Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

The businesses of web design (or cake baking, the other famous relevant case in this area) are not really comparable.

No-one would seriously call providing banking services an act of artistic expression.

Nor is web design is not an oligopoly under heavy government regulation - it's as close to a perfect market as it's possible to get; if someone won't design a site for you, there are literally millions of others willing to do so.

In the unlikely event that the banking industry was taken over by fundamentalist Christians and started refusing services to individuals or businesses that didn't adhere to their moral code, I would absolutely support the government forcing them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

What you are describing is sycophantism, but to what benefit?

It's not like they mean anything to the people they debase themselves for other than being easy marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s pretty clear to me that they considered his feedback remarks about pride and trans ideology(nothing to do with their banking services by the way) discriminatory, so it’s really their prerogative to cancel the account.

I mean, if he feels that strongly about his building society’s participation in pride then surely he’s free to go and find one that doesn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭brickster69

But they asked for his feedback and he gave it according to the vicar.

An evil man will burn his own nation to the ground to rule over the ashes - Sun Tzu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For all we know aliens might control the banks, headed by the frozen head of Josef Stalin's son, but i wouldn't try and make money and a media profile out of it. Or at the very least ... ... offer some proof. But we have certainly seen a parade of hard line brexit advocates pivot to a narrative of persecution and the EU, Remoaners and the world in general "punishing" the true believers. And Nigel Farage has plenty of form telling fibs and talking shíte.

So which is more likely: a grand financial conspiracy picking on the political pariahs... or a political celebrity, famed for attention seeking stunts, continuing to act like a martyr? It's not that hard a read TBH. Buying into the scaremongering cos ... well, it's the banks innit, doesn't instruct.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

Fair enough the web developer took their hypothetical case all the way to the USSC and Nigel Farage complained publicly about injustice without seeking legal recourse.

It's not fair.

Justice for Nigel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If it is, it's horrifying but I'm confident that it isn't. Let's have some proof.

I think it's to legitimise partisan media in the US so that whenever anyone points to Europe as a beacon of truth and objectivity, they can just bring up GB News. It also helps to prop up unfit-for-purpose venal governments such as the one we have in the UK now and that can lead to real returns on investment.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭McFly85

Well that’s the thing. He says it was a brief statement on pride and trans ideology, but that could still be highly discriminatory. Without seeing the actual feedback it’s difficult to know.

I think it’s odd to feel the need to give your building society feedback on anything other than their actual business though.

Like the guy said in the interview. He believed that promoting such things are not what a bank should be doing and may be bad for business and they should concentrate on what they do. As we saw in the US with Bud light he may of been giving them some good advice. They asked for it.

For certain thousands of people will be upset and move banks because they disagree strongly with it. It only takes 10 minutes to open a bank account, press a button money gone. See ya later.

Damage is done now, like that Jewelry shop CEO who went on telly and said his jewellry was overpriced crap. He was bust in a month.

Then again maybe he was lying.

An evil man will burn his own nation to the ground to rule over the ashes - Sun Tzu

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

So you were wrong about GB News lots of high profile presenters have joined the station like Eamon Holmes and Anne Diamond

So you have proof that he is lying or it's all just wishful thinking from you?

• Advertisement

Andrew Neill is the only person who didn't immediately see what GB News was about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He did. He just jumped ship once it became clear that nobody was watching.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

If true then the bank was actually discriminating against him, i wonder how it would go in court ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

lol, so he abused their staff because the bank was sponsoring Pride and is now crying because they don't want an abusive customer.

I do think this is some attempt at manufacturing an excuse for racist and lgbt-phobe businesses to refuse customers, but it's a bit on the nose.

Another hole in his story. He'd have taken legal action if this was legit. Instead, he's lying about it.

H. H. Asquith

What abuse did he give exactly ? Do things go into your brain and then get twisted about into something that you want to believe ? If true the guy was asked to feedback and he gave it.

In effect the bank If true then the bank was actually discriminating against him, i wonder how it would go in court ?

What the bank should do is to publicly state that any customer that thinks like this must close their account within 2 weeks. It would be funny if say 70% of it's 2 million customers all turned up at the branches and told the cashier that is what they think and what are you going to do about it ?

Oh, so now you know he is lying as well do you. You should be in the circus or something, you can read people mind as well. Unreal

Imagine you being on a jury you would execute someone before you knew the facts.

The mask slips.

He's been gaslighting this country for over a decade now. Perhaps you could give me a reason why we shouldn't be able to question what he says?

H. H. Asquith

What are you on about. Anyone can have a view on what they want.

You however just stated publicly "Instead, he's lying about it" when you don't know that as a fact and just believe that. You are doing exactly what he is accused of doing, whatever that is.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Well go and ask the bank not me. I already told you if he has done something wrong then fair enough. You meanwhile are called him publicly as lying which you don't know. You are discriminating him because he has an opposing view to you.

So your mask is the one that has slipped.

I've no interest in researching your argument for you. I made clear why I said he was lying and you've given me nothing to impel me to reconsider that opinion.

H. H. Asquith

Because i do not have the supernatural powers to know what happened like you do.

You may well be right, but you do not know do you ? You are hoping that is the case isn't it ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The burden of proof in all this are those accusing the banks of prejudice or conspiracy - ie Nigel Farage in this case. Might help to stick to the subject to concentrate dicsussion. As it is in any case where someone makes an accusation. Farage made the accusations, his words precipitated this thread and rather than take the man by his history, you seem to want to take a noted charlatan and spoofer by his word. Maybe he's telling the truth, yeah, maybe. But he also probably isn't if he can't fashion a shred of proof beyond the fact his media profile ain't what it used to be. As said, whither the other Brexit architects' respective punishments? Liz Truss is creaming it on on the speaker circuit, for example; no sign of punishment there.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Unless Nigel attacked 7 banks with 7 pride parades he already banked with, what’s the relevance?

Nigel Farage has been accused of "lying" about the banks many, many times throughout this thread, all without a shred of evidence. The accusation is stated as if it were axiomatically true.

Yet a high bar of evidence appears only when other people make claims. All of a sudden, evidence seems to actually matter.

Abject hypocrisy and nothing less besides.

Where's the burden of proof do you think?

Farage making the allegation in a public forum or people responding to his allegation in a pubic forum.

It's a bit he said/people call bullshit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

The thing is though , is there’s as much evidence to say it DID happen as there is that it DIDN’T happen.

It’s Nigel Farage’s word.

And you either believe him.

Or you look at the many, many times he has lied to get ahead and choose NOT to believe him..

You can believe him or disbelieve him.

Either is fine.

But to accuse someone of lying is to allege that they are deliberately making a false statement, in this case, to the public.

Those making the claim must shoulder the burden of evidence -- not only to make it likely, but to prove the statement to be true.

As yet, no such evidence has been provided. Not a drop. Pointing to past alleged claims of Farage lying is not evidence that Farage is lying about the banks.

In other words, the people accusing Farage of lying -- on the basis of a lack of evidence to support his claim -- are just as guilty of that which they allege of Farage.

That's both hypocrisy and irony in one fell swoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What’s funny about this sniveling is that all these posts that Farage is lying would be obviated if he posted himself “a shred of evidence” that his politics are why 7 banks won’t bank with him. The onus is on nobody else to prove the negative of Nigel’s claims.

Advertisement