Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Napoleon - Apple TV+ - Ridley Scott & Joaquin Phoenix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Will be interesting to see if he is portrayed as the evil parody from British history or the anti church and class system hero.

Maybe they ignore both and just concentrate on the army general.

Another Ridley Scott movie has a quote that fits him well.

"How will the world speak my name in years to come? Will I be known as the philosopher? The warrior? The tyrant...? Or will I be the emperor who gave Rome back her true self?"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

Looking forward to seeing this. I presume there won't be any historical inaccuracies in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

There's also historians that counter that viewpoint. We can point to plenty of basic tactical/strategical blunders to suggest otherwise.

But to answer the question. No he's no hero of mine. Surely on the basis of "tactical genius". If that's the yardstick kutozov must be the real genius no ? :)

Anyway I fear we're going to pull this thread off in a direction it doesn't need to go. My fault for starting it and don't particularly want to be attacked by mods any further on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Its worth watching the 1970 film Waterloo, its up on Youtube

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another trailer out for this; certainly appears to be swinging for an epic scope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

Looking forward to this. Hopefully 'Le Petit Homme Rouge' makes some sort of appearance in it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 27,905 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To whet the appetite Id recommend this from Ridley Scott also set in Napoleonic period

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yep every detail verified, just like Gladiator😝

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Looking forward to this.

https://youtu.be/LIsfMO5Jd_w

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Steviemak7

Looks great

• Advertisement

seem to be reviewed positively, im not screaming to see it in the cinema though , it will be on Apple around Feb 24

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Threads merged

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This looks like it might be worth another trip to the BFI IMAX.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Funny enough it's a rare film that jumps out to me as not looking particularly cinematic. It has an ugly digital sheen to it in the trailers I've seen in cinema and online. Maybe that's just a trailer grading issue, but it's stood out quite significantly.

Early reviews are fairly all over the shop - leaning positive but a lot of very mixed to negative reviews out there too. Not a big fan of modern Ridley Scott films as they tend to feel a bit tossed off even at mega-budget level, but will get around to seeing this at some point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Also worth noting: the theatrical version is actually significantly shortened, and Scott is promising a 'director's cut' that's 4 hours long for its Apple TV release down the line. Suggests to me the theatrical cut is maybe worth skipping on the big screen - and I never skip the big screen 😅

Seems quite a bit is missing going by Indiewire's review:

"Even if Scott hadn’t already promised a director’s cut of the movie, and even if the trailers hadn’t teased epic “Master and Commander”-worthy naval battles that are nowhere to be found in the theatrical version, it would still feel as if large and necessary chunks of “Napoleon” were missing at its current length."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can't say that I noticed. Maybe I got distracted by the cannons and horses.

That's depressing. BFI's expensive as well. Might be worth just chancing Cineworld with the phone people.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The trailers came across as made for TV allbeit high quality , but primed maybe knowing that its made by Apple TV , not good branding? I assumed its was a limited release to allow it to qualify for Oscars?. Watching a few military history reviews of it , a purest wouldnt be too happy with it but if its entertaining , can live with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

This isn't like what Netflix do with their one-week releases to ensure their films are eligible for certain awards. Apple, for now at least, is fully invested in full cinematic releases for their movies, which will then be exclusive to Apple+. Amazon did similar this year for Creed 3 and Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Waterloo from his memoirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Looks good, Guardian gave it a 5 star review. My only gripe is that I think it uses modern music, Radiohead etc., in the soundtrack. Personal bugbear of mine in period pieces, I couldn't watch peaky blinders once the electric guitars started playing in the soundtrack! So hopefully it doesn't ruin the film for me.

• Advertisement

this is a decent reaction to the trailer, points out the historical and military differences , at the end of the day you dont get your history from Shakespeare so if it makes people more interested in history, not a bad thing

Reaction videos are the most meaningless, insipid content there is. If the thing is reasonably authentic, that'll be good enough.

H. H. Asquith

Take a movie like Michael Collins or Braveheart, you wouldnt want to just leave it at that, which is what you are implying someone should do

I didn't imply anything of the sort so stop with the lies, please. I just commented on the video you just dumped here. Reaction videos are the laziest content to make and they're tantamount to stealing IMO.

Braveheart is all but fantasy, Michael Collins is far from the worst historical film ever made despite the abundance of Julia Roberts.

H. H. Asquith

if the person making the video clearly knows more about the subject than I do or you, then its all good, Im more knowledgeable for seeing it, that is a positive, so your blanket statement doesnt really add anything

I can honestly say that I've never learned anything from anyone who dumps videos and follows up with lies and snarky comments.

We're done here.

H. H. Asquith

youre funny, in your case I forbid you to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The thumbnail alone guarantees I won’t watch it.

A Hollywood movie is taking liberties with history or creative interpretations of historical personalities? My god this has never happened before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Ridley Scott had mangled history in a lot of his movies but this won't prevent me from watching this movie. Its just good to watch a historic epic in the cinema. Scott does seem particularly obnoxious in interviews when asked about the historical accuracy though.

Advertisement