Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2023 RWC Buildup, Squads, Fixtures 'etc'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Eddie Jones sacrificing results in the medium term in order to build towards a World Cup?

What could go wrong?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Feels like Eddie buying himself breathing room for the rest of his contract.

"I'm building for the 2027 WC in Australia" ,"Judge me on my results there" etc.

So that's two Southern Hemisphere teams picking only one outhalf in a panel of 33.

And both going in without a genuine front line goal kicker either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I think he's a good coach. Insufferable. Dislikable and an awful selector.

Total madness of a squad. 1 OH!!!

Donaldson as cover? Kemeny before Samu?

Vunivalu selection is a joke.

Nobody would have selected Skelton as Captain. So many strange calls.

Good news is that Ireland will smash that team in the Semi-Final!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭TheRona

If Ireland play like they did last November, Aussie is definitely still capable of a win.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,041 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Australia are without 13 of that 23 from that game !!

certainly not the same Australia.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I mainly meant that Ireland didn't play well the last time they met. They can't afford to be complacent, although I'm sure the squad won't do that in the way some supporters seem to.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,041 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

agreed, we were poor enough.

though i certainly think if that aussie 23 from last november were to play the pick of this 33 squad they would win with a distance.

Maybe! Crowley was parachuted in very late for his first start and JG-P had to take all the ball early. No Lowe either that day!

To put that match and EJ selection into perspective only 7 players from the starting XV have made the 33:

LH: James Slipper (34, ACT Brumbies, Bond Pirates, 131 Tests)

Hooker: David Porecki (30, NSW Waratahs, Seaforth Raiders, 14 Tests)

Lock: Nick Frost (23, ACT Brumbies, Hornsby Lions, 12 Tests)

BR: Rob Valetini (24, ACT Brumbies, Melbourne Harlequins, 34 Tests)

SH: Nic White (33, ACT Brumbies, Muswellbrook Healers, 63 Tests)

Wing: Mark Nawaqanitawase (22, NSW Waratahs, Wests Juniors, 6 Tests)*

FB: Andrew Kellaway (27, Melbourne Rebels, Hunters Hill Rugby Club, 23 Tests)

And 3 Players from the bench:

Taniela Tupou (27, Queensland Reds, Brothers Rugby Club, 48 Tests)

Will Skelton (c) (31, La Rochelle, Wentworth Magpies, 28 Tests)

Jordan Petaia (23, Queensland Reds, Wests Rugby Club, 27 Tests)

And these 2 prob would have started:

Samu Kerevi (29, Urayasu D-Rocks, Souths Magpies, 45 Tests)

Marika Koroibete (31, Saitama Wild Knights, Nasinu Secondary School, 55 Tests)

There are at least 20 (maybe 10!) players that are 'debatable' selections. The maddest selection I've ever seen for a WC.

All of the Irish 23 that day will make the WC squad

Post edited by ionadnapokot on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,394 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Eddie's buying himself excuses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Shehal

If Australia couldnt win that game considering how Ireland played and the circumstances Ireland faced then they will never win.

• Advertisement

The number one ranked team in the world at home to the team ranked 8th in the world at the time, and Aussie should have won? I think Australia would've had a decent shout at this world cup if they'd stuck with Rennie, considering their draw. I still wouldn't be surprised if they pull a big performance out when it gets to the knockout stages of the World Cup.

I think you know very well what I meant when I mentioned circumstances. They would to be fair as they would only have gotten better with more continuity in the coaching staff. I think with Eddie they took a big risk by potentially sacrificing the progress Rennie made to potentially increase their chances of RWC glory, at the moment it's not looking likely to pay off but with Eddie you never know.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Australia will need to beat England or Argentina to get to a SF - Hardly a massive challenge based on current form.

That side of the draw is a complete pisstake up to the Semi-Finals.

But any team that makes the semi will get a massive reality check when they reach that stage. The winner of the A/B Qf's will contest the final imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

So England have Youngs and Care in their squad, amazing to think that they haven't produced a decent scrum half in the last decade. JvP is there too but I'm not convinced he's particularly good (yet). Doak would walk into their squad but can't get a look in with Ireland.

They are still flogging Dan Cole too I see.

England have shot themselves in the foot with a bazooka. Jones made it ALL about this WC. Mad to get rid of him.

I think they will loose to Argentina in the first game. Then they play Japan. I wouldn't be totally shocked if their WC is over after game 2.

Now Jones has made it ALL about the next WC with Australia!

There are 20 players in the Wallaby squad that will be under the age of 31 at the 2027 RWC.

England's squad will have 13 players

Ireland's(tbc) will have 9 players

Kelleher, Hansen, Dorris, Sheehan, O’Toole, Casey, Baird, Crowley, McCarthy

And SA will have just 4!

Ireland will have 4 players (Sexton, Earls, Healy, Murray) in the squad playing in their 4th WC! Would that be a record?

Ireland v SA will be the 'Dads army' game of this WC. Ireland with 15 players over the age of 31 and SA will have 16.

Hopefully Doak delivers on his promise and will be the starting 9 in the next few years. Ireland will also need a few of those U20's to come through soon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ireland always seem to have one of the oldest sides at the WC. Anyone know the average/median age of all the winners?

With the possible exception of the '91 Australian team I'd say all the winning teams were on the older end of the scale.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I know SA were definitely very much on the upper end of the average age distribution of teams at the last RWC, at least. (Possibly highest Tier 1 team).

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Iamabeliever

New Zealand have the most balanced squad picked so far. It's very difficult to bet against the home nation in the opening gane but I can see new Zealand winning that one

• Advertisement

The SA squad's average age was 1 month older than the Irish squad I believe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The current one or the one from 2019? Just out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

On phone so can't find links but remember reading it's around 28 close to 29 as average age of world cup winning squads with an average cap per man around 40 caps

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Does anyone know if the England v Wales match is available to Amazon Prime viewers in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It's on premier sports. Don't think it's on amazon here

The one from 2019, I think the average age was like 28.7 out something like that and Ireland's was like 28.6. Im not a 100% sure as it was 4 years ago and my memory is fuzzy but I'm fairly sure it was 28.5 up to 28.9.

The SA squad from 2023 is like 30.3 or something like that so definitely older.

Ireland's handicap to beat Romania is -51 points at the moment.

Judging on Romania's performances against the US and Georgia this handicap actually seems like a conservative amount...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

This is utter garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭accensi0n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Fiji and Japan probably looking forward to playing Wales and England going by this game

Advertisement