Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nigel Farage cries persecution, nobody wants to be his banker after ties to Russia

Options

Comments

Banks won the central significant claim of the trial, the reason the trial was created in the first place -- the defamatory claim that his business interests were somehow aligned with Russian money.

During the trial, it was demonstrated that Banks and his business interests were not connected with Russian money. The judges decided that the journalist had spoken in a defamatory way and had to pay over £1 million in damages.

The other parts were irrelevant side-stories. The kind of things that lawyers appendage to the central case.

I know she appealed. We'll have to see how that appeal works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

I believe UK banks operate a shared blacklist, so conspiracy is not necessary for that to occur.

But, we just don't know.

More transparency is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭nachouser

Capitalist appears to fall foul of regulations that apply to capitalists.

If he were reading this, I'd imagine he'd appreciate my use of the phrase "fall foul".

• Registered Users Posts: 41,010 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Links?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I have never liked Nigel Farage ... or anything he stands for .... I have long suspected he and his equivalents worldwide are all agents of or allies of Russia or ... to be more precise ... Putin's Russia ...

You see the Cold War never really ended ... that was always about using proxies and hidden agents to destabilise the other side .... various countries in Africa as well as Central America along with Afghanistan all used as battlefields for the proxy wars between the 2 powers ... not to mention Korea and Vietnam ... it continues to this day with Ukraine ....

Russia controls large swathes of the world ... it is the biggest country on earth officially but unofficially is even bigger again ... just add Belarus, some of Ukraine, Iran, Syria ... and most of the other non-EU ex-USSR countries and you get a better picture of what Russia really is .... North Korea is a joint owned project with China ... and Venezuela, Nicaragua and Cuba are WIP client states/colonies .... Russia owns the Caspian sea, much of the Arctic ocean, and the Iranian part of the Persian Gulf ... in other words prob 50%+ of the world's oil and gas .... it controls factions in other countries and controls the narrative ... this is where Mr Farage comes in ....

Brexit like Trump like European far right are all Putin projects ... all designed to destabilise and divide the other side .... Farage inspired and lead people towards a faux nationalism that served Putin ... just like Trump did ... ironically weakening the countries and tarnishing the reputation obo the other side to make them look good ...

The far right and the far left have always been good at propaganda ... Farage is no exception ... although he is harder to pigeonhole into any category .... rightwing he is but far right in the conventional sense I am unsure ... he is more an opportunistic conman part used car salesman part oldschool Tory part self styled economist than an out and out Hitler ... but that is not to say what he is and was is good ...

Ever since the rise of the Khmer Rouge in the mid 1970s and the 1979 so-called 'revolution' in Iran we have seen all sorts of self styled opportunists becoming dictators via pals in high places who are meant to be their enemies often only to be revealed in later scandals ... to this day it goes on and especially with Putin ... Putin and Trump conspire to put sanctions on countries like Iran to drive them backwards to a government more suited to their far right agendas of control ... Farage was meant to be the same for the UK ... but I feel people got wise to all this faux 'revolution' the far right or far left ... depending on the times ... plan in the shadows .... any country that had their governments toppled and/or consumed by the extremists has not fared well at all ... Iran and their 'revolution', US and Trump, Russia's experience with Putin .... and Farage's Brexit .... all come to mind ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The celebratory tone is because farage is a twat. That said, he does have access to a bank account, he's just lost access to certain services because banks don't want to deal with him for reasons he won't say.

That he tried to blame it on how badly brexit is going makes him an even bigger twat.

Anyone trying to defend him at the moment is a sucker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

If 7 banks won’t touch him, there is enough risk attached to him being a PEP that could mean serious regulatory repercussions down the line. That’s pretty much all this is.

Its not going to be 1 or 2 payments from RT a few years ago that flag him, there will be more nonpublic information banks have access to when products are requested(credit registers, transaction history) that they’re obliged to check.

Anyone thinking poor aul Nige is a victim here is way off the mark. The banks are acting in their own self interest, because that’s how banks act.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

That'll only help for a bit. There'll be a new incarnation soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

7 pages and its all based on believing the ramblings in a video from a compulsive liar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember being annoyed with my bank and asking another about opening an account. They said it'd be extremely easy. Then again, I'm not a Russian asset.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

The title of that Twitter video should be, "Old man stands on a stage, ranting conspiracy theories about his political opponent"; a man who ironically can't even seem to pronounce the word PayPal properly.

Because that's what they are; unsubstantiated allegations. Gordon Brown made those empty speculations in 2019.

Four years later, they're still empty speculations.

I'm surprised the Tweet included Farage's response, because that response nails Brown, his motivations, and his hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Given that farage has lost his banking access, it looks like Brown was proven correct.

Unless you believe that Brown was part of a conspiracy to stop Farage using bank services 5 years later.

Is that a conspiracy you believe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Given that farage has lost his banking access, it looks like Brown was proven correct.

