Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What items are consistently vastly overpriced in Ireland compared to UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Toiletries especially dove brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Talk about poor!

Ireland is expensive but has poor of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Aspirin and paracetamol. Tesco and Superdrug do 'own brand' for pennies.... eg 38 pence for 16?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭tjhook

Yeah, I'm probably the 6th person to say it, but toiletries.

Nivea roll-on anti-perspirant for men.

£1.45 on tesco.com, €3.50 in tesco.ie.

They're both normal prices, not special offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Lots of obvious ones

Toiletries

Chocolate bars

Biscuits

Cleaning products

Sauces

Fizzy drinks

Wine Beer and spirits

I could go on.. . You just need to know your prices

Some things can be on offer either North or South and that can make a big difference

One item that I've noticed is Paint

Just an example all on 3 for 2 offer

B&Q North £78 € 91

B&Q DUBLIN 1€138

Woodies €160

Imagine painting a whole house!

Dublin:

Woodies

Here's another quick example with Tesco

Mr Kipling Cherry Bakewell

£1.99 up North but a club card price of £1.50 €1.75

Here €4.29

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭pat_sconce

In Germany people tend to know the prices in several stores of most of their regular items and will shop in several stores to get the same price.

I lived there for a few years and got into the same habit.

Far too many Irish people blindly follow a single store and they pay for it.

When you get used to it, you can save 20%++ on groceries especially if you open yourself to switching brands / using own brands.

As for UK comparisons, generally the UK is more expensive on overall shop especially meat, dairy and fresh foods.

Just another example of Tesco price gouging Irish customers

£6 up North €7

€16 down here

Some difference

• Registered Users Posts: 24,810 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was going to post the exact same… I buy those all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I always go to the hairdressers down the North, last time got it done in Dublin it was over 370 euro😭.can get the same in Enniskillen for approx 100/110 sterling.

always buy toiletries and drugs down the North too, no comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭OKDublin

Pret A Manager, M&S Food and Mint Velvet (amongst others) for clothes - all about 30% more in Republic than London.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭CrazyEric

😲 What in the name of Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the little Donkey are you getting done for €370?? A transplant!! That's 2 years of haircuts for me, Admittedly I am old and there isn't that much to cut anymore, more a case of moving the strands to a better position.

I know! It's crazy. Highlights, roots, cut and blow dry. I nearly died 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You don't need to go North to get that done for much less.

Well unfortunately I kinda do. That's a very good saloon in Enniskillen with top stylists, one third of the price of Dublin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And Ireland's GDP per capita is at least twice that of the UK. You can't live in an expensive economy had have cheap stuff, that does not exist in any part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Which man pays that fir shower gel ? Its worthless , you can get it for 80c in aldi, lidl etc. That's all its worth...

It was shocking when the price was €4.29 in Tesco Ireland.

I just checked today.

Still £1.50 clubcard price up North

Price on Tesco.ie:

€5.55 Yes... €5.55

3.17 times the price up North

someone in Tesco must be having a laugh

I have to apologise to Tesco

SUPERVALU are selling them for a mouth watering € 5.75

They must be wetting themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Randycove

So because Apple and Google etc divert all their profits through Ireland to avoid paying taxes and grossly distort our GDP, we can’t buy paracetamol for the equivalent of £0.60 a packet?

Post edited by Randycove on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

1£ in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭JVince

Ireland has a different medical regulatory regime that means items like basic paracetamol are not available at cheap prices.

But the Brits would absolutely love to have all the prescription medicines for the family guaranteed not to cost more than €80 a month.

Interesting that there's little difference in price of brand name painkillers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Do they not have a similar drugs payment scheme in England?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭GSBellew

What is consistently overpriced in Ireland v the UK?

Average Wage Ireland 2024 €45,000 v £ 34,900 So Labour is overpriced in Ireland v the UK

Unemployment Benefit € 232 v £ 90.50 So unemployed people are overpriced in Ireland v the UK

Pension Non Contributory € 266 - € 276 v £ 218.15 So non contributing pensioners are overpriced in Ireland v the UK

Pension Contributory. € 277.30 v £ 221.20. So Contributing pensioners are overpriced in Ireland v the UK

My takes, higher wages will equal higher costs to the employer which subsequently increases prices to the end consumer.

Unemployed people do a lot better here than the UK

Pensioners are only marginally better off than in the UK, considering the wage differential they are probably comparatively worse off.

Contributory pensioners in both are ripped off, there is no real return on the PRSI / social security payments v's those who have not paid in.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Its long been a thing with Supervalue and the others are similar. For example they change their offers every 3 weeks, like clockwork.

If say as above something is normally €13.99 but it goes on "offer" for a week at €7, it's real price is about €7.

Theres no real offers anymore unless they genuinely are stuck with something and need rid, stuff coming up on date for example.

The idea is you see at €13.99 and think ah **** off will you. But when you see it at €7? You've lads buying 2/3/4 at a time stocking up. They are notorious with deodorants etc. It'll be on €3 for small one but then jumps to something ridiculous like €7.50 once the 3 week period is over.

Just look lately they were well able to seel 4 packs of Fanta cans for €2.50 with the real rewards, they are absolute gougers.

Id love to see the actual research and reasoning behind why they do this. Like do they actually sell more in the offer period Vs just keeping things at the realistic rate.

Its only the last few months Musgrave's are giving gen proper offers, I'd love to see behind the scenes cause them and others must be hurting someways or you wouldn't see it. Musgraves especially seem to be almost trying to price themselves out of the market. I've seen 25% increases on their own brand baby spuds in only the last couple weeks. Went from €1.05 maybe a year to 18 months ago, then €1.10, €1.15 and to €1.20 and has jumped now to €1.49 in the last few weeks. Rinse and repeat for a lot of the own brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Fish and chips.

Got charged 30 euro for two fish and chips from a chip van in south Kerry last week, batter was soggy and saturated in oil.

I think it was £32 I paid in the UK a couple of months ago for 4 top quality fresh fish and chips, huge portions with light crispy batter.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Emblematic

A better comparison would be the price of things relative to average or median disposable income per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭JVince

You saw that on thick tok and pretend you experienced it.

I know the exact "van" that it was about - tell me what colour it was if you were really there?

Should be easy as it's quite striking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Small Credit Card sized PCs like the Raspberry Pi computers and associated accessories like power supply and keyboared mouse are a step more expensive here in Ireland. We're a captive audience and the market is too small.

Advertisement