Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer (Dublin) in the Civil Service 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 M1ntyPyth0n

Verbal reasoning and numeracy (they love their percentages so they do) seemed to be grand. Situational judgement I was shaky on some questions (particularly delegating appropriately) but overall got on okay.

The written exercise was probably the more stressful for me personally. I had 400 words and outlined how I'd handle the scenario well but I ran out of time before I could really edit it how I would have liked.

I'm in the same boat as another user up the page; I won't be taking a Dublin job this or next year but it's good experience and sure look we'll see OoM versus total uptake after interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 3 D3BAS3R13

can someone explain how this is all marked I’m so confused with the OOM

Post edited by D3BAS3R13 on

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sunshine_and _rainbows

Completed my last test this morning so now the wait begins! I’m most worried about the verbal, I feel like I might have rushed it and let the clock get to me.

Whatever way it goes it’s good experience as I’ve not taken these tests before and I’m not long in the civil service so as another poster mentioned I wasn’t expecting the EO to run this year. I thought it was every two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭2016claire

well that's done now and wishing everyone the very best of luck. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Good luck all, the worse part for me was the written one, the numerical was tough but think I did OK on that part. Does anyone know if you do good on first 3 but not great on the written are you out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭raheny red

My impression is they'll use it to check grammatical knowledge etc., and it'll form a small part of the interview. So whatever answer you gave, jot it down and start beefing it up prior to interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 D3BAS3R13

In the CS a couple of years I’m finding it hard to move up so was thinking I might need to disclose my disability. This has really put me off the idea… can you elaborate as to why you think you shouldn’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Clearly some the the numerical questions with reams of tables, conditions etc were meant to tie you down for time...skipped those ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

I'm disabled and have gotten nothing but respect (and whatever accomodations I have required). Some of my colleagues are also disabled and are well accommodated too, some might have a different flexible schedule with more WFH to work around hospital visits and the likes.

It is easy to become anxious and stressed about these things but mistreatment of anybody in the CS is taken seriously at least in the larger departments.

I have heard some smaller departments have an entirely different atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Shanehoof1000

Hi guys ,

From anyone who has done this before just wondering how long does results usually take ?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Bookworm23

My clerical officer results were just shy of 4 weeks, different time though I took the tests in the PAS office in town.

The EO campaign in 2020 was just over 2 weeks from online tests to results

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭koifish

I found everything grand overall but verbal reasoning definitely had some odd curveballs. The numerical felt easier than the familiarisation tests, at least! Just hoping I passed it. 😅

I've heard many Dublin depts are crying out for EOs (having to borrow from other depts internally) so hopefully it moves fast. Best of luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Said it earlier in the thread, that I heard from higher up, there is a 25% deficit in EO positions - so even if you get a crap OOM you may be in the money for this comp. Had an EO start a few weeks ago in my dept, left after a week, would imagine the churn rate is quite high for the position especially if you end up in a dept you did not want

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭defiantdancer

Fritzelly,I am intrigued! Did they just quit the whole Civil Service? Or had they transferred from another Dept & ask to go back to their original Dept?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Fireproofflame_

The first stage of this competition is more intensive than the one I participated in a few years ago, back when Stage 2 comprised of the e-tray at chapter house! I wonder if stage 2 goes straight to the interview seeing how rapidly this is progressing 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bookworm23

I reckon it’ll be E-tray next, I can’t see them letting us away with that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ashrah23

What fresh hell is this ? Ha! An e-tray ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Wolfskuil

The 2022 EO went straight to interviews after testing. There were only the three parts of the test then --numerical, verbal and situational. The creative writing (!) brief seems to be a new one. Anyway, I would imagine it will go straight through to interviews this time too, unless they have too many candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭336699

There is no e-tray and I would be very surprised to get the results before September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 BernyQuack

i think the written is only considered as part of your interview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

One thing I don't get at all is that with all the training courses available in the CS, there's none for COs who want to go up in grade to EO etc, (people management etc) surely that's partly to blame for the deficit in EOs, there's one in the IPA for €810 but that's unaffordable for lots of COs. As we all know, because of the hierarchical nature of the Service there's no opportunities to practice those skills for COs in their day to day jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mytimetoshine22

I i think I failed the Numerical test so think that's it but I have a good job as an Aso In the council so the jump wouldn't have huge

Best of luck to every one

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jaye2023

I'm not in the civil service (yet) so I was also confused as well when I read "e-tray" but from what I gathered...

"An e-tray exercise is a computer-based simulation of a real work situation and replicates an email inbox. which contains information relating to a particular issue. Candidates need to find solutions in the best way. possible within a fixed amount of time".

Now that the first assessments are over, I guess we're free to confer notes and we can consider some of the situational judgment questions as a written e-tray? Because that question about the direct request from the Minister for confidential information seems highly unlikely situation to be in on a normal day! especially with them giving you an option to respectfully tell the Minister to "feck off and go 'way with your questions" 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsallabit

Nope you signed a confidentiality agreement and you should be aware the boards thread is monitored. Also depending on where your placed may not be unlikely all.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Yes minister is allways the answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭raheny red

I seen "illegal" mentioned so went with that line of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsallabit

Wouldn’t stress your more than likely good Yes minister is definitely not the answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Sorry folks that was sir humphreys joke.

I also went with the not a chance answer

Advertisement