Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds S2-E7- ''Those Old Scientists"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Fantastic episode and fair play to Newsome and Quaid for bringing the same energy to the live action Mariner and Boimler.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Amazing how good the Enterprise looks when it's actually lit up and not black.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

<edit delete, not bothered about wording anymore >..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Enjoyed that. Really liked the two shows mixing together, the messiness of lower decks interfering and giving away so much future secrets felt right.

Strongest scene by far I felt was the one where Boimler and Mariner were talking alone with Pike. Anson Mount does great as Pike.

Amazing how much they were able to tie threads from both shows too. It was a lot to fit into a single episode but stuff like call backs to Una's trial blew my mind.

Also fantastic little things like almost but not giving away the idea for a replicator or how Mariner was sitting when talking to Uhura.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

That was painful to watch, I now recall why I stopped watching Below Decks after 5 mins.

I can’t wait for “the musical” 😖

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Yeah god damn it! I was fan boying out thinking that we were going to see refit NX-01

She was in that god awful Space Force but she did well with what was given to her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I agree, there are going to be episodes that don’t hit the right notes for some of us.

However, I am really enjoying series 2 and hope the franchise has a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I'm afraid this one goes into the bin with Sub Rosa, Up the Long Ladder and most of DIS for me. Really, really not my sort of thing.

Second half was better than the first and Mount continues to be an absolutely brilliant Pike. (I'm trying to be positive!)

Still on board the SNW ship though!! Really hoping they balance out these episodes with some hard(er) Sci-Fi to spread the love around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Up the Long Ladder is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

Not my cuppa either. That’s the worst episode of SNW so far and by a long shot. Even worse it’s deprived us of a regular episode which so far have been great.

I gave up on LD after a few episodes. The ensigns acting like teenagers with ADHD thing doesn’t for me at at all. In fairness they toned that down at points. I can’t think of much I liked if I’m honest. Even the regular SNW cast felt different. I know Trek does have its light episodes but that was just too far IMHO. It’ll be one I skip over on future rewatched I feel. Such a waste of time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

That's the beauty of a show like Star Trek, different episodes will appeal to different people but the overall collection of episodes will appeal to the broadest amount of people. Episodes like Up the Long Ladder or Those Old Scientists may not be interesting or entertaining to me, but I know there'll be more coming along that will work.

It was always going to be the case that this episode is liked or hated depending on how you feel about Lower Decks which very few people seem to be neutral about.

Probably be similar responses with the musical episode

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've no doubt I'll hate the musical episode, but least it's a one-off so I can just shrug and wait for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

This is one of the best things about SNW. If Discoverry did a musical it's probably be a whole season.

Maybe but there is a certain vitriol towards Lower Decks. I have seen a lot of it's detractors who can't just say "I don't like it" but have to get quite nasty about it or about adult cartoons in general.

• Advertisement

I'll be honest, I never got into the likes of Rick & Morty, Seth Macfarlands animated stuff or any of the Adult Swim content save for stuff that turns up online anyway. But there's just enough "Star Trek" in Lower Decks for me to enjoy that show. It strikes the balance of having fun with Star Trek and not just having fun at Star Treks expense.

If Discovery did a musical it would involve lots of crying and all songs would some how end up involving or be about Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

brilliant comparision of the SNW credits and the animated version of it side by side.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Some amount of work had to go into that. Super job by the team at Titmouse (the Lower Decks animation company)

I'm actually rewatching Lower Decks as a result of this episode.

By the way, here's a 5 minutes feature on the Behind the Scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

That may be my favourite cross over episode ever. I giggled like a child the entire way through it. Such joy. Jack Quaid is phenomenal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Holy hell, that was perfect. No notes.

Funny, but restrained all the same so the two shows meshed (the comment about people in the past speaking slower a cute nod), and everything just clicked so well. It was damn lucky Newsone and Quaid vaguely looked like their characters at all - and they did a fabulous job aping their animated versions.

Trials and Tribble'ations may have been overtaken by this for a fun bit of Trek celebration. I get that people don't like Lower Decks and that's fine, but this also felt like an earnest, heartfelt showboat of Trek and its own lore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

One thing I did notice throughout the episode is how tall Jack Quaid is compared to his animated Boimler counterpart.

I've already started rewatching it. First SNW episode I've done that for so far I think. It's just so much fun.

The looking alike is not a coincidence. The animators definitely did it on purpose, if you look at Rutherford and Tendi too. It's a pity didn't see them waiting, through the portal, in real life version.

With the greatest respect to Jerry O Connell, I don't think he'd be able to pull off a live action Ransom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I noted that and I suspect it's a budget thing. Aside from needing uniforms and make up, it would switch them from a voice role to an acting role. Plus the need for travel expenses, since the Lower Decks have been doing all their voice work remotely.

Advertisement