Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Open 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,848 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I read there was only a 70/30 chance he would actually play the US open so yeah he did very well, I just hope his body can hold up long term, don't want to see him going the way of some other young players.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

A nice vintage GAA jersey on the guy who caught one of the balls Djokovic hit into the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

Michael O’Leary from Abbeydorney, former Kerry hurler.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really hoping at this stage we get a Gauff-Sabalenka final. Would be an incredible atmosphere with an American in the final plus both players having so much on the line. Gauff would obviously be desperate to win her first, whilst Sabalenka would be vying to win her second and back up her new #1 status.

However, I think there's actually a decent chance we could get an all-Czech final.

Surprised Tiafoe lost to Shelton, makes Djoko reaching the final even more inevitable. Men's half hasn't had a lot of tension really, feels like we're just going through the motions until the inevitable Alcaraz-Djoko final. Of course either one could lose before they get there, but not very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Think Zverev might give Alcaraz a scare. He's playing well from the bits I've seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

A scare is grand with me, as long as he doesn't win! It's been a poor enough tournament anyway, last thing we need is the champion being decided in the QF's.

Sabalenka into the SF's first woman since Serena in 2016 to make all four SF's in the same year. Will be interested to see how she gets on against (presumably?) another tricky Czech tomorrow. The SF's have been something of a stumbling block for her this year, any more losses and it might become a 'thing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Fairly poor stuff from Medvedev and Rublev thus far. Can't see either of these troubling Alcaraz playing like this, not sure they'd even beat Zverev.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

In fairness the heat was a killer, you could see Rublev visibly wilting in the 2nd set. Medvedev said he was struggling after the first set.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Sky’s commentators are awful. Who told them Konta could commentate? Lopez is knowlegeable, but hard to understand.

I like Bertoli, but man, after 10 minutes you expect her to break into full “I shall say zis only wernce”‘Allo, ‘Allo ,mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭al87987

Yeah not great, a stat came up about unreturned 1st serves in the 1st set and Konta couldn't wrap her head around it "Who served what? I'm not a stats woman". It's one of the most basic stats out there and is shown very regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I was going to post to say how much I like Bertoli commentating. She is great and picking up on the little things as well. Gives great insight, I heard her talking about Gauffs forehand and says that she has made some small changes to how she is hitting it that is making the difference. Pity they didn't have the time to go into what those changes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

done Gauff @10/11 to break serve first, win 1st set and win match

short odds tho - better than taking 1/2 for win only methinkes 😂

GWAN Coko !!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Djokovic through to the final with one of the easiest draws you are likely to see in years.

Alcaraz-Medvedev not exactly going to plan 😐

I had a feeling Medvedev would turn Alcaraz over. Wouldn’t surprise me if he wins it now.

Disappointed with last night's result, not just because I like Alcaraz but I felt he had the best chance of making a match of the final, complimented by a more visually appealing game.

Obviously we know Medvedev can beat Djoko in the final, but I don't see it happening tomorrow night. He's never been quite the same mentally since losing to Nadal in Melbourne last year. Obviously though, I hope he wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Really enjoyable match between Alcaraz and Medvedev , some great tennis played by both players at times.Thought Medvedev was going to choke in that final game , he struggled big time closing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,651 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Novak needs to beat this Russian on US soil . Medvedev simply can't be allowed to win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Medvedev beat Djokovic in the 2021 final when Djokovic was going for the calendar GS. But I think that had more to do with the pressure on Djokovic than anything Medvedev did. Without that level of pressure, I expect Djokovic to avenge that defeat tomorrow night.

Also agree that Medvedev has regressed since that Nadal match. Hopefully he can turn the corner tomorrow though.

Gauff playing with a chip on her shoulder, a '' poor me'' look in her eyes, this is not the stuff of champions

• Advertisement

Finally I see a fire in her eyes, a belief she can win

Momentum with Gauff now. Hope Sabalenka can get it together in the final set 😐

Coco pops the ball back every time, waiting for the mistake, this tactic is paying off really well. She was trying to win too many points in first set, now she is keeping ball alive, so many unforced errors from Sabalenka in set 2, and again here in set 3

0-30 Gauff down on serve, while leading 3-0 in final set, pressure on, wins next 4 points well to win game. HUGE

Gauff deserved it, got the tactics right to win after an awful first set .

Pretty gutted with that result tbh. Don't think Sabalenka cares too much about getting the #1 ranking on Monday.

Gauff has a great personality, spoke very well, on the court she's all business, refreshing to see how joyous and smiley she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

She’s a star. Well she kind of already was but the post match speech would make it hard to dislike her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

When you think these youngsters can't get worse, they just hit new lows. Surely this is without question the worst generation of up and coming talent ever? They aren't even close to a great player years past his prime, imagine how far they are from the big 3 in their prime?

Alcaraz could be an all time great, or is he made look better as he's the only one able to beat Djokovic? Surely that should be par for the course for most of these youngsters?

You look at a guy like Roddick who has only one slam, unlucky when he arrived, yet imagine he was coming through now? Would have won several slams already, blown the lot of these off court, aswell as an old Djokovic.

Not one of them even looks like they have confidence, let alone fight. It's genuinely becoming farcical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Advertisement