Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new underhand style of moderation

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When the site was busier, it was on a platform with vastly superior mod tools. Those are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I've been a "victim" of this in the last 24 hours. At least one post deleted, maybe more, no warnings received so assumed no charter breaches in the post(s), no mod note.

I don't think it's too unreasonable to ask that where posts are being deleted and its not in a case like Beasty outlined above that the mod puts up a 1 liner to say

"EGDN, couple of posts deleted, keep on topic"

Or what ever the reason was. It would literally take 20 seconds to do it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Was it in a particularly "fast moving" thread?

Probably averaging 10 posts a day over the last week or thereabouts so I would say no tbh.

The thread that I had my post removed from has had 12 posts in the last 3 days, and had about 5 posts in it on the day at the time it was removed.

I don't at all buy the "fast moving thread" excuse.

At its core is its simplicity and it's ease of action. It's absolutely not about "the most appropriate action".

It makes life easy on the mod, so it's used so often

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Vanilla’s a bit sh1t, innit…

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I cannot speak for all moderators. Only myself. I regularly add notes saying "x number of off-topic posts deleted". Sometimes I just delete an off-topic post and don't leave a note because the thread has moved on. Sometimes I PM the poster and explain that I've removed their post, rather than issue a warning.

I also understand that some moderators are dealing with forums and threads and reported posts an awful lot busier than my forums.

I have taken your points on board. I have contacted every moderator group with a link to this thread and asked that the comments are taken on board and that efforts are made to make decisions more transparent for posters.

I hope this is a satisfactory response to your original complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I dealt with 34 reports last night in an hour including one where you had responded and a number of related posts were deleted. That was between just before 11pm and just before 12pm

I was not going to spend even more time explaining every post I deleted during that time

thank you BBoC, i personally couldnt ask for anything more than my view to be taken on board, so thank you again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Musicrules

It's an internet forum lads. Some people take it too seriously. The mods have a difficult job. Let them delete posts if it makes it easier for them. It's not as if they're deleting anything that important.

The issue I have is that I dont know why the posts were deleted, if they were breaches of the charter, abusive, whatever Id have gotten a card so if I wasnt carded, a one liner to say the reason why would have been helpful. Maybe that is too much to expect 🤷‍♂️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I would imagine that the very vast majority of posts that I find the need to Delete are Off Topic posts or possibly they Quoted a post that has received a Warning or were off topic too. Some Mods do post - 'A few off topic posts deleted, get back on track please' - type commnets, some don't.

To be honest, if a post of mine was deleted ( and I was not given a Warning) I would simply presume that it was considered Off Topic and move on.

But a PM to the Forum Mods would scratch that itch if I Really needed to know.

A Mod could be dealing with a few issues between different threads/forums/bans/DRP's/warnings/pm's/reported posts etc at one time and therefore it is easier to simply Delete and Not post a one liner every time. But if a Mod had time when Deleting a post, I do think that a one liner should be posted.

But is should not be a policy that Mods Have to post when a Deletion is done - as often they might be busy, as explained but they could reply to a PM at a later stage when they might not be as busy - I hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

But a PM to the Forum Mods would scratch that itch if I Really needed to know.

Is replying to posters DM's asking for clarity on mod actions not going to take longer than a mod note at the end of deletions like, "I've deleted several off topic posts, please keep to the topic at hand"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

But a PM can be sent at a later stage, when the Mod might not be as busy, the next day for example - but a message on a thread Has to be done straight away really as the thread moves on quickly.

Also the PM would not take longer at all, as you would be simply saying - Because it was considered Off Topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If they remember why they deleted it from memory. If theyve been busy and DM sent next day thats not a certainty. Otherwise they have to go find the post and review action taken no?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Correct, however, as I mentioned previously, the very vast majority of posts I delete are because they are Off Topic. If there was a different reason - I very much doubt I would forget by the following day in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Maybe moderators would have more time for moderating if they spent less time giving life coaching ‘advice’ to posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

It may actually save them time in the future to explain each post deletion, as it would inform posters about what might get deleted and thus might prompt then not to post such stuff in future which would save the mods time in the long run.

Ok then, I know the site has become cumbersome and mods under pressure to do a thankless task, but the quick insertion of (hypothetical example):

“MOD NOTE @RTS I deleted a post of yours as it named a person who shouldn’t be named in the context of this discussion. Posters, please be careful not to name individuals. L1011

🙂

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Moderators are posters too, and are perfectly entitled to post when and where they like on the forum. Being a moderator does not preclude anyone from also being a poster.

If you ever have any problem with any post or poster you know what to do.

I will lock this thread at this stage because the issue has been addressed and will be monitored. I see no reason to leave it open for lazy potshots at volunteer moderators.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement