. He made $123k making the second round at US. You need to make the final in doubles to better that.

Good to see Djokovic getting a decent match, was two sets down but came through in 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Agree. And for all the adulation heaped on him for coming through, he won't be winning the open playing like that

Jack draper through in 4 sets and in to 4th round very solid.

Evans getting tonked by Alcaraz (two sets down) but has broken in third set, Norrie two sets down.

Post edited by gmisk on

• Advertisement

Evans did take that third set against Alcaraz...looks to have had a grand total of one unforced error!

Norrie out...second best.

Alcaraz through in 4 really kicked things up in that 4th set again.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Jabeur was atrocious last night.All she needed to do was just keep putting the ball back into play and let Bouzkova beat herself as she wasn't able to run around much after her injury. Jabeur really needs to improve her attitude on court it's horrific, far too negative getting down on herself all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭moby2101

C’mon Caroline !!

Just won the second set

Really low quality match this between Wozniaki and Gauff.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Hmm, I thought it was decent enough.

Quite the turnaround in that match. When Wozniacki broke early in the third it looked like she had the momentum - and then she didn't win another game.

Swiatek-Ostapenko should be an interesting one later, Swiatek has lost all three matches they've played. Got to think that Swiatek will right the ship this time, but if Ostapenko's hammer blows are finding the lines..

Ostapenko takes out Swiatek to make their h2h 4-0, Sabalenka is the new World #1!

Decent tournament for Draper but looked a bit wrecked by the end against Rublev, battled but out in 4 sets.

• Advertisement

He was just coming back from injury and hasn't played much. For this younger guys coming on the tour and new to the 5 set matches, it takes a while to get the stamina and knowledge to compete and win in them. As they said on commentary Draper would need to play a 5 setter when fully fit to get the benefits on it. This is always the advantage the more seasoned players have over the younger ones when it comes to the 5 format unless they are an Alcaraz.

Advertisement