Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Still Ill

What happened with The National at Oxegen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭Fanirish

They were scheduled against beyonce and literally no one showed, they had done a 3 night sold out olympia run the previous December so then playing to a hundred or so people at oxegen was a noticeable downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jemmy Button

The National are a truly turgid affair. About as bland as a manual handling course at work; about as dour as Pat Kenny talking about the budget. To put them in the same bracket as Nick Cave is an insult to middle aged men everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,857 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fecking hell.. this thread stinks of music snobbery.

It's a music festival.. there'll be plenty of acts you don't like or don't think belong on the lineup.

Quick tip - find another stage or if all else fails, sell a ticket and let the rest of us enjoy.

And the you're the person who gives manual handling courses judging by the dreariness of that response

• Advertisement

"Manual handling courses"? What are you babbling about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Still Ill

I'd never seen The National live until their gig in The Point this year and I wasn't particularly looking forward to it, but they absolutely blew me away. One of the best gigs I've ever seen.

I can feel the miasma of officialdom radiating off you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,411 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

My wife is a huge national fan. Me not so much, I find their records a bit samey and they rely on the same drum riff for a lot of their songs....

But I've seen them twice live, this year in the point and a few years back in iveagh gardens (2014) and both times they were superb. This year especially where they played a set list of 28 songs!!! Matt was in form and sounding great.

I can still recall the gig from 2014 in the warm sunshine. Yes it is music that is lyric heavy and meandering, and if that makes it "middle aged music" so be it.

As head line names go they are certainly popular enough to be a big draw for ticket sales

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Don't post in here for a few days. Not even to respond to this. - Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Been a long time since I seen the LG in action. Was curious to see who's mods here these days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Still here but not much happening in general these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

You're the only music fan in history to never opine a musical act as 'shite' yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Oof. And that's the first 5 acts! Wait till they announce some ACTUAL shite!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Coz

Don't forget BTP is effectively a 2 and a half day festival. Finishes at 10:30pm on the Sunday (not that it was widely announced)

From what I heard any chip van playing dance music after that point did a roaring trade............

And finished up at 1am on majority of stages on the Friday and Saturday due to licensing conditions imposed due to complaints by neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Rfrip

god really…that puts a very different spin on things

One or two of the smaller dance went later but no loud noise after main stage closings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I've no memory of it closing a bit earlier on the Friday and Saturday. It definitely went on until around 2.30 or 3am both those nights I'm fairly sure? Although not the main stages. But the large tent and woods area went on late enough no?

It was a very abrupt end on the Sunday though. Way too early of a finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

If it came to choosing between the two id go for ATN a million times over. BTP needs another few years to get itself up to the standard of ATN, it felt soulless. Stages stuck beside eachother, nothing happening in the main arena, no great choice for food and alcohol, the non existent phone coverage which made it impossible meet up with people. They wrapped up after Grace Jones this year which resulted in thousands converging on the camp site entrance playing their own music. ATN had its own problem this year with the mud but outside of that there is no comparing the two.

Post edited by Murdoc90 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jellybeano

Different strokes eh? I’d choose the other way round 😂

I always think the first few years of any festival is special. BTP doesn’t need to get up to the standard of ATN. Very different animals. Yes it’s all in one field and a no frills kinda festival, but I gotta say I found that really refreshing. Headed home on Sunday night after DJ Seinfeld / Grace. The lure of waking up in my own bed Monday morning was too strong 😂

For me ATN peaked in 2022. Thinking of giving the Otherside Festival (if it’s on) a go this year too. Have a feeling it undersold by a good bit last year. But nice little lineup from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭TenPicnics

Agree 100%, BTP didn't feel for me like a proper festival at all last year, and that had nothing to do with bad rain for some of it (although a few covered areas might have improved things a bit). I camped for the weekend but at times it felt like it was designed for 3 days of people making day trips and heading home each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Ive no problem with no frills if reflected in the price, but to charge the same as ATN and deliver a much poorer overall festival experience leaves a sour taste. Im sure it will improve next year, just for anyone considering going to one over the other, ATN should be no contest. But to each their own!

Again economics of a festival for 5,000/7,000 versus ATN with 25,000 last year. Different expectations needed even ticket price is same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,495 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'd agree that it's no contest between the two. ATN is miles better than BTP, way more stages, much nicer site/location, more art installations and areas, probably better in every sense really. Totally forgot about the complete lack of phone reception at BTP too which was a real pain in the hole for locating people especially upon arrival at the festival. Having said that still had a great time but if it's a decision between both I'd choose ATN every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dublingirl83

probably wishful thinking but if armand van Heldan is in Ireland playing at the D8 in the garden gig on the same weekend as ATN, could he possibly make an appearance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Rfrip

how have i only just discovered Barry can’t swim

right up my street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Dunph

Missed his DJ set but he was fantastic live @ the guinneSs stage. So much fun.

Advertisement