Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate people saying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

"Can I ax you a question?"

Well you can try, but…. if you can't even pronounce a-s-k, good luck axing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

"side hustle"

Post edited by Deja Boo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭brokenbad

"I was today years old when i (insert title here)"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

There's an ad for Bank of Ireland where they mention your "mortgage journey"

pure shyte talk

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wearing the green jersey: usually spouted by insufferably smug business types.

Ireland Inc. As above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Saying not wearing....just saying......

(just saying is a thing I hate people saying lol)

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Bluebell woods

Flatness of spags

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ottolwinner

it’s not my first rodeo that does my head in.

All of the GAA cliches below that you hear managers and players saying when interviewed……

"We go again"

"Lessons were learned"

"The lads put in a tremendous shift"

"Everyone needs to put their shoulders to the wheel"

"Championships aren't won in January"

"They left everything on the pitch"

"A great day for the parish"

"Lookit"

"Listen"

"Yeah, i suppose"

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Needmoretea

"Hon" (insert County or team as appropriate)

"Just saying/sayin'" - another pointless expression

Sorry, I'm in a grumpy mood today :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Declan05

I seen, I done, I have went, I bet him in the race…

Just bad grammar in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

+1 for the GAA heads and their answering any and every question with ‘lookit’. 🤪

+1 for the ‘journey’ too. In about ten minutes I’m going to make a pasta dish, I’m not on a pasta journey, then I’ll probably play my games console. I’m not on a gaming journey….

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

To be fair you could apply those terms to most team sports and I'm no GAA fan.

Job applicants being encouraged to say they are "passionate" about dreary kinds of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Kingslayer

You do you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

when people ask how much something is and I say I don’t know I’ll need more details about the product and have to come back with a price and they respond by asking

‘WOULD YOU HAVE A BALLPARK FIGURE’

would you ever fluck off , I just said I don’t know. Literally could be anywhere between €200 and €2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

The thing that annoys me most and infuriates me with a passion is the current trend of European politicians talking about world war three …. they keep saying we are in a pre war situation and the like …. and sound like they want to see this !! …. stupid, irresponsible dangerous talk …. just as if to deliberately scare the people …. as if to say Covid didn't turn into the scary virus they hoped we have to go with WW3 instead to scare the people !! ….

Digital nomads, just call them "laptop wånkers".

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭ruth...less

'Theyre my person'

There's some seriously sick people out there.

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭drury..

"you have to look after yourself"

Said to someone whos 3 relatives died in a car accident

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Minx.

Generally used by dirty auld lads on the internet slobbering over some young one they saw on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

using ‘them’ instead of ‘those’…….its becoming very common…..’them things over there’…….’them guys gave everything on the pitch’ and sometimes this is followed by the equally cringy phrase ‘so they did’

Also people who use / say pacific instead of specific or squashed instead of quashed…..all ‘piss boiler’ examples …..!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭StevenToast

More American wànk....."Run it back"......

Its a rematch you cùnts!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Photobox

Reminds me of people saying damp squid instead of damp squib

Fly high with the angels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Bertie Ahearne was good a good man for these type of ‘phases’ (phrases) officially known as ‘malapropisms’ (I think) eg’s ‘don’t be upsetting the apple tart’, ‘ Belfast is a great city for Muriel’s on the wall’…..etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

This is what happens when you let people mess with pronouns. It ruins grammar for everyone!!! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Photobox

Ya used to take the P out of him on gift grub for that, one memorable one for me was 'Bertie' saying bon appetit as bon appeTIT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭crusd

Another thing I hate people saying is expressing the general opinion the speech in a local dialect that is not their own local dialect is somehow lesser.

Plenty of examples right here on this thread. One such example is the mockery of people who use ax instead of ask. Ask only being considered the current correct pronunciation. The word itself has evolved from being pronounced acsian to asken to ask and the only thing that makes a pronunciation correct is whether its understood not if it conforms to an arbitrary standard

Advertisement