Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jean Kleyn N/IQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

I love that he joked that he hoped Scotland would win with the sort of casual abandon of a man who has never read the comments section of the42.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Hank the DJ

He's going to be playing in an RWC final, guess he's happy enough with his choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Number thirteen, unlucky for some.

As far as I can see, the twelve locks are: Ryan, Hendo, Beirne, Baird, McCarthy, Treadwell, Molony (in squad but uncapped), Dillane, Toner, Whycherley, Roux and Prendergast as a stretch (unless there's another more obvious lock that I'm missing).

Presumably the Emerging Ireland lads do not count unless they were subsequently capped at senior level

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Looking forward to JK and RG togging out for Munster this season. Serious combo to have in the squad!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Congratulations to Jean.

Munster fans knew he was world class all along. Would have preferred him to be lifting the world cup in a different shade of green but cest la vie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Congratulations to him - I'm sure winning it with his home country is beyond his wildest dreams and, no matter how you feel, for him it must be so much sweeter to lift it with them than in an Irish jersey.

Not sure what he did during the WC to prove he is world class though. Being a sometimes used cog in a very successful world cup winning squad does nothing to change how most would see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Thats a very wide and ridiculous definition of world class and wrong IMO

World Class is for me one of the best in the world as in top 2/3 in position. winning a world cup doesnt make you that. Kleyn is a good player but world class. not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

So if Jordie Barrett got that kick, then Kleyn wouldn't be a world class? That's how it works?

Ok

• Advertisement

Weirdest opinion I've seen on what a world class player is.

Maybe I could potentially see some logic if the player was core piece of a world cup winning side, starting and starring in every game, but not this scenario with a single selection on the bench during knockouts - with a total of 22 minutes during those games.

We can be happy for Kleyn without blowing smoke up his arse.

I didn't see him getting even this much game time, I however didn't see them going for a 7-1. It all turned out great for Kleyn, much better than it would have if some here had gotten their wish and Farrell had given him a cap to keep him tied to Ireland.

Will be interesting how it looks in a few years for him with what happens when his contract comes around for renewal, given the quality of young Irish locks coming through. Can they justify the cost and him blocking a pathway for game time? Given them winning the WC I cant see him regretting his choice, no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

World class is top 2/3 in their position?

I wonder how many there are in ireland. I’d say… Keenan and Porter are the only certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Jean Kleyn had a standout performance for Munster last season. He was unquestionably one of the players of the tournament in the URC competition

Jean was in the peak form of his playing career. That he wasn't in the extended 45 Irish squad on merit was a joke. I guess he has the last laugh now! With a World cup winning medal !

RG Snyman came off the bench a few minutes before Kleyn. He also came off the bench when he won his last RWC gold medal. Most people would call Snyman a world class lock

Pretty much any club in the world would kill to have Kleyn on their team. Including Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Leinster wouldn't. La Rochelle wouldn't. Lol. Kleyn is a good player. He's 4th on the depth chart for South Africs. I'd murder somebody for Ethzebeth.

Kleyn would probably have been a significant improvement on Jenkins. Although i’m pretty low on Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,982 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The form Kleyn reached in the 22/23 season would have seen Leinster win this year's Heineken Cup for sure.

Hopefully he keeps it going this year though, and contributes to winning one for Munster 😎.

💯 This

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I actually dont believe most would call Snyman a world class lock right now by the normal definition - one of the top 2 or 3 in their position in the world. Now when he is fully fit and in form he has the ceiling to be in the conversation, unlike Kleyn. Even during this tournament Snyman came off the bench in the QF and SF, unlike Kleyn.

I also wouldn't kill to have Kleyn on the Leinster team. Looking forward, I'm not sure he makes the starting team by the end of the season if McCarthy kicks on, which is similar to Munster where does he even make the starting team this season with everyone healthy and in form?

Kleyn would definitely be an upgrade on the likes of Jenkins but that is a laughably low bar to meet for a 'world class' player. There are probably 10+ locks outside of Leinster who I'd 'kill for' before even thinking about Kleyn - that simply doesn't make a world class player.

Again, I don't know why you cant be just happy for Kleyn, rather than embarrassingly trying to make him out to be what he isnt. He is a world cup champion but a good bit away from world class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

No prop can be considered world class if they are simply unable to scrummage legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Doris, Ringrose and Aki were all named in the World Rugby Mens team of the year. I'd put them on the world class list as well.

Why does it always have to descend to bitterness?

Farrell was extremely kind to Kleyn by not bringing him into the extended squad and giving him another cap even though he wasnt in his plans, like some here were calling for.

"World-class. The term 'world-class' is defined by the Oxford English Dictionary in a competitive context as something 'that is of a quality or standard regarded as outstanding throughout the world; comparable to or able to compete with the best in the world'."

I’ll believe Leinster will start McCarthy in big games when it happens honestly. If anything they are more conservative selectors than Farrell. I’d expect Kleyn to start ahead of him at least this year.

And Kleyn doesn't fit that description unless you're being so broad to make the term completely useless.

How many players at each position do you believe can be seen as world class at a given point of time?

Pretty much agree with that. I caveated my statement with a presumption McCarthy kicks on and even then I wasn't sure. Given how McCarthy lost a key part of last season and played limited top tier rugby, his performances since joining the Irish squad were very encouraging. Feel Nienaber should hopefully do great things for him also.

Will also be interesting to see how Kleyn performs this season, was last year a peak and he potentially drop off or can he go higher? He was an ever present last year in the squad, due to injuries and international call ups for others - does potentially getting less game time benefit or hurt his form?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ruaidhrí O'Connor on Second Captains: "I thought [Jean Kleyn] probably should have made it into this RWC squad for Ireland"

What?!

Thats world class ditch hurling there from ROC

He might have considered not saying the opposite when he was still Irish qualified

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Advertisement