Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Napoleon - Apple TV+ - Ridley Scott & Joaquin Phoenix

Options
  • 10-07-2023 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭

Directed by Ridley Scott from a screenplay by David Scarpa, “Napoleon” stars Joaquin Phoenix as the French emperor and military leader. The film is an original and personal look at Napoleon’s origins and his swift, ruthless climb to emperor, viewed through the prism of his addictive and often volatile relationship with his wife and one true love, Josephine, played by Vanessa Kirby. The film captures Napoleon’s famous battles, relentless ambition and astounding strategic mind as an extraordinary military leader and war visionary. An Apple Studios production in conjunction with Scott Free Productions, “Napoleon” is produced by Scott, Kevin Walsh, Mark Huffam and Phoenix, with Michael Pruss and Aidan Elliott serving as executive producers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Niska

While it'll be on Apple TV, it will be getting a cinema release Nov 22nd.

Napoleon is coming our way before the end of the year – heading to UK cinemas on 22 November, before it makes its way to Apple TV+ at a later date. 

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Always remember, however productive you think you are, 85 year old Ridley Scott has you beat. His output has been variable and then some, but the man sure does work. Said it before but I daresay he'll pass while on an active project - his office a trove of scripts & manuscripts.

As to the trailer? While it might be all in the editing, it looks absolutely epic and gloriously old-school; could be one requiring the cinema before it appears on Apple+. I'm sure many of those crowd scenes are CGI but I can't deny I'm a sucker for something this gloriously operatic.

I do love this continued trend to have historical stories, set in France with French characters, speaking with plummy English accents. Wonder who started that; not that everyone talking with Allo Allo accents wouldn't itself be distracting - but why have everyone do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The cinema release for this I am sure for Oscar nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The accent trend is not new, though I've seen it more in Russian settings e.g. The Death of Stalin or the Chernobyl series. In the latter the producers explicitly said they used English etc. accents because fake Russian accents would have been a distraction. But it goes back even further, to all those historical epics of the 1950s and '60s. Charlton Heston in Ben Hur, for example!

From the trailer, Vanessa Kirby is almost a dead ringer for the Joséphine in paintings, down to the hairstyle. But who was that as the Duke of Wellington at 1:40? He looks familiar but I can't see him in the IMDB credits.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

This looks fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I love all things Napoleon, I hope this is good. Given what we've seen in the trailer this must be a really long film, but I could watch hours of this kind of thing if it's made well.

Ridley has had some clangers in recent years, let's hope he can produce something great again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's true, forgot about those recent Russia set dramas (sidebar, Death of Stalin was a fanatically dark comedy - until oh wow it wasn't - where Jason Isaacs steals everyone's lunch).

At least those dramas were entirely contained within Russia, maintaining the illusion: maybe it just stuck out more in this instance, as the tale of Napoleon would involve actual English people. So the trailer made it look like one bunch of English aristos fighting against another bunch lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This looks like it could be truly epic. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hyped but it's a shame it's in English when it's centred on Napoleon and France.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Looking forward to this. Hope it's great. And want to see it in the cinema. Hard to believe Ridley Scott is making this stuff at 85. Joaquin Phoenix is a brilliant actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭minimary

@bnt Fairly confident thats Rupert Everett at 1:40 but the film isn't listed as upcoming on his imdb https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000391/

Post edited by minimary on

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm a bit concerned about how accurate this is going to be. While I'm not expecting a work of scholarship along the lines of Braveheart, the real story is more than thrilling enough as it is.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Start with the presumption it's gonna take wild simplifications of events at best, or plain fabrication of important individuals at worst, and anything above that will surprise. I can't even remember the last time a Hollywood historical epic tried to hew closely to events; maybe Outlaw King, but my Scottish history is patchy at best.

Outlaw King was fine as I recall. A bit boring but there wasn't anything too daft going on either.

I did enjoy Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven. Scott is an incredible filmmaker. I just don't think Napoleon needs any sexing up. That said, I'm definitely going to be seeing this. I'm completely starved for historical epics as they're presumably too expensive and risky to make.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Nermal

If only Kubrick had got to it...

