Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Jack flying south of the border

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

All this night raid/day raid is nonsense. The Allies could target whatever they wanted.

By 1945, maybe - but by then the Luftwaffe had most of its best pilots killed and most of its planes were grounded for lack of fuel or spare parts.

The Allies' objective was to win the war as quickly as possible and this meant concentrating the bomber offensive on military and industrial targets above all. Their own servicemen (and in the UK's case, civilians) were losing their lives the longer the war went on, the fate of civilians in occupied Europe was very much a secondary concern.

Also bear in mind that in 1944/45 Britain was under attack from German V1s and V2s, destroying their launch/storage/production sites was top priority.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Irish History

Here Dougal - what part of the following did you not understand???

The recent 4 episode HBO documentary about colonialism and imperialism (exterminate all the brutes) has a few bits about Ireland.

The man who coined the word 'GENOCIDE', Raphael Lemkin, left his papers to a museum - in one of the boxes a page was discovered with a list he wrote of countries that committed genocide in other countries. England's genocide of Irish people in Ireland was near the top of his genocide list.

So the man who coined the word genocide clearly had what the parasite that is England did in Ireland down as genocide.

He should know exactly what is meant by the word he coined - obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

This is just like the bigots in the UK that are so keen post Brexit to tell anyone critical of their tribal simplicity to up sticks and live in the EU.

It's strange how this flag freedom never quite extends to a swastika though.

I think flying a good luck symbol is more peaceful and wholesome than any national flag now one infamous band of its abusers have been overthrown :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Read the post, the word is defined, saying the same thing louder makes no difference.

I'm not saying he doesn't know what genocide means, I'm.saying he doesnt know his Irish history.

I'm saying YOU don't know what it means, and you don't know the difference between 'genocide' and 'occupation'.

Leaving you here as ive proven my point and you lack the capacity to show basic respect, so don't waste your time replying as I'm not going to waste my time reading it.

Good evening.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Nonsense - you clearly do not know what you are posting about.

You even think it is the evening when in actual fact and in reality, it is the afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Time you grew up, recognised that Ireland has moved on and we have an agreed approach as to how a United Ireland may occur should we decide to go down that road at some point. And part of that agreement requires you to be respectful to the other traditions on this island and if you can't do that then you will find yourself at odds with most of the residents in the country. Now some people including myself may not entirely agree with that approach, but that is how it is and as a Republican you must respect that decision because the alternative is fascism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Interesting discussion to read.

Maybe the British are trying to reclaim the whole of Ireland? Establish a monarchy and a feudal system. English landed gentry, snobish language, and Irish made to work on "their" lands.....

Yes, the Union Jack does look a bit unpleasant in Ireland, except on Embassies, or maybe Hotels or Sports events.

It's a bit different, if both the Irish and the British flag are flown, - in the sense of mutual recognition.

The Irish and the US-American flag do look better together, though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Maybe just fly a flag with a dove on it for peace or the hippy peace symbol?

maybe its just me but I wouldn't dare move to a foreign country and then b1tch about that country to the natives, even if it was north korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I don't see much evidence of disrespect.

I think some do seem to angle for disrespect and humour though.

The Union flag has been used for many nefarious reasons, none more so than the Tories standing in front of so many in England, when trying to sell their snake oil.

There comes a point where the sheer number of flags becomes sinister though I think. I worked all over the world but never saw so many flags as in Northern Ireland. As an English visitor, it frankly gave me the creeps. I never saw anywhere near the number in one place in London, not even in Windsor. No other nations flag seemed to require dangling from every single utility pole in some areas anywhere in the world but NI.

Doves are fine, but sometimes friends are not an asset, not even peaceful ones.

I think a swastika sends the message of luck and well being.

Maybe that's why they don't sell them on Amazon and Ebay, anyone avoiding bad luck in purchases would tend to be selective in their sources :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

"The historical fact of the matter is that the German Nazis were pussycats......"

I always thought they were.

They had so much more planned - and then those pesky Allies shut them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The Swastika was sadly abused by the Nazis for their own ideology. In the Asian countries the Swastika symbolizes something positive.

The white dove was also often abused, by the communists in Eastern Europe. East Germany or the CSSR you would see thosw white doves as a symbol of peace or "their peace", - meaning locking in people, and killing those who had different opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We need to start getting used to being inclusive with unionists as they will be our unionists in the near future

But why should we Irish have to have "mutual recognition" of the flag of 32 county Ireland with the flag of the political entity UK that claims a part of our country?

And for the record - no Irish flag can flag proudly in Ireland while to our shame and humiliation, England still occupies a part of our country.

Once they obey the democratic will of the Irish people - something the foreign ethnic British Unionists have yet to learn in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

OMG, yes there is. One was a flag with no status, that was before the State was formed, the other was the flag of a state that the PIRA were dedicated to overthrowing. Even by 1981, the SF/PIRA refused to take seats in the Dail. The usage is completely different.

Anyone with half an understanding of history would know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭droidman123

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We need to respect all minorities except those minorities who I fundamentally disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

The Brazilian government and armed forces didn't collude with loyalist terrorists in cross border operations and bombings that targeted civilians. But, then again, you know this and are just being obtuse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement