Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Executive Officer (Dublin) in the Civil Service 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭HiggieL

It's a very slow process, I'm currently cs too. I sent back my Garda vetting on Monday and I just checked and it hasn't even started to process. I know from people moving on cs mobility the extra vetting can take a few weeks but receiving dept can never offer a timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 EmbitterGlitter

@CMH1967 yes public jobs message board. I would probably follow up if your Garda vetting was complete & you’ve sent your additional security clearance form in too, no harm. I had to follow up a few times & change references but they were very responsive & helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JBR97

surely a message coming for last batch before week is out ? Thought interviews finished Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JJfd

next Friday I thought one of my friends has an interview Friday 24th afternoon

a long wait ahead if that’s the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,376 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm shocked and delighted, I passed the interview

Ps results are out

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sayra23

@fritzelly congratulations! It’s very fast from now on. Passed interview on 26th April, got word of department this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kellyf17

For anyone assigned a department recently, in particular from batch 8 interviews, what departments have you been assigned to please? Just as a matter of interest

somehow passed the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭egan23

• Advertisement

Justice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 XPaladocious

Hi all,

I'm just applying for my first EO job. I'm having trouble knowing how to format my application for the competency questions - do I use the star method here for each competency? It's really hard to hit all the points they mention for each competency in less than 250 words! Is there any example applications one can look at anywhere online?? Many thanks for anyone who can spare a minute to give their opinion/advice.

Where is the limit for 250 words?

Just write it all down then look at compacting it, maybe Bing Chat can help you condense your points (I used it as my first draft was paragraphs for each competency) and make sure you use "I" did this, "I" did that everywhere and don't worry about hitting every point so long as the overall story covers most of it.
    Try and do it as bullet points rather than one long narrative, will be easier to remember and track back and forth if they ask questions

And you will need more than one example as they will probe you for other examples on specific parts of the competencies

• Registered Users Posts: 17 i_am_me

Probably should have come back sooner and posted. Got through interview. Never questioned on that bit at end of app - given situation and 350 word response. Interview as a whole was a bit weird, lot of hand holding and guiding you through the questions. I know they want you to get the job but they basically answered their own questions or hinted towards the response they wanted. Was late afternoon interview so maybe that factored in. STAR method went out the window after second question as they basically answered themselves. Really strange overall. Scored decent, ended with OOM low 30s. Did not request to stay in DSP even after AP messaged asking to lol new dept new things to learn and enjoying CS job again. After my last rant I will say DSP is a nice place to learn and grow but don't get stuck do your two years and move on or up if like it. Might look into recent HEO but enjoying current position and staff. New AP did say if you ever want to apply for HEO that this is the one to do with changes to capabilities from competencies, so good luck.

Thanks to you both 👍 I've attached a screenshot of one application and the word limit in case you think I'm talking about a different section. The one I've attached has a word limit of 100words for each competency.. It seems so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭HiggieL

Is this for an internal comp? 100 words seems very little I'd say stick to bullet points, ask your line manager for help once you have a draft

No, it's an external comp. Thanks, that's a good idea 👍

Got the request for proof of exam a little while ago

all those that got Dept of Justice.. have you heard anything from them?

@sayra23 nothing yet.

• Advertisement

assuming best way to get LC results quickly is to go to old school for a copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kellyf17

I ordered them online at a cost of €14.50 had them in about a week. See below.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PO2024

Do you need a college degree for HEO? What's a realistic timeline to move from EO to HEO.

The new interdepartmental comp has no qualification requirement

Anyone have any suggestions on this or in similar situation, negative or positive.

Would I be mad to take a paycut from 55k to join civil service EO late 30s and want out of retail management after 15 years.

Doing a lot of reading on pensions and see it's not as good as it used to be?

But still think it would be a better move for when I get a bit older.

I've put myself in a good position for a move like this but it's hard to stomach such a drop.

That's a big cut - but maybe the work/life balance makes up for it?

@PO2024 I’m also coming from private sector, and the wage drop is massive but for me I’m just thinking about the stability, and the work life balance after being in tech for a couple of years. To me it just makes sense with a family now. You could easily get the head down and get back to the 55k mark in a couple of years in internal comps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭caviardreams

And better career opps imo - retail management can top out unless you want to move location or travel a lot.

EO > HEO > AP pathway very do-able for many over 10-15 years

Thanks for the replies good to hear similar stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭torn-between-jobs

I came in from private sector last year, I was on over 60k + bonus and was able to put savings behind me and I came in as a CO on 27K…. It was a massive drop but you soon learn to cut your cloth to match … I can honestly say it was the best move in my career to date ( stress wise ) … if u can afford it… do it , you won’t look back …. The very best of luck !

Advertisement