Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you hate people saying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Schnooks

Why do alot of ads, jingles etc on RTE, usually advertising their own programs and other internal stuff, refer to the channel as "aaaaaaaaRTE", instead of "awRTE" as I imagine most people do. Jenny O' Sullivan has been doing it for years on the news, but lately I am hearing younger voices saying it like this too. Is it something to do with an "as Gaeilge" pronounciation that I am not familiar with?

And don't get me started with O hEadhra on Drivetime and his completely over the top pronounciations of anything "as Gaeilge" - Gawwwwrda Sioccccchhhhawwwna, an Taoiseaccccchhhhh, Met Aiddddan etc!

All fairly irritating to mine sensitive ears 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 20,512 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I know aaaaaaaaRTE and awRTE create a sound in your head. But I have no idea what that sound is. Is it like the lad in the Sky ad trying to make up his mind what to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Jacqui Burley is desperate for aaaaaaRTE..

Like a fùcking pirate.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Needmoretea

Bespoke. I never really understood why that word became popular and it's everywhere, eg: bespoke florist, bespoke jeweller. I'm upsetting myself typing this :-o

Bespoke could never have been described as popular. It peaked in written English about 200 years ago, but even then at a minuscule percentage of all written words. It has seen a small climb from around 1980, but only to a level well below its peak.

I associate it with Bespoke Suit. I was surprised to see that Bespoke Suit was unknown in written British English until the 1920's, and American English until around 1960.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭brokenbad

"He was one of the greats"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

ahhhh ladssss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,818 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the bespoke thing is laughable. Last night I was shopping or rather browsing online, and every Samsung product / device was described as a bespoke…. Hoover, washing machine, fridge freezer…..all bespoke.

I’m looking now at a pair of black leather shoes, as plain, traditional and run of the mill as you’ll ever see… but somehow…bespoke

• Registered Users Posts: 19,680 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i'm not sure if this is along the theme of the thread, but i've noticed people saying substantive in a business setting when they mean substantial, that and people not knowing when to correctly use Paddy and I and Paddy and me drives me nuts, there is an assumption that Paddy and I is always correct english when it isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Rustic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Listen"...when starting a sentence

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Make America great again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

It is what it is

End of

absolutely instead of yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

”my bad”… “awesome”…”crunching the numbers”….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Used a lot by GAA players and coaches when being interviewed by the media….

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

We start again. Also used by football heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

At least I dragged down my other project partners in their productivity on the project : Said by cr@p people about their job.

Like a pirate saying aahhrrR is the only way I can describe it….most poeple I know would pronounce the R like awrrR

In fact I will expand that and say everything about RTE gets on my goat…..literally pretty much everyone and eveything in that place annoys me….struggling to think of 1 presenter or personality on RTE that I actually like.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭drury..

Consider yourself educated

• Advertisement

If you picked up the idiom "Gets on my goat" from people you know, tell them that the standard form is "Gets my goat".

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Cripps instead of Crisps - it really annoys me………

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I just find it to be an indicator of a place being expensive.

Same as that other wanky term beloved of Irish Christmas markets and beard-stroking food stalls: 'artisan'.

Is it? Sounds like you are hating everything I have said so far 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 37,799 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Theres a growing thread of the 'Traveler Gay Community'

Will be next level

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Here’s your bill Mr Maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭pgj2015

110%, 1000%, 1 million %, anything over 100%.

I will give 110% 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

mini moon

Baby moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Lecter8319

I made a boo boo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,818 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

there is a female continuity announcer on RTÉ whose name I don’t recall but she is a divil for aaaaaaaaaRTÉ.

encountered her a week ago thereabouts at some quare hour of the AM but it was aaaaaaaaaaaRTÉ all the way…

Advertisement