Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭pgj2015

His manifesto is he is a racist simple as. How would anyone take anything he say seriously, he is coked off his head most of the time. And him calling people wasters and spongers, he was on the dole himself for years before he got lucky in the UFC by fighting in a division where all the other fighters were way smaller than him.

As if they would have anything to do with mcgregor. 😂🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

My point is - rural Ireland (in general) see Mac G as a “dirty loudmouth jackeen scummer” type - they wouldn’t dream of voting for him.

Add that to his alleged sexual assault baggage - not good for asking women to vote for him?

BUT ... if he got a few “trusted” celebs into his party - I’m thinking prominent retired GAA players like I named, or someone like Marty Morrissey, Daithi O Shea, Nevin McGuire, profiles like that?

Whatsoever about the women, Rural men would be more open to it.

Then it would be more of a prospect for a national movement and not just Dublin and environs.

I dont understand why you mention it because it would never happen in a million years.

its like saying if Daniel O Donnell made a song with Dr Dre, it would really help him break into the rap scene in America.

I think the number of people who would support a trump type in Ireland is very small, the majority of Irish people are decent people who arent racist and would have no interest in voting for someone who hates foreigners. Thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,295 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I find that the younger demographic in rural Ireland love him. The people I'm thinking of are the "mad gas, hardy buck" types.

Cooper and Spillane are nothing like him and would not be part of any party of his. Also the types of people who vote in rural areas wouldn't vote for him but he is big there with the small pond "legends"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I agree, there is a parochialism in this country that is bizarre to me. Rose tinted spectacles and all that. Or memories of a time that never existed. Ireland was a grim place for a long time, a backwater.

Someone was telling me years ago that there was a scheme in the 70’s or 80’s in Dublin to free up council houses, that people above a certain income were helped to purchase a new house in a private estate elsewhere so that the council could keep the existing house rented.

This hollowed out communities where good people who were community leaders and had support of their neighbours were gone. This gave scum/drug pushers a foothold in these areas and it has affected the generations in those communities ever since.

Good role models gone. Anyone who does do well for themselves gets out as soon as they can.

Poverty and housing are what need to be tackled. You won’t fix them overnight but that is drum we need to be banging. Not anti-migrant, anti-trans etc…

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The idea that McGregor has the support, temperament or intellect to get involved in politics and launch a party is laughable. He’s a knuckle dragging savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A problem with McGregor is that the bulk of his followers / fans are young working class males. It's a bit reckless of him to be pushing far right talking points about immigration on his social media channels....there surely is an onus on him to behave more responsibly.

By all means be a role model, but don't use it to push dodgy or shady stuff that could cause actual harm to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,295 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's not what I said at all so I don't know why you think you agree with me.

• Advertisement

If Musk didnt own twitter, id say mcgregor would be banned from the site.

I agree with you, it probably won’t happen.

But when I say about rural trusted figures joining him, I’m trying to set out how a potential McGregor fronted party would get votes in Ireland.

If he relies on his core fanbase of tracksuit “angry young men” (mainly) - it won’t take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

But he's never going to suffer the consequences if things go wrong. He's loaded. He's set for life. He can pontificate about working class problems and seem believable because of his accent and his background but he doesn't have to live there anymore. He got out so its very easy to stir things up when the consequences, whether good or bad, are irrelevant to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't know why people are taking social cues from a coked up alleged woman beater

I know...I know....far from an ideal candidate...

But, the thing is, as I’ve been saying for ages now on this site, there’s HUGE anger and a complete sense of hopelessness out there in society.

Ppl think the Govt are ignoring them, or calling them insults, and that’s what is making the likes of McGregor seem to give maybe a bit of hope there will be change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

There is no indication that conor McGregor is going into politics or that he has the motivation required to start a new party. He's just a celeb on social media giving his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I get all that. I just genuinely hate the fact that people are listening and acting on what McGregor says.

Even if I agreed 100% with what he is saying about a certain topic; which I don't regarding this... I would want to distance myself from such scummage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Admire McGregor if you want, but the idea the guy would have the nous or follow through to work in politics is lunatic stuff. Where to even unpack the idea that McGregor would be able to play the game, or just operate at the mundane level required of local politicians?

Public anger is well and good but people want roads fixed, childcare, water leaks fixed and the bazillion other mundane issues requiring attention; politics requires compromise and horse trading - not grandstanding egos who'd (probably) make big speeches, promise ludicrous things, then never deliver when suddenly AGM minutes required reading.

Persecuting immigrants isn't gonna get someone a mortgage, or pay for childcare, or fix public transport or or or. It's the rhetoric of the belligerent and empty vessels

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

The Rural GAA crowd you mention might already get behind his cocaine policies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

exactly.

Once he sits down and has a proper discussion what is needed to set up a political party and how tough it is he will abandon such an idea , and tbh doubt he is even seriously considering it now.

"whad about de homeless?" 😂

the kind of people who badmouth the Government for not housing Irish homeless, wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire or throw them a euro, its just a great way to have a go at foreigners and the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd say Pat Spillane would batter him in a fight.

Forget the politics. Just get some promoter to get that match-up sorted.

You know that video he made during the pandemic, urging the Government to lockdown the Country. imagine any other Irish sports person making such a video, no I cant either. it was crazy stuff and shows you how deluded he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

People would want to cop on, being born in Ireland is basically winning the lottery of life for a start and anyone that wants an education can have one. This thing of people being told how bad they have it and them lapping it up drives me bananas.

is anyone trying to tell me that the scum bags looting in Dublin last night are disenfranchised because they can’t get a mortgage for a house ? They would never have been buying one anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Pretty sure most decent Irish people don't view him as a decent Irish person...

Plenty of those posters were posting the same crap during the last general election is the thing. The closest thing to a substantial far right protest amounts to a riot or a small crowd harassing politicians. If anything, I'd say the events of the past few days have resulted in people wanting "law and order" directed at those specific groups.

And most Irish people will not vote for a party with a thug and alleged rapist as the leader. We're still a million miles away from US politics which tends to be more accepting of such leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Sunjava

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Its very easy to throw out slick phrases that grab the headlines but proper suggestions require in-depth planning.

I agree that there isn't enough effort made to explain to people why things are right or wrong. But simplistic catchphrases don't help either and people who fall for them need to cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement