Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today’s movies are just crap, help me delve into some golden oldies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Das Boot , Wolfgang Petersen's 1981 German WW2 U Boat epic, the best Submarine movie ever

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm gonna go the complete opposite to everyone else and recommend some modern films which are (imo) good:

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Forgotten Battle

Extraction 1 & 2: Yeah, not amazing films, but they do what they do pretty good. 2 gives The Raid series a run for it's money with that opening "scene".

Oh... thought I'd have more... Yeah, you're right, not many great films these days. I think too many are trying too hard and all end up coming across as not genuine, or they spend too long on the feels/emotion (looking at the recent superhero films here, I want superheroes doing superhero stuff, not reminding me of humanity).

That is a great movie, I only watched it for the first time a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

John Houston's "The Misfits" is a fantastic black and white film, with wonderful perfomances from all the cast ( incl. Eli Wallach, Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe, Montgomery Clift etc). Another favorite of mine is "Being There", starring Peter Sellers in his last film. "Badlands", starring Sissy Spacek and Martin Sheen is one I keep returning to. I recently rewatched "The adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" and it's great fun. Plenty of great foreign language films out there too, check out the work of Pedro Almodovar for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

A few more old WW2 movies worth checking out

Ice Cold in Alex 1958

The Train 1964

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Star Trek The Motion Picture Directors Edition. It is a masterpiece and epic however if you want more action then Star Trek The Wrath of Khan is for you.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

The French Connection

Chinatown

Taxi Driver

The Shining

Full Metal Jacket

Alien and Aliens has been mentioned already but also some good sci-fi:

Event Horizon - under rated sci - fi / horror

Dredd (NOT the hideous Sylvester Stallone Judge Dredd but the one with Karl Urban as Dredd)

The Thing - there are multiple verions of this but the one directed by John Carpenter is a masterpiece of horror.

Westerns: The Outlaw Josey Wales

Pale Rider

Unforgiven

Appaloosa (very underated - cracking film with Ed Harris, Viggo Mortensen and Renee Zellweger)

The Long Riders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

More recent ones that are very good -

Hell or High Water - essentially a modern day western cops and robbers. Jeff Bridges and Chris Pine

Prisoners - Hugh JackMan and Paul Dano. mystery/horror

All the money in the world - the Getty Kidnapping

Knives out - murder mystery

Still good movies being made but not nearly as many as before. It’s all big budget now.

A fee modern classics, IMO

Unforgiven

Crimson Tide

Office Space

Pure mindless entertainment- Unstoppable- Denzel and a runaway train.

Good video essay on the demise of mid-budget movies in the last 15 years.

Cui bono?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The Outlaw Josey Wales

Silence of the Lambs

Castaway

Platoon

Mississippi Burning

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hard to believe 'No Country' is 16 years old. Great film.

I do try and advocate for good modern pictures - like 'Inception' for instance.

But I watched 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner' earlier this evening with Spencer Tracy and Sidney Poitier and I'd forgotten what an absolutely superb movie it is.

To put in context, Tracy lost out on the Oscar that year to Rod Steiger for 'In The Heat of The Night'

Also in the Category; Paul Newman in 'Cool Hand Luke', Dustin Hoffman for 'The Graduate' and Warren Beatty for 'Bonnie and Clyde'

Beat that competition with a stick.....

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

12 Angry Men

A Clockwork Orange

All the presidents men

Cinema Paradiso

The wicker man (original)

Dead Calm

That's all I can think of for now ..

Edit: My cousin Vinny

Copland

The deer hunter...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

And Inception is 13 years old, if you can believe that! Also Insomnia by Mr. Nolan. Robin Williams playing against type and an aging cop played by Pacino.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Flight of the Navigator

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Nearly all the recommendations so far are top notch and I'd have gone for them myself but I'll try to avoid repeating

The thing (1982 John carpenters original)

The producers (again original do not I repeat do not go near the remake)

The blues brothers (again original)

Don't know if unforgiven has been mentioned but it you want a slightly newer western with a more realistic take (1980s I think) then we'll worth ...but any of the Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns top notch too...but I think they've been mentioned ... fistful of dynamite entertaining ...likewise once upon a time in the West

I know you don't want superhero movies but if you haven't watched the original matrix...you should...likewise the dark Knight...

