Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're going to miss them when they're gone.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Agree with Morrissey…. The volume and quality of work he will leave behind him. Wow..

he’s led a remarkably uncompromising life. In an era where compromise and concessions of ones spirit, mind and values is almost the expected if not just absolutely demanded, of us all…

he marched to the best beat of his own drum. Less courted controversy as some see him having done and just more enabled himself to say what he personally believed and make music how he wanted …Not always right, usually right but at times quite wrong and dumb, which is a right …Annoyed everyone when he was silent for years, then annoyed people when he spoke his mind…. So 🤷‍♂️….

we’ll miss him when he’s gone. Problem we have…. Very few authentic voices in music / entertainment.. who are essentially now brave enough to just be themselves as artists and people…. Record companies don’t like that, the media doesn’t really always like it…. But where risk, rebellion, originality, standing out from the crowd was celebrated and applauded, now blandness is big ( well D*rmot Kennedy and his ilk sell xxx thousand tickets, albums and listens) and such Morrissey is less of a fit then ever which is probably, no without question a greater reason to celebrate him and be endeared …. He’s 64 now . 🤯 holy fück ! Be missed when he’s gone I think, big time..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

One can also pine for characters one hates on. For a start, if the orange Chump gets hit by a bus tomorrow; it will create a sizable void in my hate repertoire.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gigantic09

All those half price deals from home store and more.When they're gone, they're gone 😟

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Still going flat out on Newstalk, sharp as a pin at the ripe age of 75. Makes a complete mockery of RTE's mandatory retirement.

His knowledge of the intricacies of such a wide variety of subjects as he knows remains remarkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭DecTipp

Eddie lennihan - folklore legend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tell me more about RTEs mandatory retirement policy? It certainly doesn't apply to contractors like Kenny and Duffy.

Pat would be a better presenter if he’d stop pretending that he knows more than his interviewees.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A work colleague was on holiday in Rome a couple years ago with his family.

They were touring the Vatican and came across Michael and his wife. Couple security people nearby but Michael was strolling around like any other grandfather ona break enjoying the sights. Stepped in for a picture with the family.

There isn't a politician in the country that is lacking for people to complain about them, I'm not trying to argue every point on someone on this thread, but I stand by what I said about him.

Was going to mention him myself.

A fantastic current affairs radio host.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭supersaint3

Rural pubs, to digress from the person-based answers so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Finbar Furey. I love his voice and music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

On a human level he has always come across as a very good man.

I am not a huge fan of him politically but he is hard not to like personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭factnee

I'm

Your reply is disingenuous; I'm not disputing that he's a nice man. What I disagree with is your suggestion that he doesn't take himself seriously. He does and anyone who knows him would say that. I also believe he would say that himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Paul Brady is one that springs to mind. Although his output nowadays is much reduced. His songs are something that a lot of us in our 40's and older had as part of the soundtrack to our youths and in particular if we spent time working/living away from Ireland.

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ryan Tubridy of course. Sure he loves death so probably his only regret will he will not be able to talk about his own when the times comes which is probably 100 years away anyway.

As for who would make the World headlines I would say any of the Spice Girls, Boyonce, Lady Gaga or Pink. Anyone of them now would deserve World headlines if they were to be found dead in the morning. I hope that will not be soon do and they all at least have another 60 years of life in them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

At the very start of the Covid crisis, when there was very little known about the virus, there were no vaccines or even PPE and hospitals were full to beyond capacity with staff working day and night shifts to try and cope, I wrote to Michael D to tell of a friend of mine that was an exhausted hospital worker. I told him some specific details and asked if he would drop a line to them, to offer some support.

A few days later, a big envelope arrived from the Arás with a letter from his personal secretary asking me to deliver another enclosed personal letter to my friend, at the request of the president (I felt like James Bond... given a mission, on His Majesty's Secret Service) The letter was a kind expression of appreciation and encouragement to my friend and it referenced specific details to show that it was not a rubber stamp job, and that my original letter had been read in full and considered for a thoughtful and personal reply.

His time and attention was very much appreciated at the time and having lived through a fair few 'jobs for the boys' presidents, I will certainly miss Michael D's approach to the office when he leaves.

This is the cutest funniest post I've ever read on here lol ....sure he loves death lol 😂😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The polar ice caps.

Michael D seems fairly sound. I'd say he'll be missed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

alice mary higgins is a friend of friends. several of those friends won't hear a bad word about michael D after (in their student days) waking up in his house badly hungover and him cooking up a good fry for them.

Ms

Your welcome. Sure all you had to do was read any of the Late Late Show threads when Tubrudy was in charge to see how he loved depressing sad morbid stories of cancer and death. He turned an entertainment show into a depressing slot filled with stories if cancers and deaths.

Hopefully the next host will make it a lighthearted entertainment show again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to change my opinion of someone because someone on the internet effectively is telling me I should. As I said in the OP, there's no shortage of places on Boards where dislike and hatred are common themes.

I'd rather if this thread wasn't another one of those places.

I know it was just the way you said it 😁☺️

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I said I liked the man and never sought to get you to change your opinion of him. I disagreed with you that he doesn't take himself too seriously and you haven't challenged me on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Brendan Gleeson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

The Planet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Dustin the Turkey, national treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

One of the very few people I can think of where it’s almost impossible to find anyone who has a bad word to say about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Terrible lack of respect for Giles from some over the last few years to be honest. He’s made the most sense of any football pundit I can think of over my time watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Advertisement