Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Napoleon - Apple TV+ - Ridley Scott & Joaquin Phoenix

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yeah.

If it feels authentic enough, it'll be fine by me. I ultimately go to the cinema to be entertained. I've Andrew Roberts' biography of the man for when I want to properly learn about one of the most remarkable lives in history.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Interesting the French critics are calling it pro British and anti French. Hard to know how accurate that statement will be given Napoleon was a tyrant and a bit of a warmonger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a matter of perspective. Either Napoleon or Subutai would claim the mantle of history's greatest general. Napoleon left reforms some of which remain in place today and essentially dominated the continent until his disastrous Russian campaign. Had he accepted peace at his zentih, who knows what could have been. Contiental Europe still retains much of his reforms while the US, the UK and the former British Empire retain a legal tradition founded on English Common Law.

To put it bluntly, very few people who changed anything weren't horrible. George Washington owned slaves for instance.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

As much as I like Vanessa Kirby, I hope they don't go too far down the angle of her dominating him as implied by the trailer.

H. H. Asquith

I think in real life though Napoleon did act a bit of a fool in his love for Josephine. I seem to recall that she had a number of affairs when they were together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭nachouser

I'm fine with the odd historical inaccuracy, as long as the film includes the hand to hand fight at the Colosseum between Napoleon and Wellington. Only then will I be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ridley truly is one ornery fella; not sure just slamming The French as self loathing will go down entirely well but hey; it's a choice.

And a biographer of Napoleon, Patrice Gueniffey in Le Point magazine, attacked the film as a "very anti-French and very pro-British" rewrite of history.

"The French don't even like themselves" Scott retorts. "The audience that I showed it to in Paris, they loved it."

The Musée de l'Armée is one of my all time favourite museums. They've uploaded a video where they critique the film. I spent a whole day there and left wanting to go back. They've got Napoleon's Sword of Austerlitz and the legend himself is buried there.

I can't see myself paying to watch it at the BFI. I was so looking forward to this but I think a walk to Cineworld will suffice.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

he was 5'7 , I wonder how much English propaganda we have absorbed about him because we are in the Anglo sphere?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I was in Spain a few years ago and they definitely didn't have anything good to say about Napoleon either. Probably affected the British and Spanish more than anyone else, with perhaps the Polish having a soft spot for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Ahead of his time. Tried to unify Europe long before the EU brought in great reforms. Took the British and the Germans (Prussia) to bring him dowm.

he certainly had unintended consequences, it was the first army to have mass conscription , and it motivated the Germans to move beyond their medieval ways of organising for war. No Napoleon and there may not have been a WW1 or WW2

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I think the French revolution inspir3d the introduced of conscription rather than Napoleon himself. Hitler definitely was inspired by Napoleon, even was respectful at his tomb. I think Napoleon definitely showed even with more modern weaponry with a professional army you could still successfully invade alot of Europe. I hope Ridley doesn't depict him as a total fool.

I'd be inclined to wait for the full movie as they might leave a lot of the political exposition out of it

Walked straight into kutsovo's trap.

He was a clown with a chip on his shoulder.

Took more than one pan-European coalition. If he hadn't made his ill-fated march to Moscow, who knows how things might have turned out.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,177 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Its more than just that. The propaganda version stuck because the Napoleon complex reads as a much better story. We want it to be true.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Legacies tend to get muddied

Regardless of his physical height while smaller than the average male. His actions are that of someone with small man syndrome.

When your the cause of the deaths of millions of people mostly young for your own personal glory.

People often assign "tactical brilliance" to a war won. It's like anything else. There was a huge amount of people that don't get a single line wrote about them that would have had a huge impact on tactical decisions. Historians are often lazy and the general public more so. So it's kept simple and focused on the one little jumped up runt of a man so he claims all the plaudits.

His thirst for his own personal ambition was his downfall and led to his eventual demise.

The amount of human suffering he caused is beyond comprehension.

Anyone that thinks such a person is a genius or a hero would want to have a long hard look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

so has anyone seen the film yet?

one review I saw, out of the cinema was ,"and this happened, then this happened, then this happened....." but looks good

This is looking like another Scott botch job. I'll suspend judgement until I see it but I'm feeling more and more pessimistic.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

this is a film, not a historical documentary !!

why do people have difficulty separating the two ?

I will happily watch the film, but have feck all interest in a historical documentary on Napoleon 

That's a shame. He's one of the most successful and fascinating people to ever have existed.

As for the historical side of the film, I think expecting authenticity is fair while expecting accuracy beyond a certain point is a bit naive. A inconsistencies in the battle of Austerlitz is one thing, having Napoleon fight Hitler or something stupid like that would be immersion-breaking.

Braveheart and Michael Collins are good examples. It doesn't matter that the details of Harry Boland's death are wrong or that Ned Broy was never found out by Dublin Castle. The film feels authentic and that's enough. Braveheart, by contrast, would only be rendered slightly less realistic by the presence of dragons and wizards. There's a limit is what I'm trying to say.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Same as yourself. All I know about Napoleon is what I learned in school and what I might have picked up over the years from the media. I am looking forward to watching this for entertainment, not to tear it apart on account of inaccuracies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yet by all accounts I got the impression around the time of release that the Scots liked the movie? Though perhaps over time that has melted away after the white heat of hype subsided.

I wonder how Kubrick's famed biopic that never was, had planned to tackle Napoleon; it is the problem with biopics in the first place though. It's very difficult to condense a person's life into a 2, 3 hour runtime without making some judicious leaps, omissions or conjectures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH, everything I've seen about this film has just made me commit to clearing a block over Christmas to finally watch the Abel Gance 1927 Napoleon that I've been putting off for a few years (Blu-Ray is just sitting there waiting to be watching).

• Advertisement

I've tried & tried, but watching Silent Movies is just a step too far. The theatricality, the utter lack of even archaic techniques, the distracting make-up often used by cast, and yeah - the silence. Tried a few Buster Keatons after the Blank Cheque podcast spoke of him a few months back and nope'd out of them quick enough.

It's like reading Chaucer as a hobby; sure it has some historical importance but as an act of "enjoyment", almost insurmountable and alien in places such are the differences from anything tangential to a modern appetite

Advertisement