Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favorite childhood memory ?

Options
  • 22-07-2023 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

What are your happy memories as a child? I had a very happy childhood and a lot was down to the times I grew up in. We didn't have the technology we have today so we had to make up our own fun and games.

One of my favorite memories was when I was around ten years old the rag man would call once a week to our house. If my mam had old clothes she would give hem to him and in exchange he would give me and my brothers and sisters a balloon or if he didn't have any balloons he would offer to do odd jobs around the house.

They really were happy days. So what happy memories do you remember as a child? Was it playing a children's game or just hanging around with friends and getting up to some sort of mischief ?

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

None really.

My life was really good as a child, but I just hated childhood. Don't know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Photobox

No particular memory. Just being able to shoot the breeze. Hang out with friends, not having to be anywhere apart from school or not being responsible for anyone. I will never know that freedom again. I had a very happy childhood thankfully , parents were kind and caring people.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,879 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I look at kids now and I realise my childhood was idyllic. Innocent really.

We knocked on each other's doors, we phoned each other on land lines (but only after 6pm), we spent our school holidays not being brought places by our parents or in tightly managed summer camps, but by exploring, playing, hurting ourselves, laughing, sun burning and generally soaking up the life lessons of becoming a person.

We had a fair balance of discipline and freedom and we weren't bombarded with information that we were too young to process, like I believe kids are today.

So my happy memories are a tapestry. Santa visits in Cornelscourt, Brittas Bay, car rides to see hurling matches in new and strange Counties, dozens of us playing football on the green, getting our dog when I was 7, day trips on the Ferry to Holyhead, learning to ride a bike and learning to swim on a Thursday evening after school.

Kids might have more experiences now, more windows on the World, but are they happier? Maybe they are, but I feel achieving joy and contentment for kids is a whole lot more challenging for parents today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Learning to swim in the Guinness swimming pool , it gave me a life long interest in Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

I totally agree. When my kids were young I would take them to all the places I went to as a child. I used to chat to them about what life was like for me as a child and how my mam stayed at home taking care of my brothers and sisters and I.

They couldn't belive my mam cared for four brothers and four sisters. They would look at me with disbelief. Wheather children are happier today it remains to be seen. All I know is that I wouldn't swap a minute of my childhood for today's childhood. That's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

100% my happiest memory was the day my parents got the clergy repellent spray called Priest Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭gidget

Post edited by gidget on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭cute geoge

myself ,parents ,2 siblings ,my gran uncle and 2 grandparents lived together on a farm with another gran uncle and gran aunt llved next door and I spent as much time there as at home .I have brillant memories of all this time spent being reared by an older generation who were salt of the earth.My gran aunt was 1st to die when I was 13 and they were all gone by the time I was 18 ,When I look back it was a big change in such a short space of time but they were all upto and over 80 years of age .I was just thinking I was so lucky to have had my child hood in their company and cherish the memories

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

99s and bags of chips. Youze were rich. We played on the gates in the cattle mart and beat fields of nettles and thistles with sticks.

And we were still happier than the miserable fcuks today with their heads stuck in a phone from one end of the day to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Couldn’t narrow it down to one….here are some…

I have to say every Christmas and birthdays and family events were great fun but aside from those….

1987 - first time in America, the whole excitement of a long haul flight on a jumbo… spent around one week with family in New York, flew down to Florida, all the theme parks etc and back to NY. Was excited about the long road trips and expansive scenery too. Brilliant hotel off International Drive super views of the fireworks and goings on and cool stuff for kids was next to the Outback restaurant too.🫣😋 7 of us in total and not a cross word from anyone to anyone.. hospitality from family in NY was other worldly.

1989 ? - my Dad had a significant health event and got to the hospital just in time… never so relieved to see my mother coming home happy at crazy AM to say… “everything will be ok” still with us but managing the condition wisely since.

1991 - escaping the death grip of a grim odious cûnt of a teacher, (she was a useless terror) and seeing out the end of my primary education being taught by an legend of a person and educator.

1993 - Florida again, enjoyed it more was by then a teenager. Did Busch gardens as well as other stuff like Universal we didn’t see the first time.

1994 - New York, got to go to lots of World cup games… including Ireland vs Italy. As much as I loved the Irish aspect… seeing live in the flesh… Baggio, Donadoni, Stoichkov, Baresi, Letchkov, Klinsmann, Mattheus… absolute all time forever greats of the game and out of this world entertaining. Competitive sport at its pinnacle in terms of entertainment and competitiveness and importance… still, nothing bet Ireland vs Italy, the Houghton goal and McGrath absolutely bossing the game, class.