Did we ever have a sense what this mythological script was gonna cover? Something intimate or a big sweeping epic? IIRC Kubrick just came to the idea too late, when the historical epic was already on the wane (indeed IIRC one of the major flops that sounded the death knell was a Waterloo movie).

Yeah Outlaw King was a bit tedious, perhaps because it tried to avoid sexing things up too much?

Ironically, with CGI now so prevalent, you'd think sweeping epics, with armies numbering the tens of thousands, would be more common now - not less. You don't need to hire the Spanish or Yugoslav army anymore for your battle scenes, lol. But sure all you need is a couple to do well and back comes the genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't think sweeping epics are what people want to see anymore. Present company excluded of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

"astounding strategic mind as an extraordinary military leader and war visionary"

Based on that one can assume it won't be making a fair assessment of the jumped up little man child.

• Advertisement

One would think. I suspect it must be at least partly due to the dominance of cape-wearing types. If this is successful, we may get more historical epics which would be incredible.

0/10.

H. H. Asquith

I assume the score is for what you believe to be a troll.

Couldn't be further from the truth. While people may claim they want it to be accurate they don't.

Sure they may want the dates/places etc to be right. But they don't really want the truth.

They want something like this

"astounding strategic mind as an extraordinary military leader and war visionary"

Not the dross of the sad fat pathetic little man that he was.

I'm afraid I don't find your petty attempts at being edgy interesting. I won't be responding to any more of them.

H. H. Asquith

You think people who want to be edgy choose topics such as the potential factual inaccuracies of an epic based on napoleon?

Sound.

You could have just said you didn't mean THAT accurate and we could have carried on instead of making personal digs at me.

Calling me a troll then making personal comments. You should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Perhaps you can clarify do you not think Napoleon was an extraordinary military leader?- I think his contemporaries and most historians would share the viewpoint he was one of the best generals in world history.

The man was the greatest general of all time, led from the front, created a legal system which endures in much of continental Europe to this day and many of modern France's institutions can be traced back to him.

It's a bit cringey seeing some lad on the internet trying to be edgy by posting childish insults.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Looks really good. Looking forward to this. Can't beat Joachim Phoenix for a top notch character portrayal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

I'd say Scott should go the whole hog and make it a triptych

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

As much as I like Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven (the less said about Scott's Robin Hood movie the better), Ridley Scott and 'historical accuracy' are not close friends. Gladiator gets a pass from me because 'history' is really just a backdrop for the story, I get less forgiving about Robin Hood and that awful guff about his daddy writing the Magna Carta.... seriously... there's historical backdrop, and then there's completely re-writing important moments in history, and that make me nervous about this film.

It's Ridley Scott, so doubtless it will look gorgeous, but another strike against the film for me is the casting of Joaquin Phoenix. Firstly, the film seems to encompas all of Napoleon's career and Phoenix is already as old as Napoleon when he died, yet he's clearly portraying him in events when he was a young officer. And what's with the depressive, sullen introvert Napoleon I'm seeing in the trailers? It doesn't exactly square with the charismatic military leader that inspired a cult of personality amongst his troops. Give me Armand Assante in the 80's mini-series any day of the week!

• Advertisement

Some good points there. This feels like it would work much better as a two-parter or a trilogy. The Napoleon story is so thick that putting into even a three-hour film would involve a lot of corner-cutting and simplification.

I can tolerate limited amounts of alterations to history if it serves the plot and makes some degree of reasonable sense. I'm quite fond of Kingdom of Heaven but Baldwin IV and Saladin never met. It's a really cool scene though so I wasn't too bothered as the rest of the film is somewhat sensible, if overloaded with Orlando Bloom.

I don't think the sullen mood I'm getting from Phoenix is going to fit the film either. I'm prepared to wait for it and it being a historical epic means I have to see it regardless but it'll be quite depressing if he's going to be like that for 3 hours or more. It looks like Austerlitz is going to be just shooting cannons onto an icefield as well.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement