Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland Chaos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Fox Tail

They will get it though. One way or the other.

The govt wont see these scroungers go a month without pay and we all know the 1000 euro is long spent.

Yep. But the unemployed just wont pay it.

1 in 3 Dublin City Council tenants are in rent arrears for social housing.

1 in 3!!

And they are asked to pay a weekly average of 71 euro on rent.

How many of those folks, some owing 30k, have been evicted or forced to repay the debt?

You guessed it. 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Not quite sure what eviction has to do with this, but I get what you are saying.

They can just not pay it, but their account will never recover from being in a negative if that’s the case, so there is that.

Yes, true. But new account, welfare funds redirected to new account or withdrawn from An Post etc.

In other words, why care if you cant use you BoI anymore. You dont have to pay the money back so let BoI administer the account, ad infinitum.

As the account holder, I'm never looking at it again. So I dont care.

Banks always get their money, and that debt won’t go away. So getting a loan in the future, or a mortgage, it’ll pop up then.

• Advertisement

How many serial social welfare folks are applying for mortgages?

These are the people taking the free money, because they know they can.

The banks will get their money back from raising fees paid by the rest of us.

Was it just social welfare folks withdrawing money though? Probably not.

The bank will get their money back, in some way or shape.

As I said on another post, those that work and have something to lose will have to repay, but you would fully expect that the majority of working people didnt take out the money.

If you had 2k in your account and you have a job, then there is no reason to take out the cash. Its people with no money in their account that hit this button. Because they have nothing to lose.

And the ones on SW will know they will still get their benefits, one way or another. So to them, it kind of is free money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

You've said this 100 times

Remains to be seen if sw recipients will get assistance for all or some

This is a dubious hardship case

• Registered Users Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hearing stories of people whinging that BOI are being unfair expecting to pay the money back is just fvcking hilarious and really shows how little financial cop on too many people have in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I doubt they'll do anything, those involved in the pay back will just go into arrears after a grace period and the charges will begin.

The overwhelming narrative is about how stupid people were thinking they were getting free money.

There will be a few failed gofundme attempts and they grifters that come with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Tow

The community welfare officer will handout money to put food on the table.

Many will have the wherewithal to open another account and change their payments into it. Others will just visit the welfare officer each week, until the account is positive. It will not be worth the bank's effort to do any more than huff and puff about repayments.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭jj880

If that is allowed what is stopping anyone on social welfare running up an overdraft and abandoning ship on any account? Or in future any time theres a bank glitch/hack or whatever just pilfering coz there was no repayment this time?

I dont know. Id be surprised if there isnt something setup to pay this back in such cases. Even over a couple of years.

Dubious yes, but they will get their support. :)

Exactly! Plenty of workarounds for the social welfare folks and they have all day every day to manipulate them.

Bank will get what they can from the working folks and quickly move on.

Because they wouldnt be approved for an overdraft, so they cant access the funds.

The dam broke here and they could all access an unoffical overdraft, temporarily.

They wont pay it back.

Look at all the rent arrears for social housing. A third of social housing tenants are in arrears in Dublin and many are not paying back a cent.

1000 euro to the bank is small beer and its just not worth the bank pursuing individual cases.

All the bank can really do is black mark your credit rating, but if youre unemployed you cant get credit anyway, so no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭SteM

Will you give it a rest? How many posts have you made in this thread saying the exact same thing but it's not like you have any special insight into the social welfare or banking system, it's just your opinion.

It's making the thread so boring to read. We all understand your view, let's see how things pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A public ATM? That's a ridiculous concept. Nothing public about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's all wishcasting in an attempt to wind others up with very dubious understanding of how banking and welfare work.

There are already ways to go into negative on an account that the system manages, it'll be no different here. If one of the idiots wants to abandon the banking system forever more, they'll pay much more than they gained through extra charges and lack of direct debit then they ever got from the ATM, its just not a rational thing to do for a few weeks of welfare money (because everyone working will be earning more than a couple of thousand a month).

It does play into the stereotypes though of welfare dependents getting things for free, hence the repetitive posts on the subject and looking for others to bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I've paid my rent through BOI but it still hasn't reached my landlords account. I'm utterly sick of this crap. Does anyone here use Revolut as their main bank, ie, wages go to Revolut directly and pay all my bills with it. Any issues with doing that?