Then there is memento (Nolan too)

Pitch black (2000) I thought this was excellent but it did spawn a legacy of shocking shite but again original well worth watching

Existenz....cronenberg around 00s too...I quite liked it

A bit of brainless action that may have been forgotten and kind of went under the radar but not bad by any means imo....shooter.. (mark wahlberg)...its shite but not bad 07

Then if you like brainless but enjoyable action/"drama" there's the holy trinity of

Point Break (original ..again don't go near the shite they followed it with)

Top Gun...I'll have to take issue with anyone disliking top gun....yes its **** but its also magnificent at the same time and not in a schrodingers film sort of way ...when you take it out of the box it's still good....

Days of thunder (top gun on wheels)

Ah there's so much more, I'll be back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

How has nobody mentioned 'The Sting" yet?

I will always watch it when its on....even if its 1am!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

This is a good thread , great recommendations.

Id like to mention the Onion Field, Munich , Das Boot and the Deerhunter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Extraction 1 and 2 are just a pile of shooting. And not very realistic stuff at that. They are worth watching if you are into that but great movies they ain't.

One particular scene in one of those movies has the main hero taking shelter from gunfire behind a ladder. A ladder. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ah lad. I'd have guessed Inception was no more than 5 years old. Fcuk I'm getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I mean, yeah, they're brainless popcorn movies. But still better than John Wick since 2... is it 2 holds the record for the most shotgun rounds fired from a Benelli semi-auto shotgun before having to reload? And I may have been under the influence at the time, which probably enhanced it a bit. And only recently got an OLED so maybe that helped a bit. But for brainless popcorn films, they're pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Sleepers

American History X

Doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Donnie Darko

Fargo

The usual suspects

LA Confidential

Gladiator was a cracking film

I'll probably get lynched but I enjoyed the original independence day

And speaking of will Smith

Enemy of the state....dunno if it has aged well but an enjoyable film at the time

Vertigo

North by northwest

Singin in the rain...I normally hate singing dancing shite but you can't deny the entertainment/talent/skill

Silence of the lambs

Fight club

And speaking of Brad Pitt...seven

Die hard

Predator

Heat

Goodfellas

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Oh brilliant movie. Anything with Donald Sutherland. Don't Look Now is another great one of his, a horror.

Watched the The Nuremberg Trials the other day with Spencer Tracy and Montgomery Clift. Captain Kirk is in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

there are great films but the aforementioned Once Upon a Time In The West is maybe the best film I’ve ever seen.

Day Of The Jackal, 12 Angry Men, North by Northwest are all gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Judgement Night 🙂

Apocalypto 😬

The Field 😊

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tora! Tora! Tora! https://archive.org/details/1970-tora-tora-tora The Japanese bits were done by the Japanese different style , different music.

Excalibur https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082348/

In addition to The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (when watching remember the characters can't see what's just off the screen) check out For A Few Dollars more, great music.

Also The Good the Bad the Weird https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0901487/ it's a cowboy movie with Koreans vs Japanese in China.

Ong Bak no CGI , no wires

The Ladykillers (review has spoilers, read it if re-watching) my favourite Ealing Comedy.

Another fan of the Day of the Jackal, Cyril Cusack's does a good bit part in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭accensi0n

The Matrix

Cool Hand Luke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

Heat is a great shout.

I was entranced by Apocalypto the first time I watched it.

Also, most Woody Allen.

The Green Mile

Post edited by newmember2 on

• Advertisement

Hell or High Water is from 2016, but is a brilliant movie if you haven't watched it.

Advertisement