Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan Wootton

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're not. Since you're reduced to this, I'm considering this debunked and leaving it there.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

He's perfectly free to sue if the allegations are untrue but it seems pretty clear the investigation unearthed a lot. Also I'm finding it pretty funny watching somebody get on the defensive for Wooton being attacked when his career has amounted to bullying of public figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I see the GB news lawyers and Dan Wootton (or should I say Martin Branning?!? Alleged sex offender) (Who laughs and smirks throughout) Have apologised for the below from Laurence Fox (who they platform), I am sure a thorough investigation awaits...lol...what an absolute cesspit.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭maik3n

I think we might have another Glinner situation on our hands

While Fox's behaviour here was/is disgusting to say the least and is the primary issue, the unfortunate thing is this might claw back a bit of undeserved good will for Wooton since he has come out against it so quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

the unfortunate thing is this might claw back a bit of undeserved good will for Wooton since he has come out against it so quick.

Not sure about that. Fox is claiming that GB News knew what he was going to say beforehand, as he brought it up in his pre-interview that was a dry-run of the topics he'd cover in the broadcast. Wootton only condemned it after the fact - as the comments were being made, he was smirking and nodding. Fox earlier Tweeted that Wootton shouldn't be attacked for Fox's comments, but now he's clearly landing them in it with him.

• Advertisement

Hehe, believe you me. I hope that it's not the case.

I know Wooton is full of sh*t and he is not coming out against Fox for any virtuous reason. I'm just thinking that from a basic optics level though, people will just see a headline saying ''Wooton takes on Fox'' and it might defray even a little bit of the st1nk from the allegations surrounding him.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Good will for Wootton? Why? he nodded and laughed on air...his grovelling "apology" were nonsense, Fox showed the text messages he sent him lol. He is doing his best to take Wootton with him ha...good.

Given the accusations against Wootton no way should he be on air, his channel avoiding the topic is hypocrisy given their coverage of Schofield and Edwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,280 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

GB News pretending to have principles is truly pathetic. They hired these people because they're malevolent c*nts, not in spite of it.

The thing with being edgy is that you have to be coming up with new ways to do it or you get stale.

The sooner this tumour of a "channel" ends up in the hazardous waste bin, the better.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There seemed to be a lot of people tweeting about reporting it to Ofcom (which I did). I suspect it is because of the pending official backlash that he has been suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

GB news becoming woke and now are virtue signalling with this move. Haha. If they were consistent they'd stand by Fox. Wootton comes across as an disingenuous creep in that video. Just look at his leering and smirking face during the exchange with Fox.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭dalyboy

It is the perfect example of double standards within our utopian cancel culture.

All Fox’s comments went OTT for sure , why was there not as much as a peep out of the cancel cheerleaders when Ava Evans made these toxic feminist comments not too long ago ?

https://youtu.be/C0ARTJRYNZk?feature=shared

• Registered Users Posts: 23,242 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What is the point of GBNews if its starting to pretend to be in any way reputable?

The stations whole purpose of the channel was to hoover up the controversial rejects no one else would go near?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If they don't toe the line the could finish up like RT.

"If a broadcaster breaks the rules repeatedly, or in a way we consider to be serious, Ofcom has the legal powers to impose sanctions on them. Possible sanctions include a substantial fine, shortening or even taking away the channel or station's licence to broadcast. We publish all Sanctions Decisions on our website."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Someone made a very serious accusation against Wootton over on Twitter, if its true I don't understand why the cops aren't investigating the claims.

Not sure if I'm allowed to say what the accusation is but its similar to what Weinstein was convicted of.

Do you mean a new accusation or are you talking about the stories out there already?

GB News seem to have given up on their freedom of speech bonafides and are now indulging in some cancel culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well she got 400 messages all saying they'd shag her, so that cancels that out then.

Anyway, couldn't happen to 2 nicer guys.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Laurence Fox is a free speech parasite.

Fox pretends to be a free speech advocate. It's no different to Katie Hopkins or Milo Yiannopoulos. It's all an act, and the usual unthinking masses lap it up.

Being rude and crass and nasty doesn't make you a free speech advocate, it means you're a d***.

I never liked him. I have always found him fake and dishonest and actually, intellectually weak and quite stupid. There is no original thinking; he's just a loudmouth who got lucky from being platformed on Question Time.

Fox is a failed actor, a failed politician and - from this latest episode - a failed human being, too.

The sooner Fox goes away, the better for everyone. 

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Oh No

• Advertisement

Excellent news.

In my experience, so-called "free speech advocates" just want to be arseholes without consequences. Nice to see some at long last.

H. H. Asquith

Laurence Fox released a lengthy, essay-like tweet earlier today. The man is so self-absorbed up his own narcissism and sense of self-importance, it's utterly nauseating.

Fox concluded his essay with the following:

On a final note, we should all ask ourselves if this is a society we want to live in, where the cancel mob reign and your only chance at existence is total and utter capitulation to their whims.

Fox portrays the controversy in very grandiose language.

In reality, Fox - like Milo and Hopkins before him - think that being a nasty d*** is what free speech is all about.

Well, it isn't for me. Long may his downfall continue.

There's nothing to respect about Fox who is, after all, nothing more than a fake edgelord nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭foxsake

one could be precious and claim everybody who says things one doesn't like is an arsehole. in those circumstances you'd be right.

But in normal society your claim is incorrect and you should try meet more people to enhance your experience.

Fox is free to express his views and opinions, but it's the deeply unpleasant way in which he expresses them that lands him in trouble.

Would I want to have someone like Fox in my life "to enhance my experience"? Absolutely not.

I'd want nasty, unpleasant people like that as far away from me as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Tis an odd day when I find myself in full agreement with you, @[Deleted User] yet here we are

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Saying my claim is incorrect does not make it so.

If you think that people like Fox enhance one's life, well, that's your opinion I suppose.

I'd be keen to hear some of these alleged benefits but I've been here long enough not to expect any.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

I'm sure the woman the two of them were total creeps about was a commentator panellist on the Piers Morgan show yesterday, she mentioned she had been contacted, texted by Dan W that evening apologising for what had happened, but she hadn't responded at the time to him, but to find yesterday morning, it felt like a false apology, or that she felt that way.

IMHO , as unpleasant as Laurence is, Dan is just another level of yuk - an enabler in a position of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Just as a matter of interest, are there any women here (or even men; let's be inclusive) who would consider shagging Laurence Fox?

There's no accounting for taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Not sure there's anyone here but Billy Piper did, at least twice, which is still really odd that she saw something in him, maybe he wasn't always the way he is now.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement