Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,172 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course but he won't so we get the both sides trope once again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So the guy who has opened multiple accounts, each with Nigel Farage avatars, and a history of fawning said man, is defending Nigel Farage in a case where the burden is entirely on the accuser?

Snort.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,565 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So which do you believe? Farage, with a history of disinformation and having provided no evidence, or you don't believe him and require some evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

See, I don’t see that at all.

But what has Farage done in the past for you to trust him so?

As far as I see it, it has gone like this:

Farage makes a claim that banks won’t have him as a customer (bar a basic account)

People don’t believe him as he has lied about things before.

He offers no further proof. His supporters, like you, say his opponents should provide proof that he is lying. How should we do that? Rifle through his bins looking for a bank statement?

Sorry, but the burden of proof here is on Farage, he’s the one that made the initial claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Because the single advantage that farage has in not providing evidence is to keep the suckers engaged.

As you have engaged.

This is entirely manufactured outrage that you have fallen for, again.

If there was some other part to this about human rights or the failure of brexit causing banks to act a certain way, there would also be evidence outside of nigels remit to look at (other high profile brexiteers similarly effected, court cases about human rights) but there is none, with the closest on this thread being a vicar who abused a bank for supporting gay people and another member of nigel's party (or some party) who also provided no details or evidence of what is being claimed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'm sorry who are you calling a crank on your post?

I'd love to know why the GB News thread disappeared, probably because it became a success and continues to thrive to the embarrassment of the usual far left English hating commentators on here. Great to see Nigel winning awards as well

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What a ride of a post, 'whose a crank here!?' 'the bloody anglophobes are to blame for all this!' 'Here's Nigel ingratiating himself again, that will own the libs' let us know when he wins the favor of a bank, or a high court...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Uhm. I'm calling myself a crank.

That maybe I've somehow missed this roaring success that is GB News since the last time people insisted very loudly it was doing great. Cos why would I keep paying attention to something niche and irrelevant, as opposed to actual, honest opinions on matters more immediate and pragmatic than "woke" paranoia bores?

Lol. Maybe instead of trotting out idiotic pejoratives about "English hating" far left blah blah blah, you can offer some actual stats backing up how amazing the channel's doing? Someone already gave some facts about its funding model - perhaps you'd offer than instead generalisations. English hating. Snort, again.

Hate to break it to you but nobody's talking or thinking about GB News, cos it has not become the Fox of the UK.

I know it's easy to assume we're all frothing at the mouth lefties, all angry at these brave truth tellers on GB News... but most of the time, we got more important stuff to worry about right now. As said I genuinely forgot GB News was a thing til this thread invariably turned into some Ladies Protesting Too Much.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,172 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It baffles me that so many people are so obsessed with that failed fake news channel. Suppose someone should cover the stories that the MSM just won't touch:

Among their stars are Anne Diamond, a woman nobody has ever heard of and Eamon Holmes, one of the British presenters of all time.

I suspect it exists like some sort of stud farm for establishment creatures unable to get into the House of Lords or the American speaking circuit. I've no idea why people insist on constantly bringing it up on here, even hailing Farage for winning a fake award but c'est la vie.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Honest to god, hand on heart: outside of Boards and beyond the initial reporting of its creation, I don't think I've seen more than a half dozen mentions of GB News, total. Nobody cares. Its utter, general irrelevancy in the world can't be overstated, especially in light of the actual problems facing people in the street these days. Woke paranoia versus warm banks.

Yet every now and again people here insists it's a big, successful channel that has us ... lol... "English hating hard left" types quaking and ranting into our avocados.

Nobody gives a shít, which in many respects is the worst result the station could have hoped for.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the whole disruptive thing sort of fell flat when they chose a medium that barely anybody outside the older demographics use. I've lived here in the UK for over a decade now so I know the politics well enough. I've never heard anyone mention it. I don't think any of my friends, colleagues or relatives have even heard of it.

I've no idea why people on an Irish forum keeping bringing it up so desperately like this. The only news channel I watch is Sky News and that's because it's live on Youtube which is just unbelievably handy.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

It reminds me of a reddit Ireland thread a few years ago with the usual np and ifp patriots going on about immigrants, Ireland for the Irish etc and how great the likes of stephen yaxley-lennon, Kate Hopkins etc were and half of them outing themselves as English immigrants or still living in England by the end of the night because they got offended by people providing facts to counter ther arguments.