I'm ready to dump BOI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭SteM

I think a lot of people have done this, there is an Irish IBAN associated with revolut accounts now at least. The only issue I would have is the limit on amount of cash you can withdraw through an atm with the free revolut account. I'm thinking of dumping PTSB and going to Revolut as my main account as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aoraki

There's a process you have to go through to open a new account with banks these days, banks have to vet every new customer before they open an account. The days where you could just rock up to a bank and give your name and address and open an account no-questions-asked are long gone. Plus if the other banks (there is only PTSB and AIB now) start getting an unusually large amount of requests from people to open up accounts for the purposes of getting social welfare paid into, that might raise alarm bells. AIB and PTSB are probably anticipating this, it's not like the whole affair hasn't been widely publicised.

And if it ever came down to a court case as a result of unpaid debts, it would be very easy from SW records to prove that the recipient was actively trying to evade their debt obligations (SW would have a record of this recipient asking them to change where their payments should go to).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,493 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've been on Jobseekers since November and have handled exactly €0 in cash. I hand my bank card over with my PSC a day tell them I want to lodge the whole lot. Seemples.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭BagofWeed

What's really upsetting most of ye is that these people had the balls/cheek to take out the money. It upsets a lot of people that there are some out there who won't play by the rules that some of ye are actually slaves to. As previously explained there are many ways to cancel DDs, transfer welfare collection etc so the fear mongering is just simply that. You can't get blood out of a stone.

Most of the fear mongering, finger pointing will come from the types of people who would be afraid to drive if their tax was out by a few days, who are disgusted they work hard all week and end up with sfa after mortgage/ car payment plans etc. That is completely understandable but the bitterness and in reality jealousy won't do ye any good. The days of high reward for hard work are finished for a large section of the population particularly younger people so I personally was delighted for these folk who got paid.

Now lot's of them will end up paying it back but there will be a large cohort of folks who will never pay anything back. Ye can huff and puff online as if the bank's were yer friends but deep down ye know ye are getting screwed too with charges and fees.

Fees and charges can also be avoided too but that's for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Yes but point was if u wanted cash u could take it. I got cash. My point was people were saying when the dole goes into their bank account it will be swallowed up by the arrears. If they take cash nothing goes into the bank account to be swallowed up. I always got mine in cash.

People being laid off all the time. Plenty with an overdraft facility available from their earning days.

What happens if times get tight while searching for their next job and theyve seen others in their situation running up an overdraft and deciding not to pay it? They'll think sure why not - I'll have a bit of that.

All speculation right now but just for the precedent it would set I dont think this will be swept under the carpet and forgotten about easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Most of the pyjamas brigade that were in the queue at the Limerick BOI never worked and never will - part of their culture so they never had an overdraft . Probably had an empty BOI account from one of their previous personal injury claims and were able to get the free grand as they called it Tuesday night with an old card .

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

As somebody who worked with one of these evil banks for many years, anyone who thinks people on SW don't access credit is deluded. In fact, more SW people access credit than working people.

Back to school, holy communion parties, Christmas presents are often funded by loans ANNUALLY to the same people. They move from event to event and pay back in the interim.

The stupidity of these people know no bounds that they spend a fortune on Christmas presents and spend the whole year paying back money they don't have with interest. You'd feel like telling them for 1 year to stop borrowing money they don't own and to try get in the black for once but they don't listen because they don't understand the stupidity of their situation.

They've totally shot themselves in the foot in this because they won't get a loan in any reputable institution from here on unless they engage with the bank to sort out the mess they have created. Instead what they'll end up doing now is borrowing money off loan sharks who will charge them twice as much. But hey - that's a problem for another day, get that flatscreen TV and the gubbernment can be blamed in the world of perpetual victimhood.

I wasnt talking about the "pyjama brigade". Im talking about others who will see them get away with it (obviously this is yet to be decided) and will chance their arm too at a later date. Id wager there are people who have been laid off in the last few years still with a legitimate overdraft facility on their account.

Do you think the banks will let it be seen they can be mugged on overdrafts in the future AND eat the loss? Im not so sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭holliehobbie

everyone working does not get more than a few thousand a month unless they’re Ryan T!!

Advertisement