Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depeche mode feb 3rd 2024

Options
  • 18-07-2023 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

How come the cheapest ticket is now 160 euros for standing.

It was 97 euros which isn't exactly low.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Dynamic pricing was enabled so ticket price raised to “market value”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Horrendous stuff. I'd expect a go on drums at some stage for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

This is basically the standard now for any bigger gigs since they were forced to shut down Seatwave when the anti-tout law came in, they are just legally touting in house now, expected stuff from TM. These days your best bet is to grab a ticket as soon as they go on sale or in a pre-sale or wait until closer to the show when they inevitably can't sell the platinum tickets and put them back to the normal price.

Keep checking semi regularly and you should hopefully get one for the original price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Wooderson

So instead of paying inflated prices to touts, we're paying inflated prices to tm. Sweet!

• Advertisement

Makes a mockery of the "prevention of reselling above original value" aims within the legislation.

Again no ticket is being resold, the original value is the “‘market value” they are now charging.

no real difference if they just held same number and sold them as “front row seat” or “early access standing”.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Semantics really to get around the anti touting rules to so they can tout tickets themselves.

Ah cmon. There is a transition from the published price and the presale price and this fiasco. The mealy mouthed defense youre going with above would be laughed at by the vast majority of people. This is extortion a lot worse than the previous, namely buying a moody ticket from one of the fellas on crutches outside the Olympia.

Master of the Universe

It's 100% the same as touting.

There was an original price. The ticket is now being sold for a vastly inflated price.

The only difference is how you frame it linguistically.

Ticketmaster are absolute scum and have basically used the anti touting rules completely to their advantage to take the tout's share of the market for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Makes the website toutless.com a definate goto closer to gig time.

Again not the same as touting as the artist in this case Depeche mode get the vast vast majority of money.

The legislation made a total mockery of. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Here's a thought. Stop paying the ridiculous prices being asked.

I've heard people on the radio saying they had to pay €XXX for a concert ticket. No they didn't.

Ticketmaster is a rip off but it's not compulsory to attend any event.

The legislation was never designed or attempted to address primary ticket agents Aka ticketmaster charging different prices for tickets.

Its only aim was to outlaw third parties aka ticket touts from selling tickets above original price charged for certain events at venues which applied to be under the law.

That's market forces for you. The whole rationale of dynamic pricing. As long as we're willing to fork out, they'll keep driving that ****. I'd love to see the gig going public vote with their feet and stop paying it but that's not going to happen, is it? I certainly won't be forking out that sort of dosh for any act.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭8mv

This dynamic pricing lark is the final insult. I've been to four or five gigs in the past 6 months or so and paid no more than €45 for a ticket. Most tickets were bought directly from the venue - I try to avoid TM if I can. They weren't big global names but it's refreshing to be part of a smaller, informed audience who are familiar with the performers and their back catalogue as opposed to the big stadium gigs where a lot of the audience are there to log their event attendance on Instagram and who would be hard pressed to name five Springsteen songs off the top of their heads.

Well that's it. It's good to be at that stage. I wish it was as simple as genuine music fans = small obscure bands in the button factory at €15 euro a pop, assholes who are there for the Insta photo opportunity and a very long, loud catch up with their mates mid set = 3 arena at 120 yoyos a pop. Of course it's not, there are still great bands that I want to see playing high profile, high cost gigs but not many. Most of my gigs are smaller, cheaper and more satisfying. And that trend is only going to continue.

Master of the Universe

As a matter of interest, do you agree with this practice? You really seem to be bringing out the semantics as I said to defend a practice that, in essence, has exactly the same impact on a concert goer as a tout. Preventing people from seeing a concert at a reasonable price.

That's exactly what I'm doing with this gig myself tbh and future events with crazy ticket prices, it's just not worth the money they're asking.

i think that’s it’s fair in scenario that Depeche mode gets money that historically would of went to a tout.

not a fan of dynamic pricing, realistically bands should just set aside those tickets as premium tickets and sell them for flat rate higher price depending on how better a view a ticket is.

if no one buys them at platinum prices then they go on sale at standard price.

should Depeche mode charge less for a show? Yeah probably, but touring a massive show with a crew of 30 plus people ain’t cheap.

Irish shows have additional costs over mainland Europe and Britain so we are always going to be on higher scale.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I didn't say Depeche Mode should necessarily charge less for a show though, or that Irish show should be the same price as European shows.

what I am saying is that they should come up with a price for their show and charge that price. Concert posters used to have the admission price on them, remember that?

'Dynamic pricing' is an incredibly transparent phrase for in essence, 'touting your own show'.

Do you think the likes of Ticketmaster sat around a boardroom thinking 'With touting now gone, lets come up with a fresh way to get acts more money'

No, they sat around a boardroom thinking 'we've now put the touts out of business, how can we maximise on the vacuum they left behind?'

pretty sure ticketmaster we’re co texting politicians on how best to stop 3rd parties Aka ticket touts from operating and the solution they offered naturally involves more money for ticketmaster/live nation. No altruistic part on their side.

for a small number of concerts/matches the demand will be greater than availability and currently a small portion of concert tickets are set aside for dynamic. It’s not widespread or whole sections.

for a 3arena show you are probably looking at less than 500 tickets out of 14,000 being dynamic approx 3% of tickets. It’s not end of the world portion

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

@donegal_man, Nobody should be ripped off for wanting to attend an event. Stop blaming the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Standing is €170.50

😀

• Registered Users Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think they copied whatever algorithm Ryanair uses :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HFC

The 95 euro standing are available on Ticketmaster again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Got a standing for 122 total today. Delighted to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ekkinak

Point Village Car Park seems to be sold out

what are other parking options around there?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

We managed one for that and then one for €100 two weeks ago. I've never actually seen them live, one of those bands I've constantly had on my 'must see' list but for one reason or another never went!

Advertisement