Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate people saying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

In all in anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭sporina

when using the express check out in my local tesco, staff are always saying "next there AGAIN please" - really annoys me - like if I have used it once, I won't be using it again - wish they would leave out the word "again" grr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Intentionally handed down too. It's nonsense that's crept in only to distinguish people from their inferiors. Can you think of any other words like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Since you ask, "regiment" (the noun) is also a class marker based on the number of syllables voiced. But there are many class markers in speech that do not depend on the number of syllables voiced.

There are lots of class markers in speech. If there weren't, you couldn't draw conclusions about people's socioecomic class from the way they speak. But you can. Not just in Ireland, and not just in English-speaking countries; the existence of class markers in speech is pretty universal. And it requires no more explanation (and is no more controversial) than the existence of regional markers in speech.

Obviously, people can consciously adopt, consciously maintain or consciously transmit class or regional speech markers, and this does happen (both ways — sometimes people consciously adopt lower social class markers). But as a comprehensive account of why these speech markers exist at all or why they persist, that fails completely. Fundamentally, they are natural and organic features of speech.

If you're a Dubliner, for example, you'll have no difficulty distinguishing between working-class Dublin speech and middle-class Dublin speech. That's because of class markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Given the hatred for all things American, it is rare to see their pronunciation being championed here. I use the British pronunciation, but it has nothing to do with my social class. Natural speech makes me say Med Sun with the stress on the second syllable.

"British English drops the unstressed second syllable to make it sound like med-sin /ˈmɛd.sɪn/.

American English keeps it as a 3-syllable word meh-dee-sin /ˈmɛ.dɪ.sɪn/"

• Advertisement

Irish pronunciation is often different to British pronunciation. And if you come from a part of Britain where that’s the standard pronunciation then that’s not an issue is it? Dropping the middle syllable would not be standard pronunciation in Britain for most people I would think.

If you are just putting it on to sound more upper class or to fit in with upper class people, it’s a bit sad/pathetic, which was the whole point.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Saying modren instead of modern.

I thought of another one, heard a couple of people lately use the phrase "Much to my chagrin, … " for something disappointing that happened them. Both times it was regarding a story that they were regaling the few people that were listening with in an attempt to sound impressive. (Pretentious I suppose I mean.)
    The funny thing was both people (separate conversations) used the French pronunciation, sha-gra, whereas SHA-grin is British pronunciation, sha-GRIN is American. Just smacked of people trying hard, maybe only ever saw the word written down and assumed it's only pronounced the French way, but it is an adopted word with its own English pronunciation.

Medicine is also an adopted word. Just because some Irish people use the American pronunciation, does not mean that some of us cannot use the British. Without being accused of being pretentious. More usually I would be accused of using something called Lazy Speech. Language changes all the time, and for the time being current dictionaries recognise/recognize two standard pronunciations.

There is no consistency on these threads when it comes to adopted words. If I pronounced Chic as Chick, I would be told it is French, and has to follow their pronunciation.

• Advertisement

It depends where you come from in Britain, e.g. Midlands is different to Southern parts etc.
    I only made comment about Irish people, putting it on, to sound more upper class. Maybe read the thread before getting carried away.

I read it. I think you are reading too much into overheard conversations. You analyse a dropped syllable from the word Medicine as denoting upwardly mobile notions. And the wrong pronunciation of Chagrin makes you think it is people trying Too Hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

When in a shop I detest when a shop assistant says 'Are you ok?' I mean 'Can I help you' is a million times better

deleted

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I used be embarrassed for Bertie when he pronounced 'government' as 'gumment'.

Are yez tellin' me now that he was actually being posh?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SynBin

I'd pronounce "chagrin" in my mind with a (poor) French accent, but would then endeavour to pronounce it in UK English when speaking. I flip between different pronunciations of "homage", but the more French-sounding one is very commonly used in respected media, so I feel vindicated pronouncing it that way.
    Anyway, back to things that people say that can be annoying (they are to me in any case): "cyclist" and "safety" pronounced with three syllables, "vintners" mispronounced as vitners, "I could care less", "anyhoo", "ye", "in terms of", "to avail of" (it's "to avail oneself of"), "let's align" (every meeting in business these days seems to be about "aligning"), "ordinance" (when "ordnance" is meant), "renumeration" instead of remuneration … the list goes on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Why da feck do the accents of some born and bred Canadians sound Irish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

sports interviews when the person being interviewed keeps saying “sure look” “ah sure look” in every fcukin sentence.
    that saying is cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Lots of Irish emigrated to Canada, particularly Newfoundland, and because of the isolation of NF the accent stuck. It's very pronounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

This is very irish, i like Trailer Park Boys and on there app they have some odd show called 'Tracy & Martina (the stunning actress who plays Tracy is in the thumbnail) in which they have 'Irish like accents'

• Advertisement

Fun fact: English has, as we know, lots of words that it borrows from French. For many of these words there are alterntive pronunciations, one a bit more more "frenchified" than the other. Mostly, both pronunciations are regarded as standard.

So far so good; that's not particularly fun. The fun bit is that, broadly speaking, in American English the more frenchified pronunciation (and sometimes even spelling) tends to predominate; in British English (and Hiberno-English) the other pronunciation dominates.

Examples: garage, envelope, fillet (or filet in the US), valet, homage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Agree about remuneration, nearly always said as reNewmeration - very often by journalists and politicians.

Another one is voilet instead of violet .

It's remuneration, from the Latin munera — gifts, rewards.

But renumeration has a long pedigree of its own. It turns up regularly in English writing from the 16th century onwards, and the error arose even earlier in medieval Latin, where renumeratio occurs as early as the 14th century. It may have started out as a simple typo, but it persists because there's a confusion with the similar-sounding (and more common) words numeral, numerous, enumerate, etc.

Renumerate is sufficiently well-established now that it has its own entry in the Oxford English Dictionary (which notes that it means remunerate).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Working professional. Sounds so snobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Anyone over ten saying 'LOL!"

Another one is brassière. English and American people got so confused with the pronunciation that they just started to call it Bra. Annoyed the hell out of fans of proper English back in the day.

Post edited by dxhound2005 on

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Sports commentators mostly in rugby but sometimes in soccer describing two players as being in “ a foot race “ for possession.
    What other blooty sort of race could they be involved in ? . Slow bicycle race ! . Swimming race ! . Duck race !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

across the pond

When referring to England - usually said slowly in a country accent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭ottolwinner

I reached out.

They reached out

He/she reached out.
    p1ss of and get in contact or call.

Advertisement