That's a non sequitur.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So where are in terms of facts known?

So far, all I have seen is Farage saying he lost his bank account. Saying he tried 7 others and that he was refused access by all of them.

And then he seems to imply, and this is amplified by those supporting him, that it is politically motivated.

But have we actually got any evidence? Has he produced the letters he received? Did he try a legal route prior to his video? What has his accountants had to say about it?

Did he go the the banking ombudsman, which should have been his first action after being denied service without explanation?

Some people believe that because Byrne played one of Farage's Cameo clips, that's somehow a knock-out journalistic blow. That's how low the bar is set.

When you brush aside that cheap reference, Farage dismantled her arguments throughout the interview -- despite her condescending, patronising, arrogant tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭McFly85

There’s no public evidence it’s politically motivated, anyone who suggests it is only has Nigel’s word for that. And really, everything we do know suggests otherwise.

The banks are well with their rights to not to do business with him for whatever reason, but banks don’t care who you are if they can make money off you so that’s extremely unlikely.

The fact that there are 7 of them really points to him failing a background check. My guess would be transactions between a known account of his and accounts recently discovered to be associated with sanctioned states/persons. Doing business with him would then represent regulatory risk.

So simply put, it’s either 7 banks colluding together to harm a person long after their political prime, or Nigel Farage is lying.

Pretty simple to conclude the correct answer if you ask me!

Post edited by McFly85 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Funny how Farage always manages to pop up, just as his relevancy and media footprint begins to fade. Funny that. Real funny.

Real shades too of the Skinner "the kids are wrong" Meme with all this; maybe it's just Farage is a bad potential customer thr banks don't want to do business with? No, noooo. It's a conspiracy, must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Hahahahahhahhhahhhhhaaaahhhahhhhhaaaahhhahhahhahhhahahahahhahhah. Ignored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

“Bad thing happens to bad man”

Shocked when people celebrate.

Brown implied dodgy financial dealings were going on with Farage, Farage then lost bank service access due to dodgy financial dealings.

Brown was correct.

Farage was dodgy.

Farage supporters are suckers.

Unless you want to espouse the conspiracy going on here (that banks care about brexit and are all taking retaliatory action due to how badly brexit is going), I'm sure it will be well reasoned and argued.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,278 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nonsense.

When she showed the tiocfaidh ár lá clip, he looked like he both wanted to crap himself and throw up, a clueless blathering idiot lecturing Irish people when he as Claire Byrne said doesn't have a clue.

He really panders to the lowest common denominator little englanders and similar and is good at it. While in reality he is an ex banker who is an opportunist grifting for money at every opportunity.

Didn't he say he would leave the country if Brexit was a disaster?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Even if one indulged in the conspiracy, it makes no sense. Indeed it's some bloody hubris for Farage to basically appoint himself King of Brexit, like it's all his brainchild / fault and the banks decided to attack him specifically - as opposed to oooh, I dunno, the various actual Politicians and elected Tories who enacted the referendum in the first place.

David Cameron gave the public the referendum, Theresa May pulled the trigger on Article 50 before anything was set up ... ... yet Nigel Farage is picked on? He wot has never won a Westminster election and just made bank(hoho) on trumpeting the sunny uplands? Sure Nigel, Brexit is all on you (though funny how he disavowed himself of Brexit promises like the 350 million for the NHS after the referendum passed)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Nigel Farage is a Russian stooge

the chances of his accounts being suspended because he breached the sanctions are way higher than any of the one world government conspiracy nonsense

Do lots of other people and corporations also break the sanctions? Probably, but few of them are putting a spotlight on themselves the way Farage does

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

This is hilarious.

“Farage was paid inconsequential appearance fees 6-7 years ago (a couple of thousand pounds)

Lammy earned a four-figure sum for appearing on the channel.”

Look at your use of language here. You call Farages “earnings” as “inconsequential” a “couple of thousand pounds” (like it’s nothing and it was around FIVE thousand pounds, five times as much as Lammy got paid) and it happened YEARS ago.

VS

”the sum” that Lammy received, (like it’s a huge amount) or the “four-figure sum” (which is ONE thousand pounds (not a couple, or multiple. One pound over being a three figure sum.

Im not saying you’re wrong. I’m saying you’re ridiculous for saying people are juvenile for celebrating this, when you can’t post in any way that might tarnish your hero at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Keep in mind that Farage is often seen begging for money in his videos and was actually charging people to join the 'Brexit Party'. There's clearly something well dodgy going on with his finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Did he charge for membership? That is sort of like asking someone to pay to prove that they are a tool, similar to someone paying a subscription to gscript and other grifter sites over here

Post edited by I.R.Y.E.D on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Unbelievably, you had to pay £50 to join the 'party' and it was registered as a limited company, not as a party at all. There was and is something very suspicious going on with Farage and money.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the same thing happens to Chay Bowes, Mick Wallace, Claire Daly here.

Advertisement