Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Electricity/Feed in Tariff for 3 Phase/Smart Meter

Options
  • 20-06-2023 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hello,

We have just got a 3 phase supply put in for a new build that is going to have about 40kw of solar on the roof exporting up to 28kw as a residential customer as opposed to business. We're also going to have a large battery bank of 60+kw also.

While the house is large, everything runs on electricity (including electric underfloor heating, 2 EVS, sauna used every day, possibly a small swimming pool), and we're quite large consumers of electricity over the course of the year we should definitely be net exporters of electricity on a yearly basis.

So I'm probably not that worried about what unit rates we pay and more about what we get paid for exporting and if there are any limits to this.

Last time I looked it seemed that in the case of most of the suppliers, they "paid" you a credit on your bill. Obviously for most people their usage over the year will exceed their production so they will still be paying out to the supplier overall. This would be an issue for me as at the end of the year I would expect they would "owe me" up to a few €1000 more than we've used.

This may not be an issue as much this year as we probably won't have the solar install done for 3+ months so sadly missing out on a lot of this years production but if I sign up for a year long contract we should still be in surplus next year.

If anyone has any advice on who I should be looking at going with that would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Is it a 3 phase smart meter that they installed? Or a day night one.. or 24hr?

First year will be the learning and monitoring year of how much power you actually use, and profile of it, day night peak etc.

But initially you want the same as everyone, the cheapest rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

How are you going to export 28 kW as residential? What sort of connection form have you sent in? NC7?

Post edited by antoinolachtnai on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

That will be a pretty unusual situation. It will take a while before you will get metering but in advance of that you should get a deemed meter amount based on your MEC. Another way to go here would be to register commercial and get one of the existing commercial quarter hour meters, but this is probably not a great option.

I think you should go with the supplier that you think is most progressive in dealing with export customers. You can go rate-chasing if you want but it could end with an administrative mess

You will have to deal with the tax situation yourself.

Have ESBn approved everything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,600 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So you will not have a smart meter if you have 3 phase. Therefore you'll get deemed export.

As far as I'm aware, and I do stand to be corrected on this, the same tariffs are available for 3 phase as for single phase customers once you are residential and have a residential MCC. Most 3 phase customers would be commercial and therefore probably looking at something like LVMD tariffs or something. Interesting question. I've considered getting 3 phase in the past myself but the worry of having to balance the phases with different inverters etc was a little past my level of comprehension and comfort! It increases your MIC and therefore the MEC you're eligible for, meaning you get higher deemed export limits and can install more power easily. I worked in the energy industry a few years ago and dealt with some residential but mostly large commercial users, didnt see any residential 3 phase connections.

Did having three phase change your MCC code? I am interested as this is a path I was considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,600 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Also, looking here, it would seem that there isnt a separate 3 phase MCC so you should be able to sign up for day night rates if mcc02.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/description-of-characteristics-of-connection-duos-and-mcc-codes.pdf?sfvrsn=42a18fe0_12

Thanks very much for the reply. Here's the meter installed?

Is this a smart meter? I don't think it is?

Am I right in saying if I don't have a smart meter I can't accurately get paid for my exported electricity?

Hopefully this is not the case as it will completely scupper all my plans!

Can I get ESB to put in a 3 Phase smart meter?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

That is a three phase digital (not smart) meter.

Three phase smart meters haven't started to be rolled out yet (late 2023 per ESBN) so you're stuck with deemed export for the moment.

Thanks for that. That's not great at all, I'd imagine my deemed export will be way lower than actual.

We're likely to be not in the house for a lot of June/July/Aug so all all of that peak production time will be exported.

I should have done my recon better on 3 phase meters, I assumed any meter put in for a new build will be smart.

I wonder how long "starting in late 2023" will take in reality, I fear it could be years after that till they get to me to put in the smart meter.

Is there any capacity to keep hassling them till they fit the smart meter? I guess I'll find out.

Will all the electricity suppliers be operating on the same "deemed rate" calculations or do they differ?

• Advertisement

The deemed rate is pretty good over the winter. The calculation is the same on all suppliers.

What MEC do you have?

Hassling won’t do any good if the meter type isn’t ready.

The three phase and DN meters are the last to get switched so there isn't that many of them vs 24 hr meters.

There is no smart 3 phase meters yet.

It's to start in the autumn of 2023.

When do you hope to compete the house/solar install?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

At least you have a decent length of cable to get a CT Clamp around all three live wires, my tails are uber short

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭DC999

While you’re away, maybe you could let a neighbour charge their EV during the day for free? If you’ve a Zappi you can set a code to lock it so they can’t change the settings. Set it to 100% Eco+ so only charges when there is 1.4kW free. So won’t ever pull from the grid basically. With 40kWp, you’ll have that all day long. Plus there is a car in the driveway too while the house is empty. You’ll be a local legend then 😊

Tbh if it all gets exported it’s still a win as there is free juice on the lines. So you’re helping Ireland Inc. IMHO it’s better than leaving some electrical devices on just to use power and waste it. Each to their own of course, you paid for it so use it as you wish.

You said you’re a large user of energy generally so it might even out on deemed export over the year even with ye being away duriig the peak. Ye will self-use a lot more at times than deemed export would expect. Takes a while to suss out what solar produces and your usage, it’s a long game. So a few months over the 25 years of solar is small beans in a way. Well, that’s how I stopped myself running around checking usage when we went live 😊

Btw, you're a legend with 40kWp. I've 5 and can't fit any more

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

Can you please share the experience of getting the 3-phase connection and NC7 application? I think people are getting more and more interested in having a larger solar system.

Your experience would be a good reference point for others.

Advertisement