Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favorite childhood memory ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 shkrood

I’m not old but still have great childhood memories.

1. me, my mother and my sister often visiting my aunt. My older cousin was my sisters age, my younger cousin my age. We’d get takeaway from the Chinese and after play call of duty black ops 2 zombies on town map and play rounds into the night while my mother and aunt would chat in the kitchen.
    2. playing Halo with primary school friends
    3. cycling 40 km + - per day exploring the countryside with my friend in the summer nearly everyday, mam giving out that I’m staying out too late. In that way, living in the countryside with that freedom was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Going to my elderly neighbour's house to pick up her favoiurite Toffee bar. I don't know if any of you remember a toffee bar called Trigger bar. This was the in the 70s. Our elderly neighbor used to love trigger bars and every Friday my mam would collect her pension for her as she had limited mobility.

Each trigger bar would cost 1p and whe I got back she would give me a bar and would always ask same time tomorrow? My elderly neighbor really was a kind old soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Playing tip the pole 1, 2, 3.

Never heard of tip the pole when I was a kid growing up in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,242 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah it's a game elderly bachelors used to play with the local kids back in the day (keeping it a secret from their parents was parents was part of the fun). He'd gather them round him in a circle and get them to...

No seriously when we were on holidays with our aunt in Dublin we'd play a hide and seek variant with the neighbouring kids called 'Tip the can', I presume 'pole' is an alternative name....

• Advertisement

Thank you for explaining that to me. It must have been a game that was popular among kids in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sorry I meant my previous post was kinda negative.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Going up to London for the day on the tube with my mam and my brothers, to go to the museums.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I remember bag of Taytos was massive and was 2 and half p and you got a bag of MrPerri for 2p. Our local shop and school sweet shop had everything you could wish for for less than 5p .

Used to bring glass bottles back to the local shop and get a patsy pop, an orange split, or a bundle of cola bottles or bon bons or mixed boiled sweets for the change.

We played down the road with all my neighbours , built dens, had gangs which changed over regularly, and chased each other around till nightfall playing tig or rover, or with skipping ropes . People were tied up when we played cops and robbers or cowboys and Indians .

We had go-cars made from apple crates and pramwheels and bits of rope as well. The fun and danger and the speed !

Red lemonade , swimming in the river outside the town I grew up in where my mam brought me until I learned to swim and then I went swimming with my friends there . We used to cycle there and back or get a 'bar ' from some of the lads we knew .

Went to the local beach about 30 miles away a lot at the weekends with my parents and brothers and sisters...all packed in the one little car ,with a basket of ham and chicken sandwiches and diluted miwadi.

Dad would have the rug by the car for him and Mam listening to whatever GAA match was on , some guy ranting as gaeilge and we'd be on the beach jumping in the waves or burying each other in the sand . At the rockpools with a little fishing net between us trying to catch something which we were made throw back or poking jellyfish in awe .

99s or chips on the way home . Nothing on that beach except one shop and a chipper van and it was bliss .

Always got a little sunburnt and we'd end up covered with calamine lotion . No such thing as sun protection those days except Mam chasing us with tshirts that we always took off.

Went to my cousins further up the country during the summer . Stayed with my granny and had so many cousins around I loved it there . My siblings didn't have the same connections there, so it was all mine for a change and I loved that !

We used to cycle or walk to go swimming in an outdoor pool , no adults , and to the lake where we swam and fished for briceens , and in later years , boys;)

Most of the lads I grew up with playing in the hay fields making bale igloos , going swimming or later at discos in the local rowing or tennis club ,were all good friends and we still are. Met my oh a few years after this as he hung out in a different but largely the same gang ,iykwim ! He never got to see me in my tomboy glory :)

We were like others here , left go out all day long but I do remember the odd wet summer when all you could do was have friends over or be on the landline and your dad going mad over the bill .

I remember the news ,Richie Ruin , Dad worrying over oil, the immersion , and electricity bills when I was older and my older siblings had started to go to uni . But not in the glorious summer days up to about 15 .

My parents never seemed to be worried about us once they knew roughly who we were with and when we got back .

We never went on a foreign holiday. Two weeks of bliss in the West every year spent mainly swimming in the sea or at the Merrys on an evening .

Closest I got was school trip to UK in leaving cert . Not that we couldn't afford to go , it just wasn't done, except the Gaeltacht ,which was foreign enough , lol .

Loved it , went a few times and it was way more than learning Irish !

