Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars features/styling that you hate?

Options
  • 13-08-2023 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,365 ✭✭✭✭

One thing I've never got to like is black alloys. I think people like them here.

Cars features/styling that you hate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

Radio comes on when you start the car. (I know alot can be reset but fishing for codes and menus can be pain)

All unessary electronic functions ..heated steering wheel , etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

6ft high BMW grills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

SUVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Seen one of these the other day and couldn't believe my eyes. Awful looking yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭creedp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sniperman

electric hand brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can't trust people."

It was my first time seeing one - I had no idea what it was until I got close. It hurt my brain looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭creedp

I'm with you 100%. Neighbour has one so I see it regularly but it's just not growing on me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

That's because it doesn't look good....most things with narrow mean out of proportion arses dont.....and that's not the only problem...

The EV 6 has a weird arse too...but the opposite problem ... big ugly arse wearing a fat elvis era flare on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭amacca

yeah 100%

completely unnecessary and potentially expensive deliberate ploy by manufacturers to overcomplicate a system and screw you out of money to fix it when it inevitably goes wrong...

You could have a hand operated lever and cable which pulls brake (simple, effective and likely not to let you down....or a switch, connected to wires that carry current to an electric motor (often with nylon gears which get destroyed if brakes stick) that pulls cables and engages brakes and absolutely will **** up almost 100% of times before the older manual design will

The last two I saw the gears were ground down requiring the motor replaced etc.. min 1k in each case...usually in awkward location so labour involved but parts not cheap either which is the real motivation...

But the pricking things are on a huge amount of cars now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,717 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Diamond cut alloys

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Nissan leafs still have an old school pedal operated parking brake. I like it.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The styling of all current Toyota models. Clumpy and like something from a comic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,365 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This was very questionable at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Piano black plastic on the interior. Stupid idea that scratches up horribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

The no seatbelt on warning screeching even when you're only moving the car in your driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Chrome Trim, especially on Navy/Blue cars

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Everything in a touch screen, not only is it difficult to find anything but the speed of the touch screen is worse than any tablet/phone that I have, Ford is particularily bad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The no seatbelt warning just because you put something on the seat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Two cup holders moulded into the area between the front seats of VW cars and other makes.

If you're not in the habit of carrying coffee containers or bottles of water etc, they're a waste of stowage space and pretty useless for any other purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Capacitive touch controls and menus in place of actual physical buttons

Buttons in place of knobs. Like on climate control

start-stop

not a feature as such, but car brochures/websites where you can’t compare different trim levels. Just not a thing anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

stop start.

Particularly on a cold or hot day and the heating/aircon turns off with the start stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Having to get out of the bath when the toast is burning. And surely one dipstick per car is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Having to go through menus to disengage dual climate control and sync back to single control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭User1998

DPF’s, EGR’s, and Abblue.

But but think of the children …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭JohnC.

A bad feature of many cars: The driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭AyeGer

My current car has no back window wiper. I know the reason is because of the style of the car but I still miss having a back wiper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭mcburns07

How big they all are these days, too wide for our country lanes to handle realistically.

I just thought of 1, it was in a rental I got a while ago, I think it was a Honda but not sure, but the rear view mirror was actually a screen with a feed from the reversing camera rather than just a mirror, I don't know why but it was very difficult to use, I know rear windows are very small now but come on, a simple mirror is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

It's like riding with hal9000. The computer/driver aids drive you nuts. I'd gladly swap it all for a stereo, I know there's one in there somewhere but you shouldn't have to surf a sub menu just for a bit of cardboard Kenny on newstalk.

Advertisement