Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favorite childhood memory ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭vixdname

You can still buy Smak drinks here in a certain shop in Waterford - I got the Smak Pineapple a while ago in a 2 litre bottle - still tasted the same !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

My grandparents calling to the primary school one weekday morning totally unexpectedly when I was 6 and my brother was 4 and taking us out to go on a picnic to Gougane Barra. My grandfather, who I idolised, died not too long afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

10p would of been a bit steep for the late 70's, more like...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

3p was a lot for a kid back in the 70s. Even though a bag of Taytos was well worth it as the bag was full. Not like today where the bag is much smaller and only half the packet is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

3p would be early 70s (too far back for me to remember). I think it was 7-8p in about 1978, 10p was probably early 80s.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. 10p just seemed a bit high.

Depends on what you spent it on. Personally wherever I was lucky enough to have 10p I would spend it on trigger toffee bars. 10 bars for 10p. I would get a couple of days out of them. Great value. Wouldn't happen today.

After watching the FA Cup final on TV and then meeting up with all my friends to have a game of soccer. I was always picked to go in goals because I was useless out field. At the time I thought I was Pat Jennins but to be honest I couldn't catch a cold never mind a soccer ball. I look back and think how innocent I was back in the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Barcley

Favourite childhood memories were associated with mitching in secondary school. Usually headed to the other side of town with a bunch of lads and find a park or field, sit around and smoke woodbines and tell tall tales.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭ruth...less

I have/had great memories of my childminder. She was pippaesque from home and away. She had her own kids but she treated you like you were one of them. She knew arts and crafts. She was fun and creative. Bad cook though. Let's call her Ann. She was pure. Never wore makeup. Never drank. She was a complete saint. She knew **** too. She knew the latest best toy that was coming out. She wrote to zig and zag for us.

Yep great memories...until my mam ruined them lol. She told me a story a while ago and I will never look at Ann the same way again.

Late eighties, ann was in my house chatting to my mam.. probably fixing or helping with some household diy..anyway she saw out the window her husband, Paul pull into their driveway and with that, she got up and announced to my mam, 'suppose I better go home and sit on Paul's face' 😮😮😮😂😂😂😂

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Advertisement

That's brilliant memory. Thank you for sharing. ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

One of my favourite memories from when I was around 16 was me and my best mate who lived next door being brought to Croke Park by his Dad regularly to watch the Dubs back when Croke Park wasn’t quiet as salubrious as it is now (we’re talking late 1980s).

We’d stop off for a couple of pints before the match, watch the match from the canal end, have a couple more pints and then get the bus home.

I will always remember bursting for a piss by the time we were halfway home on the bus and sometimes having to get off to go.

My dad wasn’t a GAA fan so it was my mates dad who introduced me intercounty matches. My mates dad died this week in his 80’s, and whilst I haven’t seen him or my old best mate in maybe 20 years I went to the funeral today so say thanks for the memories and goodbye. The mad thing was my old best mate now looks exactly like his dad did all them years ago. We’re getting old!!

Playing kiss chase was one of my least favorite games to to play as a young boisterous teenager as I always ended up kissing the sloppy seconds. Yuk. 🤮

Post edited by toggle toes on

Pretty much the only live football on TV all year except for watching Ireland lose internationals.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

My dad worked next to our home and we would come home every day from school for our dinner at 1. On the way back to school I'd be overjoyed to hear his whistle and then a grin as he'd root round in his coat pocket and produce coins for the sweet shop.

He'd always pretend he didn't have anything at first but a few 'aw dads' would soon have sweet money appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Bringing bales of hay out to 2 bullocks, in winter.

As we lived near the countryside. My siblings and I used to go picking mushrooms. We would bring them home and our mom would make the most delicious homemade mushroom soup. 🍄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Thanks to the 1978 World Cup in Argentina, we have proof!! (The first price change in Tayto that I noticed as a kid was from 7p to 8p.) ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I used to go picking mushrooms with my father (and sometimes my older sister) and have good memories of the foggy or wet mornings, going from field to field. I didn't like mushrooms and still don't, but I enjoyed the mornings picking them.

Most of the fields have housing estates on them now...

You can't put the words "World Cup" on anything now without paying a fortune in royalties...

Great find though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Meting friends after school in primary school with no idea what the next 3 hours before dinner time had in store for you ,

Golf course, woods, beach , football , train tracks , corn fields , who knew where u;d go but you knew ud be having the time of your lives ,

Such beautifully simply times, All our families struggled through the 80s & early 90 , we where totally oblivious, Probably due to lack of social media & the like your world was your world you weren't really aware of anything else, The last time of total freedom for kids ,

If only we could turn back the clock and show kids of today how times were so innocent back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Nice one.

I made my communion in 1979 and they were still 7p then. Used some of the money to go on an almightly sweets/crisps/drinks spending spree.

Are you kidding, there was a hell of a lot going on which was far from innocent, and most of the perps got away with it too.

No I'm not kidding. Looking back now I realise there was a lot going on when I was a young teenager. I was too busy enjoying been a teenager to think of what was happening in Ireland back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Photobox

Playing on my own in the back garden when I was about 4 or 5 and the cat next door came in with her three kittens and i spent the evening playing with them and started my life long obsession with cats. That memory randomly came back to me today. Hadn't thought of it in years and I still remember the delight nearly 50 years later.

Another great memory for me as a child was meeting my dad at 3.00pm on a Sunday afternoon after he had had a couple of pint in his local. He would give me and my siblings 50p each to go to the Sunday Matinee in our local cinema. The 50p would get us a ticket which usually cost 30p and the 20p would get us some sweets. Innocent times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

when Ray Houghton got the ball and stuck it in the net, on the noggin and with his eyes pretty much closed, when we beat ye limeys in Euros

~12th June 1988 iirc

😊

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Going to the beach with my granny and cousins and she had one of those big cooler cases? I don't know they're usually red or blue and she'd make loads of sandwiches and bring homemade cakes. She always made me a corned beef sandwich especially because I was the only one who liked it and I always remember her making a fuss about the corned beef sandwich being like..Ruth I have your sandwich here and after being out in the water and running around all day, those sandwiches were the best.

Actually I'd love to be at the beach now with my granny.

Post edited by ruth...less on

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

They were impressive cooler cases. Had a handle on top and kept everything very cold. We brought them to the beaches of south Wexford too all through the 1970s and 1980s. Great times.

Advertisement