Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Jack flying south of the border

Options
  • 15-06-2023 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

I was recently driving in Co Monaghan through a place called Oram which is halfway between Castleblayney and Newtownhamilton on the other side of the border. I noticed about 5km inside the Republic there was a Union flag and an Ulster loyalist flag flying from a telegraph pole outside a house. A few minutes later in an area called Mullyash I saw another Union Jack on another pole, this was much closer to the border but still in ROI.

I couldn’t believe what I had seen. I have never seen that flag flying anywhere except the embassy and maybe a few pubs/hotels, but for it to be in a rural area like that is beyond belief. Some may say that I’m overreacting but this seriously comes as a surprise to me. Who would think this was a good idea and why that area of all places?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

Seen a load of them around recently in Dublin at those kids football tournament events. You might not have been able to do that 20 years ago or you'd receive a slap or two. Good top see us move on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Unionists and Anglophiles obviously.

What harm is it doing? It's the flag of a different country. Anyone should be free to hang up whatever flag they want on their own property.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 15,935 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Omg. Show me on this doll where the flag hurt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭10-10-20

When I was in France I saw Spanish flags hanging from residential locations. They both share a deep and mixed history, as do we and the British.

While what the OP saw could be classed as a type of provocation in the past, I think it's time we moved on and accepted that some individuals will wish to advertise their beliefs and background, and as long as it's not being used as a tool to cause division or to create a sectarian divide within a town or estate, I think it's the new Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭10-10-20

"His emotions touched me here... and here... AND HERE.."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

Spain and France don’t have any disputes over territory with each other.

The Union Jack is one thing, but the Ulster loyalist banner is a different issue. Why here, of all places were these flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I dont think any flag that isnt a flag of the Country you are in should be flown in that Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,609 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’ve often wonders who pays for the bunting, kerb painting, and flags in public spaces up north.

I’m fairly confident that if I started painting kerbs and stringing up tricolour bunting around here the council would be getting rid of it fairly quickly and I’d be looking at a vandalism fine.

No issue with on one’s own property, though.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Neither do Ireland and the UK. The NI issue was settled a long time ago. If it weren't for Brexit, it'd be only Sinn Fein on about it.

Anglo-Irish relations were extremely good until 2016 and are still ok. The Queen even visited at one point.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mikethecop

its 2023 , long past time to move on.

fighting about cloth on a pole is the mentality that caused deaths in our past

ignoring ignorant small minded provocations from either side is the best way to nullify it

• Advertisement

Different culture though. Flegs are big in NI. Less so in normal countries.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 34,616 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's just weird.

How about at sports matches? One side of the stadium is covered in the home countries flag, the other side with the visiting team is flagless?

maybe allow them at sports matches but not flying outside a house or building.

H. H. Asquith

Because if you love the other flag so much why don't you go live in that country? its like this foreigner who lives here yesterday telling me how Ireland isn't ran correctly, I was like well you now what to do so.

Master of the Universe

It isn't. It's simply someone showing pride in their own identity. Where in the Union flag does it say how Ireland should be run?

Honestly, the things some people work themselves up over....

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Well if I lived in say Iceland, I wouldnt be complaining to Icelanders about how $hit their Country is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

Never been to the battle of the Boyne site near Drogheda in July so.

It's a flag, if it was the stars and stripes would you have cared???

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

'If you love it so much why don't you go and live there' is the kind of reasoning/statement a 12 year old would make in a playground.

Why not answer the question instead of acting like you have the right to dictate what other do?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

How do you know they're not doing it for provocation? The issue is very much not settled. What do you think that Joe Biden visit was all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yep, run for office or create a movement for change!

If they live here they're as entitled to complain as anyone else, and well, they're right, our governance isn't exactly beyond criticism.

How do you know they are?

As for Biden, are you seriously asking why a US President of Irish descent and a noted Hibernophile would visit Ireland? Seriously?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,748 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Plenty of tri colours up North in case you hadn't noticed on your journey. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

What's worse is people flying flags and leaving them go to tatters in the wind & sun. If you're going to do it, do it properly.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,770 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So presumably all the Ukrainian flags that are being flown in this country should be burned down

There are plenty of things to be offended by, but really? I have seen more Polish flags in the ROI than I have seen UK ones. Where is the outrage on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,212 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Abortions for some, miniature rainbow flags for all!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Same reason they still celebrate the twelfth and I'm sure that was the real reason he was here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,684 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

its like this foreigner who lives here yesterday telling me how Ireland isn't ran correctly, I was like well you now what to do so.

He lives here? So he has a vested interest in how the country is run (ie. what services are available, what infrastructure is accessible and presumably how his tax money is spent?)

Your post about not displaying flags of other countries makes no sense (embassies might not like that rule!). People are allowed to express pride in their national identities or cultural backgrounds.

Advertisement