So far we’ve the word of someone who could be described as a pathological liar, who is known to be a shill and we've yet to hear from the bank. I could be wrong but I suspect that we won't be hearing from the bank in question as to the reason, for legal reasons as already pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,366 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

like what?

What about all the conspiracy theories that have completely failed the test of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The source of COVID is probably the big one in recent years.Every person who suggested it came from the lab in Wuhan was dismissed as a conspiracy theorist and told they were spreading dangerous lies, turns out of course that it was true.

what was true?

Was it that the virus came from a lab leak from just studying existing coronaviruses?

Or that it was deliberately engineered and then escaped by accident?

Or that it was released on purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,403 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Even Andrew Neil their marquee signing and figurehead rapidly nope'd out of the place when he realised wtf was all around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The fact you are claiming this as "true" is part of the problem, it isn't, they are still open to lab leak as a possibility but the likeliest source is still zoonotic either by wet market or from an animal taken into the lab (and then leaked after someone became infected).

And again, the sandcastle of "some conspiracy was true thus others might be" falls immediately (and lab leak wasn't even a conspiracy, it was one of the options right in the very first report on the origin).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

That it leaked from the lab in Wuhan.

Whether it was deliberate or not is irrelevant to how it was covered by the media just even mentioning the lab leak theory was deemed a conspiracy theory and you were a bad person because of this (according to a lot of the media), even though common sense suggested the lab leak theory was fairly sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Am I right in saying Farage said he had his bank account closed and he can't get a new one, says it's political persecution from the woke lefty liberal uhm, ... banks and he has offered extensive documentary evidence of this claim?

He's offered no evidence. He's just pretending to be a victim.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭Rawr

Part of me wonders if what has happened is that he's gone to the bank, tried to get some kind of loan/service hoping that his clout would be enough to get approval, which then possibly failed due to the bank not really giving 2 fecks about his political stature (or lack thereof).

Then he does the whole "don't you know who I am?!" dance and storms off while declaring that "Bank X will now get my business! You'll see!"

Then he goes to "Bank X" hoping for the same, getting shot down for the same, and then having to rinse & repeat for the benefit of "Bank Y"...and so on. Fail 7 times and the finally milk it for outrage.

My guess is that Farage wanted special treatment and the banks were having none of it. Until we get some evidence either way, we'll never know, but until it's produced he can play the victim.

I'd go further: I've spoken to enough people at this stage, those for whom the term "woke" was utterly meaningless to them. And I'm not exagerrating. These would be broadly internet-apathetic people: so when I explained what "woke" meant - initially suspecting it was the wording they hadn't heard inasmuch the meaning - the response was general bemusement that this was a thing people were upset or obsessed over. The responses' energy of the "do these people not have better things to do?" variety when I explained. It was actually kinda embarrassing to explain to some people ... when I actually verbalised the whole concept, out loud, to another human being.

And it's really funny how GB News, Farage, all the usual suspects here, would go on and on about woke this and that - yet whither the equivalent anger since the Cost of Living Crisis went into overdrive; or zero hour contracts started eroding the concept of a career; health services being gutted; simple access to affordable homes disappeared; high streets shrivelling en masse; Brexit dysfunctional at best; etc. etc. Yet if you listen to a niche TV channel the biggest and most important things to shout about are what pronouns some young people chose to use.

No no, don't look at how you can't heat your home in winter, or feed your children enough square meals - look over there! At the Radical Left, with their blue hair and gender fluidity. That's the real enemy. Apparently.

Farage hasn't offered a single shred of evidence, or even testimony of the 1st or 3rd hand variety; of course the fact we are now talking about Nigel Farage again in the first, and he appeared in the news to a degree, was probably entirely the point of the exercise. Again, in a "look over there" sorta way, Farage wants to play martyr rather than anyone asking awkward questions over his support of a concept that has essentially styimed the British economy and society. Or indeed the source of his wealth

The "anti English" crowd around here are those who think Brexit was a path to success for the English & British people. Those of us with relations and friends over there despair as they struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,339 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You are correct except fthe one tiny detail that you yourself query. At least, Farage fanboys will tell you its a tiny detail, or will dismiss it as irrelevant. But it's crucial.

