Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What items are consistently vastly overpriced in Ireland compared to UK

Options
  • 12-07-2023 7:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I have a couple of items that I buy now and again, that occasionally drop drastically in price in Ireland compared to their usual price. On checking the drop is usually only to the same price as their normal RRP in the UK.

Examples:

Douwe Egberts Coffee - Supervalu / Dunnes / Tesco normally have this for €13.99. The normal price in the UK (Asda) is about £6.75. Dunnes drop the price every month or two for about a week to €7 (it's €7 now). Still overpriced in my mind but the missus likes it. So I stock up whenever the price drops. And use the €5 off €25 or €10 off €50 to get another 20% off.

Results for “douwe” - Tesco Groceries

Haagen Daaz Ice Cream - Supervalu / Dunnes / Tesco normally have this for about €7. The normal price in the UK (Asda) is about £4. The shops here drop the price every so often to about €4.

I was wondering if there are any other items that have huge jumps like that. It seems like they have some type of collusion as the 3 chains are similar at the much higher prices while just north of the border, Tesco / Asda seem to have them at the much cheaper prices consistently. We go north every couple of months so I'm trying to identify items that make it really worthwhile. Best bang for buck type of stuff. I'm not bothered stocking up to save 1%. I'll stock up if it saves 30%

E.g. Dunnes dropped their price on Douwe Egberts yesterday. We were out of stock at home and I can't justify paying €14 for a jar of coffee so it was on the list for our next trip north. Don't need to now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,402 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Well everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Cars would be the big thing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

For whatever reason toiletries seem to be outrageously expensive in Ireland compared to the UK.

For example, Dove mens shower gel 400ml is priced at £3 at Tesco (2.50 in many other places), at todays fx rate that's €3.50. But it's €6.50 in Ireland. Not sure how they can justify such a differential. There's many examples where products are 100%+ more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Sudocrem, formerly made in Co. Dublin.

400g tub = 11.89, or 10.00 Clubcard price

6.50 GBP, which is 7.65 euro.

Made in Ireland, yet 55% dearer here.

Paracetamol, and other OTC medicines

• Advertisement

Pint of beer in central Manchester = 2.90 GBP in July 2022, = 3.40 euro

Pint in central Dublin = 5.50-7.00?

OK, VAT in the UK is 20% versus 23% here.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

That's a good suggestion. I checked a couple of the items we buy. About 30% cheaper at least in the north for what we currently buy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When you compare Ireland (145k), one of the top three economies ranked by GDP to the UK (56k), you should not be in the slightest bit surprised that things are more expensive. No matter what arguments you advance against the measurement of GDP, expecting one that is almost a three times greater than the other to have a similar cost base is totally unrealistic. Even the Big Mac index puts Ireland way ahead of the UK.

The UK has decided to become a low cost producer on the edge of Europe competing with other third countries on a cost basis, where as Ireland is a high value added economy and a member of a major trading group. Comparisons will be come more and more unrealistic over time.

Yeah. Thanks for that. Not really the point of the thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Couriers are becoming more expensive starting at the smallest item: € 6.99 for shipping a waterproof shell for my GoPro from continent to my address. On the merchants website the courier was stated as An Post but Fastway are the sub contractors :p

• Advertisement

There is an untapped market for massive warehouses on the border, to ship non-food/drink products south to large population centres. No reason why ParcelMotel or their ilk cannot restart, is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I'd suspect any large operation doing that would soon attract the attention of Customs. The founders of ParcelMotel have opened in Jonesborough (Oohpod) with the same style of operation, but don't ship to Ireland as goods would then be liable for VAT & Duty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Power tools

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Toiletries are so often on "special offer" that I think they just make up the massive price to make people think that they are getting a bargain when on special offer. I just stock up when they are on special offer normal price

No, because NI is in EU customs area. Only issue I see is VAT

I seen a few companies named on bargain alerts that are doing that service

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The reason they can't restart is that it would be smuggling. You are still buying from the UK, not the NI special area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Food and drink up north in England are a fraction of the costs here.

my local Italian now here the cheapest pasta dish is 20.50. North Dublin suburb….

the one I go to in Manchester….did a conversation, same dish converts to 15.09

the Manchester restaurant is a significantly more modern, bright, less cramped and more comfortable eating experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭babaracus

Antihistamine tablets are less than £1 a 30 pack in the UK, usually €9 or thereabouts for the same amount here.

indian food from a restaurant.

i was back home in London a few weeks ago, so met a mate for a curry.

chicken jalfrezi

Garlic & peshwari naan

4 popadoms and dips

Pilau rice

Sag aloo

29 quid for the lot so just over €30, it’s usually €20 just for a main here!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Business Software in an Irish Context - We're English speakers who use the Euro currency and as such are now more a minority language in the context of the EU.

Games downloaded from Steam. Poorer value than ever. The Irish Goon operation of Steam blindly follow the Command of their UK Steam Overlords and blindly send out emails marketing crap for the Gollum game, which the software developer Daedalus actually apologized for.

It actually is, because you are trying to compare apples and oranges. The only difference between comparing Irish prices to the UK and Cuba is that we have the same language. Beyond that it's apples and oranges.

I'd expect that at this stage a very large portion of European business that is non client/customer facing is written in English. It is simply cheaper to write and support software in English than in multiple languages. And at this stage most people under say 40 can speak sufficient English to be able to operate their business software.

The only problem with that is that both the EU inspectors and Irish customs officers have brains....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

But what is the point then? You aren't comparing like for like. What about what's overpriced in the UK compared to Namibia, or overpriced in the US compared to Ireland?

And if you go to any other poor country, you'll find the same thing - Southern Italy, Portugal, Greece, parts of Eastern Europe and so on. If you go to poor countries you will get low prices, there is nothing new in that. The UK has decided to become a third country competing with the various low cost economies of Asia etc on a cost basis, to do that they are going to have to reduce their costs dramatically and over time that gap will grow. Give it 10 or 15 years and everyone in the EU view the UK as a cheap place to go for holiday break or buy cheap goods with a similar quality to those you buy today from places like China.

• Advertisement

Well it's in the thread title and the first post. Plus I can't drive to Namibia or the US in 60 minutes so not really great for grabbing some cheaper goods.

E.g.

"We go north every couple of months so I'm trying to identify items that make it really worthwhile. Best bang for buck type of stuff. I'm not bothered stocking up to save 1%. I'll stock up if it saves 30%"

Advertisement