Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars features/styling that you hate?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anything by Ssangyung.

They are so bad. They must genuinely run all design through an department specifically setup to make them ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Running lights that are also indicators. We've had separate lights for 30 years, why is it a good idea to make one light do two functions?

Volvo S40 had a key on dash, instead of beside the steering, so all the other keys on my keyring have scratched the sh*t out of it.

Replacement parts where you need to buy a complete assembly instead of a single part, and expensive OEM parts that are identical to a much cheaper parts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭appledrop

Absolutely hate the electric handbrake on my car, have it four years and drive a huge amount but have never taken to it.

It's any electric handbrake, not my particular brand of car.

Give me a good old fashioned hand brake, even though at times I could barely take it off( especially on a freezing morning when I would be stuck😁)

I just don't trust the electric hand brake and it's very fiddlely on hills, car park ramps etc.

When i bought my new car a few years ago I was adamant it had to have a CD player.

It was like finding a neddle in a haystack but that's one of reasons I bought Seat Ateca in the end.

In hindsight, I haven't used it as much as I thought I would(However I love it for Christmas tunes in Dec) which is good because if say haven't a hope of getting one whenever I change my car down the road.

Led Headlights, feck me I drive a huge amount and in winter nights coming home from work I'm blinded out of it with these headlights coming towards me.

At least if behind me I have a feature on my mirror that dims them but can't do anything on one's coming towards me.

Can't understand how manufacturers got away with these, did no one cop on how bad they are at night on country roads?

• Advertisement

Adblue, who the feck invented that, so headwrecking!!!!!!!!

I'd suggest you don't know how to use your system as none of them are fiddly on hills unless you are manually attempting to knock it off each time instead of letting it do its own thing. That said, hill hold should be part of those systems in all cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭John.G

You wouldnt need one if you had one of these, the 1959 105E Anglia with a reverse swept rear window.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

How is it fiddlely? You don't have to think about it on hills or ramps as it gives you hill start assist. You're obviously doing something wrong.

Post edited by Jim_Hodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

The lecy handbrake is the one bit of modern kit I do like. Before I had hill assist I thought, what's the point of it. But using it is very handy. Previous car had manual grarbox, a pedal P brake with hand lever to release. So to perform a hill start I had to clutch, then select neutral then apply P brake, then clutch, engage first gear, pull release handle away.

• Advertisement

Ya the old foot parking brake. Never did understand how they fitted it with manual gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭AyeGer

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lack of passenger ejector seat. Aston Martin fitted one to the DB5 in the mid 60’s, but they never went into general production.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Was in Newry some weeks back and couldn't figure out what was 'wrong' with all the parked cars. It eventually dawned on me that their windscreens were free of discs for thisthatandtheother. Surprising the difference it made.

Think we'll see it in the next ten years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Overstyling by usually Korean brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭John.G

I hated the non adapative cruise control on my mother's 1963 FIAT 600D, it was a hand throttle connected to the accelerator.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The 'Welcome' message that appears on my VW Passat screen every time I start the car, and sits there until I press OK. After four years of ownership it has become a bit tedious at this stage. Totally pointless feature making an unnecessary distraction. Should default to the Home screen upon startup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You shouldn't be needing it on hills or carparks ramps, they tend to go hand in hand with auto hold, even manual handbrakes have momentary hold in such circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Noelsagan

The lazy factory RHD design in my Volvo V40 that leaves the bonnet release on the passenger side 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Is this why the heater/demister works better on the passenger's side of every car.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭standardg60

Surely you had hill start assist on that car?

My foot park brake manual has thankfully cos otherwise it would be a nightmare. I need to push the foot pedal more to take the pressure off before pulling the release otherwise the handle breaks, which it has. I barely use it now.

Back OT, angular/ flat topped wheel arches are an abomination and should have been consigned to history with the Fiat coupe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

I seen one in the flesh today. Looks like a Porsche rode a Tesla and a VW Beetle and this was spawned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

A car that looks even worse on the road than in pictures. Rear end totally stolen from the Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Yea, I agree. After seeing one in the flesh the rear looks like some tried to draw the back of a Mercedes from memory while drunk.

The alloys have to get a special mention. They look like they were copied off a hot-wheels car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭amacca

Our insignia has an electric handbrake and I can't seem to find hillstart assist on it anywhere...find it a balls of a set up on a steep hill

But that's not my primary objection....its personal experience of little or no trouble with old manual handbrakes over about 30 years and expensive fixes with 3 electrics in recent years

And I just don't like them, find a manual handle you can pull up and directly feel resistance/engagement a lot more reassuring

In one instance an electric handbrakebrake stuck leaving the car I was in inoperable and when I removed the centre dash to get at the emergency cable release it didn't work.....

I don't want assistance I want control of the vehicle and to have as many decisions and operations left within my hontrol as possible....I personally have found many of these systems are increasing a trend towards making the car a black box....which in the long run is bad for the majority of consumers...so yhere is that element too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's nothing to find, it's just automatic, when the car realises it's on a hill it will kick in by itself. Park facing up a hill and lift your foot off the brake, it will hold automatically for a brief while preventing you rolling back.

Even if you were to do it manually, you stop on the hill, put on the electronic brake, and when you're ready to go drive off and the brake will release itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..only to be outdone by over-'overstyling' by BeeEmm and Merc. The Germans currently out-Korea-ing the Koreans atmo.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

There's nothing to do. It's just there when needed. I had an insignia with electric handbrake and it worked a charm. You need to try it out.

Advertisement