Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds S2-E7- ''Those Old Scientists"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,419 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

People in Canada have also noticed that episode 8 and 9 are down on the schedules to drop the same week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Very tempted to stay up and watch it. Maybe order a cheeky takeaway.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭eadrom

Boom! It's up on Paramount+ :-D

I love what they did with the intro

That was great 😁

• Advertisement

That was fantastic. Very well done.

Nice mix of both styles.

And loved the shout outs the NX Enterprise!!

Ending was also class :D

Very happy with that Crossover episode

Think Orion Hurricanes maybe why the Cerrritos is so crazy lol.

Everyone loves the Grapplers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Thoroughly enjoyed that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Enjoyable and easy going bit of fun. Like the previous episode, they took time to continue all the previous small threads. But it seems like they also torpedoed the Spock/Chapel thing, which is a little surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Just finished watching it...

That was absolutely brilliant ! What a ballsy call to do that start to the episode, and then the opening credits, and indeed the end scene.

Just pure fun, pure Trek and Boimler and Mariner in the flesh were amazing. So good to see both actors in real life playing off each other, great chemistry, as they do as voiceovers in Lower Decks.

That goes down as one of the best cross over episodes ever!

Even my wife who is not a Star Trek fan, enjoyed it ! Actually turned to me and said is it supposed to be this funny !!!

Star Trek Strange New Worlds, long may it continue, has brought back everything that I loved about Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,311 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was awesome and totally what Star Trek should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well that episode had me smiling even tho I don't watch the animated show. Is the koala part of the cartoon show?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,591 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Feckers putting this out early. Feck sake. What was the rush? It's not like there is any new Trek after SNW till September.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Fantastic episode. Easily the best of the season without any doubt. They also managed to blend the humour incredibly well. Loved Pikes line about the communicator "but the flipping is the best part". Also brought in the self awareness in a way that wasn't too hamfisted, from Boimler commenting on the size of the bridge, to him and Mariner mentioning how quietly and slowly everyone spoke compare to LD. Fantastic stuff.

Meh, adds a week extra, what harm really. Nice to wake up to a surprise new Trek on a Sunday rather than on a workday!

Also must add again to how much I've been impressed with Ethan Peck. Jesus his smile is disconcerting in this in a way it probably would seem to Boimler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

Very enjoyable episode. I thought with this dropping early, we would have to wait until the 3rd for next episode.

But IMDb has it billed for the 27th.

I wonder will TOS mean that for the fandom?

Commander Ransom refers to Number One as the "hottest first officer in Starfleet history". This is likely a reference to the fact that Jerry O'Connell, who voices Ransom, and Rebecca Romijn, who portrays Number One, are married in real life.

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

I had no real hopes for this episode but it turned out really well. Boimler kind of works in live action but Mariner seemed weird, then I could have been distracted by my loathing of nose piercings. One thing they could have added was a little visit from Dulmer and Lucsly at the end.

The "new ship has a piece of the old ship" thing is kind of interesting but then how does it work in cases Like C to D?

I read the below before seeing the episode which spoiled it a bit.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah it's the afterlife koala. People see it when they have near death experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,591 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just finished watching. That was a fantastic episode. Loved it all.

Boimler being all scared of Una lol.

I think it's silly that the engineer is thousands of years old do. I do not believe that. Hundreds maybe but not thousands.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah it doesn't really work when you overthink it. The Enterprise-Nothing was destroyed, the Enterprise-A was a redesignation of a different ship. Similarly, Ent-C was destroyed and the Enterprise-G was the Titan redesignated. Guess it's a "best effort" kind of tradition.

I think it would be funny if Boimler was freaked out seeing Una because of the pre-TOS accident that resulted in Nurse Chapel's consciousness permanently trapped in Number One's body.

That is not canon story?

Nurse Chapel's consciousness was never permanently trapped in Number One's body in any Star Trek canon. This was a fan theory that was popularized by the novel "The Return" by Diane Duane, but it was never actually confirmed in any of the shows or movies.

In the novel, Chapel's consciousness is accidentally transferred into Number One's body after a transporter accident. Chapel is able to live in Number One's body for a while, but eventually she decides to transfer her consciousness back to her own body. The novel ends with Chapel and Number One both alive and well in their own bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Great episode. And it just worked

Pretty sure Boimler wasn't the only one with a poster of her, which I guess is the joke.

Ortegas and Uhura reaiising they were sounding like Mariner and Boimler.

Una commenting on the oddly specific scenarios.

Thought might have gotten some comment about Pelia, either saying how never heard of her or how she's known by everyone, as a wee joke about how her and her species are new (aren't they?).

No comment about La'an either. Surely they must've had some thoughts about Khan.

Anyone else think the lead Orion looked like Rene Auberjonois? At least I think that's who he reminded me of.

I was joking about them both being played by Majel Barrett. (And all mentions of number One pretty much disappearing entirely from canon until SNW came along). Didn't actually realise that someone took that too far and wrote a fanfiction novel around it.

That was very good and weirdly more of a straight episode than some of the other "comedy" episodes.

The intro and finale were great calls. I also didn't realise just how much I loved Lower Decks. I mean seeing them gave me the same kind of buzz you get from seeing legacy characters on Lower Decks.

Only downside was that from very early on I thought we are going to see NX-01

The Enterprise - A isn't canon but ya it was a silly plot twist.

I was actually more impressed with Mariner, thought she was perfect in live action. I've seen Jack Quaid in enough TV and film that I expected he'd be good (and he was!) but I've never seen Tawny Newsome in anything. Instantly recognisable as the character, both looks and mannerisms, and really funny.

Also -- don't think it's been noted here yet -- this was a Frakes episode, too. I'd say that was a lot of fun on set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I didn't even spot the Koala first time around.

I'm grinning from ear to ear after that. Loved it and it probably was a ton of fun to film. The animated ending was a great touch.

Advertisement