Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're going to miss them when they're gone.

Options
  • 04-08-2023 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭

I've thought about a thread like this for some time and particularly how it's often we only see appreciation for people after they pass away. Last weeks passing of Sinead O'Connor reminded me once again of that.

I'm not saying that whoever might be mentioned here will read it and like that they were mentioned but it might be a place to see a name and think, yeah, I do appreciate that person and who knows maybe I'll get a chance to experience more of them while I can.

To get the ball rolling, 3 people who fall in to this category for me are Michael D, Christy Moore and Micheal O'Mhuircheartigh (who to be fair, is already out of the public eye).

Michael D - Think he is a perfect representative as Irelands head of state. Cultured, kind and doesn't take himself too seriously. The dogs are the cherries on top.

Christy - Similar to Sinead and Christy Dignam, a voice that many in the country hear and remember a time or moment of pleasure when they were listening to his songs or attending his shows.

Michael O'Mhuircheartaigh - As I said, already gone from the airwaves but my word what an icon for the GAA. I think the GAA is something that Ireland should be hugely proud of and how it provides a sense of community in every parish in the country. For many of my generation, older and even younger, Micheals voice immediately evokes images of sunny days and an intense contest and for me, memories of Sunday afternoons when we'd listen to his commentary and then try to re-enact what he had described in the back yard. Good times.

N.B. Am conscious of the appetite on here for 'things I hate type threads and posts, am hoping this will have a different tone and people won't look to tear apart everyone who is mentioned for one reason or another.

P.S. Not intending this to be directly linked to people who are older and to suggest their time is nearly up. Appreciation can be given to anyone.

Comments

Advertisement