Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars features/styling that you hate?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Daytime running lights, A great idea in theory but too many people think they have lights on and/or on at the rear and they don't.

Maybe they should read the manual but it is that common i think the DRL thing needs a re-think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Or just make auto lights standard equipment on all cars. It’s crazy how many safety features are optional, or taxed like any other option if you want to add them. Surely we should be incentivizing their uptake.

Speaking of, lane keep assist is another feature that should be consigned to the bin. What a load of crap.

PS Anyone who forgets to turn their lights on because they have DRLs is quite a dim individual. Pun intended.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A few months back, I had to inform a garda that their lights weren't on properly in their marked garda car (at night). I got the usual "they are" reply before I suggested that they get out and actually take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Scandinavian (front and rear) DRLs should be standard everywhere. Auto lights too, but you’d still have people who’d manually turn them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Matt paint job. It makes the car look like it's been burned in a fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Ryath

Fake exhaust's. Old one looks much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭creedp

Yea can't understand that feature. You even see it on so called luxury cars such as the merc e-class. It's even worse though that BMW couldn't be bothered removing them from the ix3, looks ridiculous on a €70+k EV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭amacca

Still is...another Kim fatarseifashion inspired monstrosity.

Then again beauty in the eye of yhe beholder I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Plastic bumpers that are back to make cars look off road or rugged. Used to be a feature on cheaper cars (like Daewoo) but often a model refresh or higher spec versions (Bluebird?) got the fancier 'body coloured bumpers'. Now it's gone back the other way!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭amacca

I have to say I don't care if a car has drls or not but lads that flash the lights at you in broad daylight when you don't have drls or dims etc boil my piss....they ain't going to make me more visible at midday in the middle of a fine sunny June day ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Excessive chiming, beeps, bongs, bings & chirps.

No engine oil temp gauge (I no longer feel like I'm a WW2 pilot & I have an old van, there's something satisfying to see solid temp on a long drive).

Saloon cars.

Ssanyong styling (some of them look like they got a cheap extension the the owner "designed".)

Buttons that are hidden by the steering wheel. General button placement in my car was designed by a drunk eight year old (Outlander PHEV)

Eyelashes on headlights (I know we're heading in to aftermarket stick ons which I'm sure the OP isn't referring to)

Downward facing exhaust tips (I'm convinced they create skid pans that made me fall off my bike at a right turn acceleration point)

Rev limiters on cars that could sound epic in the port tunnel. (not very green of me)

Excess use of hard plastic on dashes.

Fake wood looks on the dash.

Real wood on the dash.

Diluting recognised performance branding like M for BMW, AMG for Merc, R for Volvo etc... by introducing out M styling, AMG styling etc...

Radiator grills on cars that don't have radiators.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Peugeots with those lights that make them look like a walrus just back from a trip to Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Lack of a separate compartment for the chauffeur. They’ve gotten very soft since they got enclosed and heated driving positions. Bring these back!

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭creedp

Tbh a high proportion of today's chauffeurs would prefer to be in the rear compartment with an AI chauffeur doing the actual driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭chicorytip

No CD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

A dashboard that only the driver can see. Toyota Yaris 🙄

Also, same dashboard that dims when you turn on the headlights ... so that you can no longer read it easily in daylight. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I have a cheap phone with 5 "cameras" at the back. Kinda like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

No full size spare wheel as standard...a wheelbarrow sized one instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

The lack of a rear wiper on bigger saloons, looks weird

Fancy reg plates

The "hhhooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" sound of the boy-racer hatchbacks as they're travelling 5km/h down the street

Yellow cars in general

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No wheelbarrow wheel either, just a thing of gunk.

The fake exhaust reminds me of the fake chimneys on new houses, friend of mine built a house and his wife made him put in a fake chimney because "it looks weird without it", 25 grand it cost.......

Must have been cheaper than the divorce so…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭User1998

• Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

Fake exhaust and fake vents.

Like, What's the point.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The lack of a rear wiper on bigger saloons, looks weird

Saloons don't really need them as the wind turbulence pattern leaves less dirt. Hatchbacks do because the draft they create whereas the rear window on saloons don't have the same turbulence shape...

In addition, the presence of a rear wiper on a saloon would make opening the bootlid a bit trickier.

https://www.internationaljournalssrg.org/IJME/2017/Volume4-Issue1/IJME-V4I1P102.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 19,977 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

A stylistic feature I hate is stupid great creases in body work. Fine if you have recently been in an accident, but not straight from the factory.

Hideaus is wholy inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Allinall

In my car there are three different ways to control the radio, air con, phone etc.-

Control wheel in the central console

Buttons on the dash

Steering wheel controls.

Complete waste of time. I only ever use the centre console controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Honda E.

I've used a few camera rear-view mirrors in Vans and they are very hard to get a proper perspective, very offputting.

Ford with their stupid door opening handles.

Cars where you can't easily find the total mileage on the vehicle.

French cars with their completely unintuitive control layouts.

Card with no actual buttons for key functions, especially climate control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does that actually happen a reasonable amount?

Advertisement