Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer (Dublin) in the Civil Service 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

You did all the maths one? Wow

Yeah some of the verbal reasoning questions I was thinking surely they should be more variety in the answers, like these can't all be false

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Yes, I'm quite shocked at myself tbh, in the sample test I got about 20 done and struggled with them. If I'm correct on my opinion of the maths one, the bulk of my questions (unsure if they're the same for everyone) was "if y is 14% of x, what is 29% of x?" sort of thing one you broke the question down and ignored the fluff. And thankfully I remembered AFTER the sample test how to do that type of maths!

Pretty much how I felt about verbal, and some was unclear. Some questions, upon reading it was INDICATED that X was true, but the question was "is x definitely true," but no definitive was given in the scenario, just strong suggestion. Weird one tbh

Thought the same about a lot of the questions, which led me to "Cannot say" as some paragraphs explicitly state one or the other so you know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mytimetoshine22

Hi yes it's based on a competency and they give you it so it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mytimetoshine22

I found the maths hard also got 22 done but don't think I passed it

Thought the sjts ok and verbal ok and written but it's what they think is important @

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭raheny red

Some excellent info above folks, nice one. Finishing the maths in one go, with confidence, and no guessing is really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Thanks for all the tips, I will of course take on board doing the essay using competencies. I was just venting!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭torn-between-jobs

Did the maths and situation’s this evening … got all the maths done with about 1 min to spare, don’t get me wrong, there was a bit of a lucky dip in a few of them …

flew through the situations, found it was more common sense than anything… left the other two for tomorrow 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 24 betyourlifeonit

Hey, that doent make sense to me? Have you got it wrong? Could you calrify? Thanks

"if y is 14% of x, what is 29% of x?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I don't remember that particular element from the assessment, but I think that statement makes sense as a question that could be posed. But maths isn't my field. Why does it not make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

if you know both are part of the same whole (as in make up 100% as part of the same chart or whatever) you can just divide the known value, say y=14% and that is 700, divide 700 by 14 and multiply by 29 and you would find what x is.

Ah thank you, that makes sense, I have a habit of overcomplicating these things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Maripepe

I've just finished all the tests.

Verbal - I found to be the most difficult one, I answered 48/59 and ran out of time.

Maths - I answered all the questions, but some of them I just guessed.

Situational - I found it to be the easiest one, I've finished it less than 15 minutes

Written - It was ok, I could write a bit over 300 words and I am happy with that.

Finished too, found the verbal one extremely difficult and frustrating. No way I passed. Rest were easy enough, maths especially.

I'm the kind of guy who doesnt know what the hell is going on in films with any level of complexity so wonder if thats related to why I done so bad in verbal reasoning.

So the written is not that bad then? Was going to do it tonight but tiling the kitchen and now I'm knackered

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Maripepe

No, I don't think it was too bad. Being a non-native English speaker, I didn't find the written test too difficult. I managed to write over 300 words, and I found the People Management keywords quite useful for expanding the content of the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sunshine_and _rainbows

For anyone who has completed the written exam. Can you confirm, are we required to answer two questions at a minimum of 300 words per answer or is it 300 words for both answers total?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭2016claire

Hey all.

What is the duration for completing the test? Please and thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭defiantdancer

@Maripepe u said in a later post, that English is not your first language so to get 48 out of 59 is amazing! Fair dues!

@Maripepe do you mean the EO competencies when you say the Performance Management Keywords?

• Advertisement

Hello there,this is probably a daft question😔but I firmly believe if in doubt, shout! I have been practising aptitude tests all week as having previously worked in the hospitality sector for 20 odd years where there is a lot of need for common sense but aptitude tests not so much!

I sat down to do them yesterday as couldn’t get to them during the week as covering two colleagues roles who are out sick so was just exhausted every evening.And this is where I feel like a real idiot🥲I can’t figure out how to do the room scan😔I have read all the instructions, watched 3 videos on YouTube how to do one & have made several attempts now😔

my laptop that I am doing it on,has a built in camera. I have disconnected it from all the cables,lifted it up & followed the instructions. Desk top,front of room,to the left,to the right etc. my question is all I can see in the webcam is my own face looking back at me😔I have turned the laptop around so it is not facing me & walked around the room with it-is that the correct way to do it? Then obviously I can’t see what it is filming😔Do I just have to trust that it is ok?I am beginning to think I am going to fail this before I have even started!

i know this is a really daft question & I feel really stupid for having to ask it so please be kind😔Hopefully,I am given you all a laugh the morning anyhow!Just for context, this time of thing is not second nature to me😄I am in my 50’s & struggle with technology every day-I am doing my best to learn-some days are better than others! Any help/advice would be immensely appreciated as obviously,the deadline is rapidly approaching on this😔

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Missy95

Don’t disclose your disability. I did and they don’t want me in my section over it. Also FORSA just won a discrimination claim for a person with a disability against Department of social protection. Person was awarded 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bookworm23

Just finished the essay by the skin of my teeth, 310 words 😂 I fully intended to go back and flesh it out a bit more but time got away from me. At least I can probably recoup any damage done in the interview stage and explain further.

What a relief to have it all done. I'm slightly disgusted the maths doesn't count towards your oom, I shocked myself and finished them all with only a couple of guesses. 😅

Now we wait.......

Just face the laptop away from you when doing the scan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Noob here too!

I'm the dope with the desktop PC, hoisting up the screen, hoping the wires don't disconnect, wheezing as I count down the seconds while the PAS get some footage of the pigeons on the balcony... I'm basically exhausted before I start each test

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭EduKate

I know in previous competitions the info booklet said numerical was a straight pass/fail and wouldn't count towards OOM, but I didn't see any explicit mention of that in the booklet for this campaign (unless I overlooked it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bookworm23

God yeah you’re probably right, an oversight on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭336699

It’s a minimum of 300 words maximum 500 words in total, not for each question.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭336699

The Verbal, Numerical and Situational Judgement assessments were the exact same as the ones used in the national EO 2022 competition.

My understanding is the Written assessment isn’t assessed until interview stage.

Best of luck everyone!

• Advertisement

Essay done - did not like that - 30 mins to think through what you are going to say and then type and make corrections, delete stuff, retype stuff.

Somehow got 475 words done but dunno if it was a good 475 words, think Q1 I answered pretty well. Q2 was hard trying to think of a similar situation.

Advertisement