I have tried to replicate as much as possible the fun and freedom that we had without being reported by neighbour for being negligent . I think mine have had a good happy childhood albeit different from what myself and my oh had .

They laugh at us when we tell them about our childhood and we get " oh I had to go to school after I gathered the turf and was in rags with bare feet ," or " I crossed the hills in the snow to go to school " which is all bs but they love it .

Thing is we were lucky because I know others weren't , and heard later bad stuff that we were sheltered from.

My parents are long gone but they were the best and I am grateful , and Jake sure my kids know all about them . ❤

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Waking up with excitement upon realising there is a WHOLE BRAND NEW DAY of adventure ahead of me. Running around the bit of a woods here, getting covered in muck, going to the shed to see the uncle and granddad tinkering with old cars. Milking goats by hand, feeding the chickens. This was all before I was 5. After I was forced to go to school my quality of life deteriorated

• Advertisement

Yes the woods. I spent many a time as a child playing hide and seek in our local woods. I wasn't much of a tree climber but when one of my friends tried to hide up a tree luckily for me I didn't have to climb the tree. He fell off and broke his arm. At the time my friends and I thought it was so funny but looking back not so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Going to the shop , and my neighbour would call me as I was passing to give me bottles to return . 10p for each bottle which I spent on sweets and minerals.

Me and my best friend catching pigeons. My best friend used to race pigeons when he was a teenager. One time we went looking for pigeons and we came accross this old derelict prison that was used durning the famine times. We managed to get in through a broken window. It was pitch black and we couldn't see in front of us. It was so erie. I was sh***ing mmyself. I couldn't wait to get out of there.

Looking back now I can see the funny side. It is one of those childhood memories that my best friend and I often bring up in conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Collecting branches and other materials for bonfire night which was on April 30th in Limerick

Also, long walks through the fields and along country roads with my Dad and our dog on weekends

Same hare. Halloween was oneof my favorite times of the year. The 1st of October is my friends a I would start collecting branches and old furniture from the neighbour's. There was a field where there were used tractor tires and we woul rob some of the tires to build the bonfire. Ma y a time the fire brigade had to come out as the bonfire got out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭passatman86

Sleepovers in grandparents house

Spending time in the mobile home down in wexford - rain on the roof meant the best sleeps ever 😁

Going to away games all over the country for league of ireland matches

Lying in bed at night in Winter time listening to the wind and rain. Snugged up nice and tight. Also listening to Radio Luxenburg on a short wave radio before RTE radio two launched in 1977 . Depending on weather conditions the signal would drop in and out. They used to play some great 70's pop.

Post edited by toggle toes on

Smak minerals, great stuff to get the teeth itching.

Sorry I have never heard of Smak minerals. I would love to know? If any posters know what type of minerals they were could you please post. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I remember the thin cans. It’s made in Down, so it could be an up North thing, like Football Special or Cavan Cola

https://m.facebook.com/smakbeverages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭BlueEyeGleams

I’ve one enduring memory and that’s my old man telling me to lean on a docked boat and he eventually snatched me at full stretch just before I got wet.

I assume the lesson was “don’t push the boat out” or something he also hands freed the family car hurtlin down the motorway one time, told me take the reigns or we’d crash I’ve stuck to the pushbike ever since

Spending the Summer holidays picking stones and potatoes for one of the local farmers. It was hard on the legs and back but it was the only way to make some money for me to be able to buy music tapes and the odd record.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Any day my pr1ck of a brother had some misfortune. It always brought a smile to my face.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

An unusual happy childhood memory but I'm sure you had your reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

It’s unique enough to be worth sharing.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Christmas. My Mother always made it very special. I miss her.

Going on holiday to Spanish Point. Ten of us cramped in to a caravan. We were like sardines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Not so much a specific memory but remembering the world we make for ourselves as kids. Chasing/hide and go seek down the woods in my estate, building bases, playing football until twilight and then sitting on the curb sweaty but with a bag of sweets and a drink/ice cream chatting to friends.

That was my world for years and I look at kids who can't have their own little world for themselves anymore, reality comes too early in life now.

I am so so so thankful for my childhood as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Waking up on Christmas morning to find Santy brought exactly what I asked for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭orourkeda1

Not really childhood but the last time my entire family went away on holiday together I was 17. So many milestones reached in that summer.

Memories that will last the rest pf my life.

https://www.orourkeda.blog

Advertisement