Recall that this story was broken by Farage himself, and the assertion that the refusal of banking services is based on a dislike of his political opinions comes from him. The usual useful idiots have accepted this uncritically and have repeated and amplified it but there is, of course, no reason at all for thinking that it is true, and obvious reasons for suspecting that it is not.

So what's going on here?

Farage broke this story, which on the face of it is detrimental to him, because he wanted to control the narrative. The fact that he was denied banking services would inevitably become known, and the true reason for that would sooner or later become apparent, so he attempts to minimise the harm by getting in first, circulating a false story about the reasons for his problem, and relying on the aforementioned usual useful idiots to propagate that story and get it implanted in the public mind as the first impression.

It's the same tactic as is used by an Minister who resigns to spend more time with his family shortly before the story about the rent-boys and the white powder, all charged to expenses, is plastered across the tabloids.

Note that Farage, a master of the art of obfuscation, actually deployed what in the PR trade is called the two-step. First, he broke the story, alleging that he was being targeted for his political opinions. Then, when the true reason began to emerge, he tried to connect the money-laundering regulations which were being applied to him with the EU, so that his fanboys could then whine about EU oppression and the failure to diverge. This is equally false.

No it wasn't. There were lots of speculation that it might have been an accidental leak.

The conspiracy theory was that it was deliberately leaked or that the virus was engineered as a bioweapon in the lab, rather than just being studied

Agreed. I live in a houseshare and I'm in my thirties. Every time I see a "woke" thread, I can't help but wonder if the usual suspects have jobs, struggle with rent, need to see a GP but the waiting list is too, long, etc... I've just never understood how someone can obsess with the skin tone of the new little mermaid with everything else that's going on.

I remember a few times when I asked a few posters to define the word. Predictably, they couldn't use their own words. One of them dumped a few hundred words from an article. I've brought it up with a few friends and they'll just respond that it's a bit much, the whole woke thing and leave it at that. I've one friend who keeps dropping gender identity going mad into conversations to which I respond by going completely silent.

The "anti English" crowd around here are those who think Brexit was a path to success for the English & British people. Those of us with relations and friends over there despair as they struggle.

Ah, yes. This old trope used to crop up in the Brexit threads. Weird thing for alleged Irish nationalists to be doing on an Irish site but who am I to judge? It all feels so long ago at this point so it's particularly weird to see it coming back now.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I've no doubt he has/had non-UK bank accounts. Most if not all MEPs do/did.

Many people are missing the wider point here. It's not only about Nigel Farage. Many other prominent right-wing voices (and their families) have had their bank accounts closed.

Dominic Lawson's daughter, who has Down's syndrome, was rejected a bank account on the basis of who her grandfather was -- the late Nigel Lawson, former Conservative chancellor.

If this were some isolated case, you could perhaps understand the reaction against Farage on here. But it isn't. We've seen too many examples, and more coming through by the week, of primarily conservative voices having their bank accounts closed in a trend that we don't see with prominent non-conservative voices.

"Debanking". Sounds ... rude if you say it out loud.

I think @Peregrinus 's assessment should be pinned to the top of this thread 'cos it cuts to the quick about what this is all about. Shady political individuals, trying to weaponise the so-called "culture war" and get in front of the messaging. The 'aul firehose of falsehood method, of sorts.

It takes some measure in bending of reality to rationalise Banks as now being "left wing".

Banks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

This is still fine. The reality is that their money comes from places like Russia and China with the hope that they will cause or capitalise on unrest within a country/group of countries that Russia/China see as an issue.

Like take Gemma Doherty for example, how the hell is she making a living when she's out protesting outside google and what not. She's getting money from somewhere and it's not a Job or Business or some Inheritance.

Nigel Farage is a traitor, he betrayed the EU and the UK with a bunch of lies and half truths. There is no doubt in my mind that a large portion of his wealth has come from people/places seeking to destabilise the EU.

he's made his bed, now he can sleep in it.

I've often thought it would make a great game show for far right and far left drum bangers to go and live in a country as an ordinary citizen that has the ideals/setup that they're pushing for, and see how they get on.

Advertisement