• Advertisement

Getting up early on a Summer's morning meeting my friends and walking the country side. We would laze about in the hay fields and go picking mushrooms picking. When I'd get back home my mam would make a delicious creamy mushrooms soup with homemade brown bread. Just delicious.

Post edited by toggle toes on

We used to make camps out of the bails of hay. Don't see many bails of hay these days. All rolled up and wrapped in black plastic. Another great memory from my childhood years.

That reminds me I nearly got sold to the farmers son one day when I was about 12.

We were all playing on the haybails and the farmers son was out and he was about 20. There was a good few of us out and I'm sure the farmers son was overwhelmed, didn't tell us to leave. Anyway some of the boys we were there with wanted a go on the tractor and the farmers son said no and one of the blokes basically said you can have her if you give me a go on the tractor and the farmers son looked at me like he almost considered it for a second and then said 'ah nah I couldn't do that'!!

Ye fun times...

That's a great memory. Shame on your brother. He was going to sell you for just one ride on the tractor. Sure we all did silly things when we were young. It was part of our innonence as children.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Looking at clouds with my friends

also picking fruit of the hedges. Raiding orchards

Eh not my brother. My brother would never say that. It was a friend/aquaintance who hung around in the same group.

Joining my friends and their mother down the road for walks around the suburbs, she always had interesting & scary anecdotes about things that happened in this or that house, and how burglars gained access to certain houses. Walks too with my mother who told me the life stories of people who lived in the various houses when out on our walks. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I used to love the last day of primary school before Christmas, we used to have a school play after the last day of school. Then you had Christmas day to look forward to.

I absolutely went mental for those Súgradh/Spraoi/Siamsa/Sonas annuals we'd get around that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Playing rounders with the other kids in the local green till it got dark

One hand and youre out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

loads of things, getting up very early on Christmas morning and finding a doll's house, cutting out paper dolls, playing snakes and ladders on Christmas day, sitting in front of the fire with all my family on a dark wet night, and feeling warm and secure and safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Late 70’s/early 80’s the neighbours had plants and flowers in their garden. One of the plants had long thin stems with soft leaves, the plant was all green I think and didn’t grow tall but had lots of stems.

Kids plucked the stems from the base of the plant and sucked the juice from the stem. I think they called them jucie’s but I’ve no idea what that plant was.

If anyone knows what that plant might have been, I’d love to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Building a bonfire for Halloween. My friends and I would call around to the neighbors houses and collect any old furniture they had to build a bonfire. The neighbour's would also help build the fire.

Many a time we got chased by the fire brigade because the bonfire would be too big. Afterwards we would sit around and tell ghost stories eat othe treats we got trigger treating. Mostly monkey nuts which I hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Did the leaves look like larger shamrock & the juice kind of tart/sour?

Could be sorrel/oxalis. I drank plenty of its stems in the 70s myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Never done bonfires for halloween, just June around the solstice. Used to wait until dark to light it, of course back then we didn’t realize it was the longest day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭phormium

Sunday afternoons, Disney film on tv, curtains pulled, orange mi-wadi and box of USA biscuits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

Tying a rope onto a lamppost to make a swing

Playing sides or 'kerbs' with extra points for getting it over a car

Climbing trees to dizzying heights that nowadays would have your folks interrogated by TUSLA

Going swimming in the local baths, and having to walk home coz you spent the 25p bus fair on sweets

Heads and volleys against the neighbors gate and no one out complaining about the noise

Being able to disappear from home in the summer from sunrise and not coming home until sunset, usually covered in muck with a few cuts and bruises from that days adventure and your parents not even remotely worried about the fact you were gone all day

Rubbing baby oil on your skin on a hot day in the hope of getting a tan

Finding a dirty magazine in a friends house and the way it'd make you feel as a young chap

Sitting on the green to watch the older bolder lads do handbrake turns in stolen cars, occasionally pursued by the Garda

As you got older waiting by a payphone to ring a girl at a certain time and some fcuker hogging the box and having to bang on the glass to hurry them along

As a child of the 70's and 80's we had so much more freedom without the social media bullsh1t or the other bolloxollogy kids have to put up with now - we were allowed to be kids. I have 4 kids now myself and despite trying to allow them as much freedom as possible I really couldn't imagine letting my youngest who is now 12 head off for 12 hours without knowing where she was or who she was with in the way we used to. Times change I suppose.

Advertisement