Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer (Dublin) in the Civil Service 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

The public jobs listing says this is for Dept of Public Expenditure and Reform yet the booklet just states Civil Service.

Confusing? Which is it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Help_Dubai

Just runs through DPER as they control overall public service numbers - jobs will be across Dublin departments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Help_Dubai

The online application is very brief - are competency examples not required until after aptitude tests / before interview?

Great :) hopefully I can stay in my department

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭defiantdancer

Hello there, my manager sent this on to me the morning. I feel very conflicted as on one hand,I really like the department I am working in, I like my colleagues & really believe in the work we are doing…on the other hand, being really honest, I am not surviving on a clerical officers wage as I am sure is the situation with many of us here…. I have cut everything back to the bare minimum but still have had to borrow from family members to pay bills etc. So yes, I do realise I have apply for this although it will probably entail leaving my Dept as there isn’t a vacancy for an EO here. As they say,the only certainty in life is change…my question,which probably is a clueless one😄however,my motto is if in doubt,shout! I have completed one year as a CO. If I was lucky enough to get through all the stages to reach EO level, do you still start at the first point on the EO scale or move to the second point? I know it shouldn’t come down to money & it really shouldn’t🥲but I am looking at a huge Electricity bill this afternoon and thinking how am I going to pay this😔that is next on the list this afternoon for my flexi day-to shop around for a new electricity supplier!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭JennyZ

You start on point 1 or, if your current salary at the time of appointment to EO were higher, you start at the next higher comparable point. Go for it even for the experience of the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

To anyone already working in the CS - is it good manners to let my EO/AP know I'm applying or wait for to see if I get through the tests first.

Think my AP will be "go for it"

Talked to my AP about it, got told to absolutely go for it and sure if the assessment goes well you can get in touch with your Department's HR and they might be able to arrange for you to stay in your current Dept with PAS, assuming they have the vacancies (and a bit of luck).

I'd say depends on your working relationship with them but there's no harm in showing interest in progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

You are under no obligation to tell anyone until you get a position. Can't see a reason not to tell your managers though, plus they might come in handy for mock interviews.

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement

I did email my AP a little while after and fully supportive and offering help if needed to get through it

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭koifish

I'm relieved to hear how supportive managers are in the CS for any of you applying for promotions - such a world apart from the private sector! 😅 Reaffirms my choice to make the move. Best of luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭defiantdancer

Thank you JennyZ

Anyone know if it's a year probation or if you get credit for previous probation at CO level?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭JennyZ

Yes its a year probation regardless. Previous service doesn't come in to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sunshine_and _rainbows

Has the requirement for a level 7 qualification been removed? Currently a CO but I don’t have 2 years service so I’d be applying for external and I only have a leaving cert. Thanks

Appears to have been removed yeah, either way you could previously get in with a LC provided you had the grades. I'm in the same boat anyways all I have is a Level 5 on top of my LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

So if you passed the leaving cert you can apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭egan23

Does anyone know if applying in the interdepartmental ,do your two years have to be done by date of application or by the time of job offer if successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Does anyone know if a current serving EO can apply for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭336699

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bookworm23

I could have written this myself. I absolutely love my section and I love the work we do. I'm blended working with 1 parental day per week and 2 littles in creche and it's absolutely crippling me. I don't really have an option but to go for it. I've been a CO for 5 years (2 mat leaves included) and I've gotten so comfortable here but since I've come back everyone has either retired or been promoted on an internal competition and I'm quite lonely so maybe a fresh start will be good. Trying to be positive :) A stark difference in attitude from when I was on the CO panel willing an offer to come through, I feel I'll be dreading an offer this time round.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Applied for this, as I said in the other thread i fancy a change from working in the private sector for years and felt this would fit my skillset.

Any advice for someone who has never gone through one of these campaigns before? Far from someone who underestimates the work done by those in the PS like many in private would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 redbull1973

Hi just wondering for this competition I would have did a crap leaving cert in 1991 but since have got a 30 credit level 6 a 30 credit level 7 and a 30 credit level 8 cert. Would this qualify for the education bit?

Just go for it regardless, they are screaming out for EO's and something from 30+ years ago they know means not a damn

But better hurry up, only a few days left to apply

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Applied for this as I'd like a change from my current job.

But a question for those working in the CS. Is disclosing a disability bad? I'm fully aware CS is inclusive and blah blah but everyone says that. I feel I need to disclose because the disability/ies impact my responses to any psychometric testing they do, but am I completely screwing myself by disclosing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bookworm23

Definitely disclose it. I don’t want to go into too much detail about the people in my department as it’s not my story to tell but there are some pretty amazing people working with some severe disabilities.

I wouldn’t worry too much the CS are in my experience very accommodating. That’s not to say that every department is readily equipped for every need but as soon as the issue is raised it’s dealt with fairly swiftly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Appreciate the responses! Nothing is severe thankfully, but because I know they'd have an impact on psychometric testing results, I wanted to disclose. I've ticked the disability box on my personal details on the public jobs site, so I'll disclose what it is if it gets to that stage. Thanks! ☺️

Advertisement